To all my fellow Marksman's

90 Dwarf Hunter
Through out the time Pandaria has been out, ive had many SV and BM hunters saying im wasting my time playing MM. Also in various threads people asking for help with choosing there hunter spec have been told not to go MM in favor of the other two specs because they do way more damage. But if you have chosen MM you can do more damage than either of the other two specs in any boss fight or trash pull. While i do believe MM requires more attention to gearing, gemming, reforge and most importantly rotation than the other specs, once you have your MM hunter dialed in you will do more damage at same ilvl than beast or survival hunters. There will be arguements made about various other factors, but through out LFR's, 10 man's, or dungeons i have yet to find another spec hunter do more damage than myself at my ilvl. Rise up marksmans and get some.... Doesn't hurt to be a Dwarf MM either :)
Edited by Losvanzandt on 2/11/2013 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Marksman does more single target damage than Survival but less than Beast, while doing more AoE than Beast but less than Survival. Surv's single target isn't even under Marks by very much, nor does it beat Beast's AoE by very much either.

The problem with Marks is that there's no real reason to play it in PvE unless you're a big fan and are fine taking a loss. If you're in progress mode, you just swap between Survival and Beast to get your single target and AoE specs, while a big selling point is that they share the same reforge priority.

Marks can work, but it requires a reforge setup that doesn't work as well with the other specs and can't really do anything that dual speccing Beast/Surv wouldn't do better as more specialized roles.
Edited by Bullettime on 2/11/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I press a sht ton of buttons, kite a sht ton bosses, and reforge a sht ton of gear. I cant imagine being anything other than mm. I don't have a logical argument i just love the feel of mm rotation and needing to stay alert to play well. Ive read all the breakdown post and my dps is a bit low but in single boss fights i can let out a furry of attacks and its awesome. Sorry if im not adding anything new to the discussion i just had to write something seeing a fellow mm represent.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I dual spec'd BM to tame a core hound when I was 60 however, never played BM. When MoP came out and it was the go to spec, I tried it out...hated it...and went back to MM.

I have to pay attention to every CD and make sure that I react quickly to keep up with BM or Surv, and even then often I still fall behind.

It can work, but requires more work, attention to priority and CD's, good gear, good reforging, the right gemming, etc just to compete in DPS, but I'm not in a progressive guild and I just enjoy MM more. I pay my sub to enjoy what I play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't do much PVE but in PVP I'm always top 3 in damage. I've tried BM and Survival but I'm with Los...I love the rotation for MM. At the same gear level I've been told BM still puts out more but not enough to hands down win a duel. It still comes down to the player and whatever specs you're comfortable with.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Dear Subrosian...
Thanks for posting your opinion and i'm glad you like playing Sv/Bm. Its what everyone is doing these days. I'm sure in Kel'Thuzad you may be correct, but im talking about all the other servers. Good Luck to you. And again to all my fellow Marksmans...Go big, Go MM.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Play whatever you like, but don't piss on our legs and tell us its raining.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
02/12/2013 02:44 PMPosted by Leorina
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/12/2013 02:44 PMPosted by Leorina

Made me chuckle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Finally someone said it.

I started this toon out back in B.C. as a BM hunter, really didn't know what I was doing much less about the spec's. Towards the end of BC I read up on MM hunters, thought I would give it a try.

Never looked back.

I know for this expansion at least that I have to work my a** off to attempt to match dps, it's worth it to play a spec I enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Let me give you this one piece of advice- You are NOT wasting your time playing MM if you love it. Also, you're not necessarily losing out on DPS either. Just know that ANY PLAYER, can take ANY SPEC and make it valid. (ex. ME http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Dentarg/Muanu/ I'm in the top 25000 geared in the world- But I do enough DPS to where I'm in the top 150 in the world for MM.)

It just takes more skill that a lot of people don't have, which is why they like to take the short way out and have DPS handed to them via SV/BM rather than working at it.

I didn't choose the MM life, the MM life chose me! :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/13/2013 09:02 PMPosted by Muanu
It just takes more skill that a lot of people don't have, which is why they like to take the short way out and have DPS handed to them via SV/BM rather than working at it.

Bias opinion is bias. You have to work for BM/SV DPS (well...maybe not SV AOE +P) just as much as MM DPS. The difference is, MM caps out lower, so it takes more of an effort to reach the same point as BM/SV.

However, if you just half-[blank] BM/SV, you would lose far more DPS than if you swapped to MM and played it right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Unless you're in a Heroic-mode progression guild requiring absolute min-maxing, play the spec you want...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
02/14/2013 04:03 AMPosted by Verdash
You have to work for BM/SV DPS (well...maybe not SV AOE +P) just as much as MM DPS.

I've met several brand spanking new SV/BM hunters that are 5+ ilvls lower than me that can pull the same DPS as I can. Balancing in this game is crap.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
for pvp, I think marks is easier then BM for traps and setting up cc but it lacks burst to finish people off. However, the sustained damage is good.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/12/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Losvanzandt
I'm sure in Kel'Thuzad you may be correct, but im talking about all the other servers. Good Luck to you. And again to all my fellow Marksmans...Go big, Go MM.

When did servers ever make a difference in how well a spec does?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/13/2013 09:02 PMPosted by Muanu

I lol'd.

02/12/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Losvanzandt
Thanks for posting your opinion

It is not Sub's opinion, it is fact. Go look around, but this is obviously a troll.
Edited by Naumu on 2/14/2013 5:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
02/14/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Naumu
It is not Sub's opinion, it is fact. Go look around, but this is obviously a troll

No, it's one of the hardest specs to play to perfection. It's not close to a fact either, people use it because it's easy to play and get huge DPS at the same time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Out of the three Hunter spec, I have no doubt saying MM currently is the hardest to play IF YOU'RE TRYING TO KEEP UP. It's not a hard spec in terms of simple dps. anyone can dps and do damage to a boss. it's a matter of the amount of dps or damage your goal is. If you're trying to keep up with BM hunter's it's hard as hell making it the hardest spec of the 3. I personally play MM all the time outside of raid for fun while trying to make it work and last week I managed to keep up with other BM hunters while they were parsing. Granted it does do less but if you know what you're doing, have the right gear and don't mess the rotation up... you CAN manage to do good dmg.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]