Question about gems (PvP Ret)

90 Human Paladin
I've read all of the guides and info online and what not, but I am getting mixed opinions.

I know Haste is extremely important for Rets atm, so is it better to socket pure yellow Haste gems and ignore socket bonuses, or is it better to do the hybrid gems, like 160 Haste/Strength, 160 PvP Power/Resil and follow the sockets?

Also, which socket bonuses are worth getting?

Mr. Robot shows gemming pure Haste and Resilience, but a lot of guides show a lot of hybrid gems over pure yellow Haste.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Str & Resil for red

Resil & Power for Blue

Resil for Yellow and Prismatic
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mm, instead of Haste, I preferred doing pure Resil gems and then hybrid resil gems for non-yellow or non-prismatic sockets. Our damage is great during burst windows, but with the prevalence of CC and damage going around, it helps soaking up that extra damage you're taking.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So, neither of you think gemming haste is a good idea?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Hydroplaning

Gemming haste is not recommended as you can reforge it from less desirable stats.

A safe route would be to do resil/power. I ran with 67% resil before I decided to ignore certain socket bonuses in hopes of doing more damage.

You're still gearing up, so at the moment you're caught in a bad situation because most people will outgear you. I would opt for trying to survive more at this point by gemming resil, however it's entirely up to you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/11/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Harthvader

Gemming haste is not recommended as you can reforge it from less desirable stats.

A safe route would be to do resil/power. I ran with 67% resil before I decided to ignore certain socket bonuses in hopes of doing more damage.

You're still gearing up, so at the moment you're caught in a bad situation because most people will outgear you. I would opt for trying to survive more at this point by gemming resil, however it's entirely up to you.

Yeah, and I am way over the PvP hit cap, because I still have PvE pieces.

Thanks for the input. I have been making resil a priority, but I am sure i'll switch it up once I get full Malev gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Hydroplaning

Thanks for the input. I have been making resil a priority, but I am sure i'll switch it up once I get full Malev gear.

You're welcome. Make sure you make haste your priority AFTER 3% hit/3% expertise as Sanctity of Battle lowers the GCD on top of the actual cooldowns.

One more thing to keep in mind as 5.1 draws to a close is to make sure you're capped on honor as you will be buying malev instead of dreadful with your honor points.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You're welcome. Make sure you make haste your priority AFTER 3% hit/3% expertise as Sanctity of Battle lowers the GCD on top of the actual cooldowns.

One more thing to keep in mind as 5.1 draws to a close is to make sure you're capped on honor as you will be buying malev instead of dreadful with your honor points.

When do you think 5.2 will be out?

I'm probably just wasting honor on Dreadful atm, huh?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Well, an educated guess would be two weeks+. My reasoning is the following: They are running a sale on all wow expansions which ends February 25th @ 11:59 PST. Secondly, this is the quote from Bashiok which is on the front page of the site: "With 5.2 fast approaching I’ve been wanting to get my thoughts together on how I should be playing in the last couple weeks before the patch."

Replacing all your contender gear by 5.2 would work to your advantage as you won't have to buy it for gold (dreadful will be crafted in 5.2). Malev will be honor bought and if I am not mistaken, you will be able to buy your T1 weapon for 3500 honor as well.

TL:DR - Replace as much gear as you can, end the season with 4k honor in the bank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Well, an educated guess would be two weeks+. My reasoning is the following: They are running a sale on all wow expansions which ends February 25th @ 11:59 PST. Secondly, this is the quote from Bashiok which is on the front page of the site: "With 5.2 fast approaching I’ve been wanting to get my thoughts together on how I should be playing in the last couple weeks before the patch."

Replacing all your contender gear by 5.2 would work to your advantage as you won't have to buy it for gold (dreadful will be crafted in 5.2). Malev will be honor bought and if I am not mistaken, you will be able to buy your T1 weapon for 3500 honor as well.

TL:DR - Replace as much gear as you can, end the season with 4k honor in the bank.

Yeah, I saw that quote, too.

I'll probably just cap honor and forget about Dreadful for now. I do decent as is and am able to cap Conquest each week pretty easily with my FDK friend.

I really appreciate all the feedback you've given me. I am pretty stoked for 5.2, seeing as how I don't have as much time to dedicate to WoW as I used to. Having full Malev will be a treat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]