PVP Discing

90 Undead Priest
So, I'm new to this whole healing business. I've healed BGs, but that wasn't at 90. I finally hit 90 today, and I'm completely at a loss. It might be my utter lack of gear (NO gear) but I feel like I just have no idea what I'm doing. I just spam PW:S and SS with PoH on everyone. I KNOW I'm doing it wrong, and it wouldn't fly in Arena. So what exactly should I be doing? What should I be prioritizing in stats? And what should I be glyphed/talented into? Please help a struggling new priest out!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Priests are the worst healers in PVP now .

Our survivabilityis is terrible (we rely on fear which everyone is immune to)

Our single target healing spells is garbage compared to other healing classes.

We do have very good AOE healing though , If you can survive 10seconds.

Priests are broken roll a Hpally or Shaman if you want to heal.
Edited by Insulin on 2/10/2013 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
So it's evident the priest above is struggling with survivability. That is not a problem shared by many priests, provided they know exactly what they're doing when it comes to opening up room to heal, and that they have competent partners.

Think about disc healing like this:

You put up a shield. The shield is good. Everything revolves around your shield. Once they're shielded, are they not at full HP? Get them up to full HP with Flash Heal if you can, or instants if you need.

You also want Renew on your target, try to find a spare global once they're safe to put Renew on them. Use Renew on any target taking/possibly taking damage.

In between shields, you'll want other instant spells. Cast if you can cast, but if you can't immediately cast, fall back on your instants. In PvP, think of Penance as your instant (plus how ever much casting you can afford), and Prayer of Mending as your other instant. You will use these when you don't want to stop and cast.

After you shield, you can use Penance without consuming Borrowed Time, use this to get more heals off faster.

You have two large CDs for damage mitigation; PW:Barrier and Pain Suppression. Use these to counteract a lot of incoming damage. Use Leap of Faith when you either need a friend immediately or when a friend immediately needs to move. Use Inner Focus (glyphed) when you simply must freecast.

Until Glyph of Inner Focus is made baseline, a safe way to glyph would be Inner Focus, Desperation Prayer of Mending. Once developers finally implement the change that suggests they may have hobbies other than nibbling on each others' grunt and make Glyph of Inner Focus baseline, try glyphing for Mass Dispel. EDIT: They're also making Desperation's effects baseline, so that's another free glyph slot. Mass Dispel, Prayer of Mending, SW:Death / Penance / etc.

Stack spirit and resilience, basically ignore crit and mastery. :(
Edited by Morthrek on 2/11/2013 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Everyone talks about Holy Pallies and Resto Shamans these days, you'll have to learn to ignore them. They're stupidly overpowered, every other healer is just fine. Discipline is probably one of the most rewarding specs to play well, it's worth learning.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/11/2013 02:11 AMPosted by Morthrek
Everyone talks about Holy Pallies and Resto Shamans these days, you'll have to learn to ignore them. They're stupidly overpowered, every other healer is just fine. Discipline is probably one of the most rewarding specs to play well, it's worth learning.

/facepalm

Priests in their current state are basically garbage. Hopefully the 5.2 changes level the playing field some. IMO holy priests+30% focused will+an extra glyph slot will be REALLY good in RBGs come next season.

*I'd love if holy was viable in 3s so I could run a spec I actually enjoy. Never been a big fan of disc though both may be viable in 5.2.
Edited by Gnomgnamstyl on 2/11/2013 3:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 02:10 AMPosted by Morthrek
That is not a problem shared by many priests, provided they know exactly what they're doing

02/11/2013 02:10 AMPosted by Morthrek
You also want Renew on your target

Something doesn't seem quite right here
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/12/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Propetia
Something doesn't seem quite right here

God I miss spell ranks..using rank 1 renew as a debuff dispell fodder spell if needed, etc.
Edited by Xpotiom on 2/12/2013 9:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
PoH and GH are basically no good in pvp. Just FYI

Also only try to use PW:S on targets actually taking damage otherwise you will oom..... faster.

Don't forget to utilize PW:B as an extra pain suppression. Sometimes I even use it before PS, because you can use PS while stunned (if you glyphed it which you should have.)

If you're going to use SS try to buy yourself some breathing room 1st psyfiend and some fake casts. Then use it with flash heal.

I'm still knew, but I've been pvping as disc for a little while and figured I could at least share some basics that might help.

Oh! Use AA even of you can't build to 5 stacks of evangelism. Let's say you can get of 2 smites cash it in. It's very hard to build evangelism in pvp.... at least for me.

I'm not positive, but I think spectral guise is more useful than desperate prayer.
Edited by Mizriz on 2/14/2013 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
penance
shield
renew
pom
flash heal if u need to

always penance before you shield as it gives a 40% chance to ignore shields debuff so you can pretty much shield twice in a row.

/cast [target=player] Purify
i have that macro so its super easy for me to dispel myself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Priest healing in PvP is really underpowered at this moment, but wait for 5.2 and you will be rewarded.

As Disc, you will use mostly PW:S, Flash Heal, Penance, PoM and Halo/Cascade to heal BGs and Arenas. Make wise use of your Pain Supression and use your CCs. Also don't forget to dispel.

You will also want to macro your Atonement tools to assist your target and do some DPS, for instance, I use this:

#showtooltip
/cast [harm][@targettarget] Holy Fire

and

#showtooltip
/cast [harm][@targettarget] Smite

You can also use it for Penance if you prefer to use it offensively (but this may occur that the target of your target is shielded or immune to damage, so it won't heal). It's also good to macro your Mindbender/Shadowfiend like this.

As a Healer, your job is to maintain everyone alive, but as Disc you can also do some good damage as well. I like playing offensively and this is going to be buffed in 5.2. All your spells can be macroed to attack/heal the right target whatever you're targeting, and it's very very helpful.

For PW:S I use this macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [help][@targettarget,help][@Caramelo] Power Word: Shield

You can use it for PoM, Pain Supression and any other heal. This way if you are targeting an enemy it will shield/heal the target being attacked by your target.

Good luck.
Edited by Caramelo on 2/15/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]