Guide to Soloing Tempest Keep

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
When I was still on my quest for Al'ar, I considered it my primary reason to go on WoW. When Tuesday would come around as soon as I got home from work I turned into a TK zombie: Tempest Keep now, everything else can wait. I through repetition learned the fight quite well. I even leveled toons with the sole purpose of soloing TK. I ran it on a variety of classes, roles, and ilvls. Because of this, I have learned how to do the fight many different ways, depending on the toon. Thankfully, after a combined 108 kills, Kael'Thas finally dropped my mount. This guide is for everyone who Kael'Thas continues to tease. Good luck everyone and happy hunting

--

As of MoP, Kael'Thas is soloable on all classes. Some classes may face gear requirements, but all classes can solo Tempest Keep.

Depending on your role, gear and class, you can solo the fight different ways. If your DPS is lower, you're probably going to want to solo the boss differently than someone who can pump out much higher numbers. I am going to go over the mechanics that you still need to watch out for, as well as different strategies for different toons.

The main difference between strategies is your DPS output. The main soloing strategy requires much higher DPS when soloing. DPS with pets have an additional strategy they can use, and if they choose not to use it, will still have to adjust.

There is a subtle difference between melee and range DPS (range is slightly easier) but Kael'Thas is still soloable, regardless. You can solo it as a tank as well, though if your gear is lacking it can get tricky. Classes with limited healing will most likely want to bring potions and bandages. Even if you do everything right, there is still a lot to this fight and a lot of chance involved.

Enjoy!
Edited by Sabotaj on 7/15/2013 7:55 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Basic mechanics for soloing:

As the mechanics in TK are still very important, there are some mechanics when soloing you don't want to ignore.

P1: No class at 90 should have any problem with adds; the advisers abilities are trivial one at a time.
(If healing is a problem for you class, kiting Thaladred is a good idea. If you let him smack you, it may be a good idea to pop a bubble type defensive CD to neutralize the debuff after he's dead.)

P2: Again, should not be a problem at 90. If your DPS is on the low end and you have trouble with P3 starting before the weapons are down, make sure you're interrupting the Cosmic Infuser's heal. Other than that they can be AoEd down very fast. The only weapon worth equipping still is the Staff of Disintegration: it will protect you from stuns for Telonicus as well as disorient from Kael'Thas. (Remember that you must equip the weapon and then use it for the buff.)

P3:This is the phase where things start to get messy. The advisers' abilities all together are a real nuisance, you will have to prioritize the four adds on this one or you will be CC-locked.

Grand Astromancer Capernian: She will cast a 10 second Conflaguration on you every so often. She also has the least amount of health among the advisers. When soloing, she should go down first. (melee will want to attack her with their backs to a wall as she does have a knockback that slows)

Thaladred the Darkener: He hits by far the hardest and will silence you in melee range. He can be kited and saved for last, as he walks, rather than runs, but due to his damage output, I recommend killing him second. (He does have a knockback, which can help if you want to kite him.)

Master Engineer Telonicus: He will maintain a debuff that randomly stuns you for 4 seconds
(There is no GCD on this, so it is possible to be stun locked indefinitely, however implausible). Depending on how you plan on soloing this, determines his priority.

Lord Sanguinar: Once in a while he will fear you for four seconds. At 90, his damage is trivial and is not a significant threat.

P4: Kael'Thas will become targetable and you can now work on him. Alone, you do not have to worry about MC, as he does not MC the tank. However, he can still hit fairly hard so this phase is when you want to pop CDs (offensive and defensive)
Pheonixs should not be a problem if they are killed as soon as they spawn (as well as their eggs). If left alone their AoE will add up, and if multiple pheonixs are up, this will add an unnecessary amount of damage.
Flame strike is another unnecessary damage causer. Simply step out of the large red circle.
If healing is a problem for your class, interrupt Pyroblasts (silence works best, he will cast three in a row)
Silencing him will cause him to melee which does relatively no damage.

P5: At 50% health, he will return to his spawn point. (He may cast another disorient or MC between phases)
When he returns to the ground and becomes targetable again he will throw you into the air. If you touch the ground you will be forced back up. Fly down to around his head height and begin to DPS.
When he casts netherbeams you will want to back up. It lowers you max health by a percentage each , if he gets enough stacks on you he can easily one shot you.
He will continue to spawn pheonixs but while in the air, their AoE won't hurt you; so unless you have nothing to do, you can usually leave them. His flamestrikes will also miss while you are airborn.
90 Night Elf Druid
High DPS soloing:

If you can pull the numbers, the fight is really not a problem. You can keep all the advisers in the room and the only differences are if you use the Staff of Disintegration.
In P3 you may want to take all the advisers except for Capernian to the back of the room to give you extra time to nuke her, or in case she gets off a Conflaguration.

http://tinyurl.com/tempest-keep-high-dps

If you can kill Capernian before the other advisers reach you, you might as well save any CC breaking CDs for Kael'Thas' Disorient (assuming you aren't using the staff)
Depending on how well you can heal yourself, you may also ignore the pheonix - should you be able to push P5 before a second pheonix can even spawn.
If you are not going to use the staff, then during P3 you may want to kill Telonicus 2nd or 3rd, and leave Sanguinar alive until your Remote Toy debuff expires. Those stuns can be frustrating while Kael'Thas is up.

Casters: If your DPS is high enough and healing isn't a problem for your class, the staff isn't really necessary. Otherwise using the staff is a good idea as Disorient and Flamestrike together is a nasty combination.

Melee: When positioning Capernian, keep in mind that her fireball is not bound by LoS, only by pathing. To position her where you'd like, you will have to make her chase you which can be annoying. (Hiding behind a wall will still make her run that extra little bit.)
90 Night Elf Druid
Low DPS soloing:

This is essentially only for very poorly geared DPS, tanks and 85's.
You will want to use the whole instance for the fight. Clear a full path to the beginning of the instance. You do not need to worry about Al'ar. Killing trash in the Pheonix Halls is optional, but you may accidently pull them mid-fight. The advisers will not pull trash.
If you leave the room before Thaladred becomes attackable, you can use the entire instance for the fight.
Kill Thaladred and Capernian at the very beginning of the instance (be aware they both have knockbacks and if they knock you out of the instance, the fight will reset.) If damage isn't a problem, and you have some kind of AoE type move that will hit Sanguinar while you focus on Telonicus kill Telonicus and Sanguinar both just outside Kael'Thas' chamber.

http://tinyurl.com/tempest-keep-aoe

Otherwise kill Sanguinar in the Pheonix Hall where Al'ar patrols (or patrolled if you plan on killing Al'ar first).

http://tinyurl.com/tempest-keep-low-damage

If you aren't using the staff, pop offensive CDs to kill Telonicus first and then Sanguinar until Capernian arrives (Only focus Sanguinar when there are no other advisers on you (Note: for tanks who are barely too low DPS for the previous strategy, you can use the Phaseshift Bulwark to get out of Sanguinar's fear and help with another defensive CD)) If you are using the staff, once Telonicus is down, you may want to switch back to your normal weapon for the DPS boost.
Try and get Capernian down as soon as possible. Use any CC breaking CDs on Conflaguration.
You do not want Caprenian and Thaladred up and on you at the same time. If Capernian is low, finish her off and then work on Thaladred. Otherwise it's probably a wipe.
Note: Thaladred was a teleport function. Things like falling and getting pushed into a corner may teleport you to him. I have not tested it, but you could in theory exploit this kill Thaladred before Capernian and make her run back to you.
Kael'Thas himself is essentially no different, though this strategy is much more likely to push P4 while advisers are up. If Kael'Thas does spawn while Thaladred is still up, you can kite Thaladred back while you finish him. Kael'Thas still has to run to you.
Once Kael'Thas is up and the advisers are down, the only difference soloing based on DPS is how much stress you have to put on the mechanics. (interrupts not mandatory for tanks.)
Edited by Sabotaj on 2/10/2013 10:28 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Pet soloing:

Pets can be quite useful for eating Capernian's Conflaguration. If you send your pet(s) at her before attacking her yourself, it is much easier to bring her down.

With a pet, either you or your pet will be subject to MC during P4. If you can keep yourself up, you can either tank the boss yourself and LoS your pet from MC, or dismiss your pet. I recommend sending your pet behind one of the two statues of Kael on either side.

http://tinyurl.com/tempest-keep-los

If your pet is capable of tanking, you may also LoS yourself from MC behind the statues and have your pet do all the work. You can position yourself just far enough to be within sight of your pet for healing or abilities, or you can simply stand back and wait for between MCs.
When Kael'Thas yells, "Obey me!" or "Bow to my will!" he is casting his MC. After that you have no more than 20 seconds to DPS the boss/ heal you pet. You will want to kill the pheonixs yourself if possible. You can have your pet do it, but they will hit your pet for a notable amount.
Hunters can still equip the staff, which is useful for keeping your pet safe from Disorient, but makes you rather useless. For hunters it's whichever you prefer. (I like keeping my weapon for pheonixs)
Watch out for that pesky MC he sometimes gets off in between P4 and P5. I recommend keeping you and your pet LoS until he touches the ground.
In P5, Netherbeam's debuff will affect your pet too, so move your pet away from Kael'Thas until they go away.
90 Draenei Shaman
From the walls of text, it looks like you've overcomplicated that fight so much.

Its from 4 expansions ago, we can just stand there and burn them.
90 Night Elf Druid
This was an offering to the WoW Gods to see if it would help my mount drop. It didn't.

I'm converting to WoW-athiest.
90 Human Warlock
Thank you for taking the time to explain this. And for the previous poster who said you can just sit there and burn them? Huh uh. I have a well geared lvl 90 lock (ilvl 492), and I've had a !@#$% of a time with this fight. Here's my problem:

Phase 1 and 2 are of course a breeze. Phase three is the ^-*!@. I'm essentially CC'd or silenced for 90% of that phase. I can get through it with some luck (in other words actually having enough time when I'm not CC'd to get off a few spells), but it's damned annoying. I'll try your strategy of targeting the girl first, never tried that before.

Phase 4, if I make it there, is where I seem to crash. If I use my pet (void walker), then Kael MC's me and then I blow up my pet and then the fight resets. If I don't use my pet, I get burned down somehow. Haven't done it enough to understand why, but I know the phoenixes got me once.

Maybe I'll try the trick of clearing the whole instance to see if that makes it any easier. Do you have any warlock-specific tips?

And if I'm going to go to the trouble of equipping the staff, are there any tricks to it? I guess I'll need to pick it up, equip it, and then create a quick hot button to use it? I wish it protected me from all the cc's.
85 Orc Death Knight
Phase 1: push buttons
Phase 2: pick up staff
Phase 3: equip staff
Phase 4: continue pushing buttons
Phase 5: loot
90 Orc Warlock
Phase 1: push buttons
Phase 2: pick up staff
Phase 3: equip staff
Phase 4: continue pushing buttons
Phase 5: loot
90 Human Mage
I know that this was necro bumped but for P4 I don't even bother with the Staff. I simply use every DPS cooldown that I have and burn Kael as hard as possible. There's just too much of a DPS loss by equipping the legendary staff as opposed to my normal weapon. However, it helps that I can Every Man, Ice Block, Cold Snap, Ice Block any CCs off. But when I did it this week, Kael went to P5 before he had a chance to hit me with anything.
90 Human Warlock
ok, the easiest way to do this is to go out of the room before phase 1 starts and then just kite all of them around the instance. Super easy that way. Finally solo'd it. Of course...no al' ar.
90 Human Paladin
Phase 4, if I make it there, is where I seem to crash. If I use my pet (void walker), then Kael MC's me and then I blow up my pet and then the fight resets. If I don't use my pet, I get burned down somehow. Haven't done it enough to understand why, but I know the phoenixes got me once.

Kael's MC can be LoS-ed using the pillar in his room. Just hide behind pillar until he uses MC, nuke him a bit and hide, repeat... etc.
90 Human Warlock
For what it's worth, picking up the staff never worked for me. For whatever reason, I could never get the staff buff to work. I even created a hotbutton for it, and it never worked. So, I'll just stick to clearing the hallways and kiting this fight. Much easier for me that way. Barely lose any health.
90 Draenei Hunter
Wow thanks for the guide. I have been soloing old content on my 86 death knight. I didn't have any problem with TK except the phase where Kael pops all 4 advisors. Then I just can't survive the disorient with all of them whacking me. It never occurred to me to kite them, lol. So really despite some people trying to flame you, thanks! :D

Okay just tried these tips and if you're reading this forget about it. As of 5.3 the room Kael is in locks down and you can't get out of the doors. Also even if you stand in the back of the room or wherever Kael spawns his advisors on top of you so you can expect the mage to disorient you as soon as she spawns.
Edited by Chariots on 5/22/2013 8:29 PM PDT
90 Worgen Hunter
Wow thanks for the guide. I have been soloing old content on my 86 death knight. I didn't have any problem with TK except the phase where Kael pops all 4 advisors. Then I just can't survive the disorient with all of them whacking me. It never occurred to me to kite them, lol. So really despite some people trying to flame you, thanks! :D

Okay just tried these tips and if you're reading this forget about it. As of 5.3 the room Kael is in locks down and you can't get out of the doors. Also even if you stand in the back of the room or wherever Kael spawns his advisors on top of you so you can expect the mage to disorient you as soon as she spawns.

me too my problem is my friggen health goes down because of the stun and disorient it not the dps part I did get to the final phase but when I do I am low on health.

By the way when I use the staff I do get the buff but it doesn't work ia m still stun and disorient and I am not able to use my weapons unless I switch back to my main weapon.
Edited by Bèowulf on 6/2/2013 12:37 AM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight
Not bad of a guide at all what I usually do though is sence im a blood death knight I just outbreak on phase 3 spread let the rng !@#$ ups come once they end use survivability cds and do some damage this whole phase usually takes me until phase 4 is forced still works but sometimes when the rng %^-* ups come I get dangerously low when they break because diminishing returns don't apply to their cc abilitys
90 Night Elf Druid

Once Kael'thas starts talking the fight has started. As soon as this happens you can leave the room. You aren't locked in until Thaladred becomes attackable - leaving any time before that will make kitiing through the instance possible.

For what it's worth, picking up the staff never worked for me. For whatever reason, I could never get the staff buff to work. I even created a hotbutton for it, and it never worked. So, I'll just stick to clearing the hallways and kiting this fight. Much easier for me that way. Barely lose any health.

You need to equip the staff and then use it to get the buff.
90 Human Paladin
As of 5.3 you cant pick up the staff unless you're a class that can use staffs so being a paladin is absolutely useless in this fight, there was never a moment when I want stunned, or disoriented, when all four advisors were up... any advice?
90 Pandaren Priest
Kill the chick asap, she's the one that does the extremely long disorient. Nothing you can do about the stun, Telonicus puts a 1-minute debuff on you that randomly stuns. They each have a little less than 400k health, so in good level 90 gear you can vaporize one of them before they can do anything.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]