Aliens Colonial Marines

67 Draenei Death Knight
Console FPS

^ This is all that needs to be stated, really. I knew this game would be terrible when all the dev videos showed them playing on consoles with pads.

HAHAHAH

Halo. Goldeneye. COD.

Get out of here PC fanboy. But first look at what are often considered the 2 best FPS games of all time (excluding Goldeneye which was N64 exclusive.)

Halo: Combat Evolved

Xbox-97
PC-83

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

PS3/360-94
PC-92
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
02/14/2013 08:12 PMPosted by Masturjiraya
i heard the game was a scam, anyone confirm or deny this?

They dished out a demo for some gaming journos at some point last year and they came away saying, "It was kinda impressive." Those same journos are now pointing out that the areas which they got to play in that demo aren't in the full game. Also missing are the gfx quality and a fair amount of gameplay features. A few people are calling it a bait and switch.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the gameplay previews on youtube - looked like DX9 at best and it's supposed to be a triple-A title?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/15/2013 07:54 PMPosted by Shimmerglade
i heard the game was a scam, anyone confirm or deny this?

They dished out a demo for some gaming journos at some point last year and they came away saying, "It was kinda impressive." Those same journos are now pointing out that the areas which they got to play in that demo aren't in the full game. Also missing are the gfx quality and a fair amount of gameplay features. A few people are calling it a bait and switch.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the gameplay previews on youtube - looked like DX9 at best and it's supposed to be a triple-A title?

It looks like Half-Life 2 (actually slightly worse in some areas). It would've been impressive in 2004.
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Hixson
I have to say it was kind of cool to see familiar places from the movie recreated in the game...

This was the highlight for me and the only reason I enjoyed it.
Reply Quote
Console FPS

^ This is all that needs to be stated, really. I knew this game would be terrible when all the dev videos showed them playing on consoles with pads.

HAHAHAH

Halo. Goldeneye. COD.

Get out of here PC fanboy. But first look at what are often considered the 2 best FPS games of all time (excluding Goldeneye which was N64 exclusive.)

Xbox-97
PC-83

PS3/360-94
PC-92

Perhaps 6 to 7 years ago I would agree.

However... PC hardware improves each and every year. Graphics will always be superior on PC and many would argue better as well, due to controls and that sort of thing. But it isn't just graphics. Games on consoles (especially games over the last few years) are made to play at a lower frame rate to compensate fort he lack of hardware. Battlefield 3 is a brilliant example of this. That game not only has a lower frame rate but the game play is also affected dramatically with much more limited players per server/game and smaller maps.

Games are also cheaper on PC.

I'm not dissing consoles, I own both a PS3 and a 360. But I will say that playing a game on PC is much more comfortable for me. Easier to control (subjective), better graphics (subjective) and much smoother experience (fact).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Console FPS

HAHAHAH

Halo. Goldeneye. COD.

Xbox-97
PC-83

PS3/360-94
PC-92

The two best FPS's of all time? You're absolutely delusional. Try CounterStrike 1.6 and Quake 3 Arena / Quake Live .
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Death Knight

HAHAHAH

Halo. Goldeneye. COD.

Xbox-97
PC-83

PS3/360-94
PC-92

The two best FPS's of all time? You're absolutely delusional. Try CounterStrike 1.6 and Quake 3 Arena / Quake Live .

I like CS but oh boy is that game overrated. Its pretty much just there so PC fanboys can go "Hey, look! We have decent FPS games too!"

And I don't know, I hate Quake.

HAHAHAH

Halo. Goldeneye. COD.

Xbox-97
PC-83

PS3/360-94
PC-92

Perhaps 6 to 7 years ago I would agree.

However... PC hardware improves each and every year. Graphics will always be superior on PC and many would argue better as well, due to controls and that sort of thing. But it isn't just graphics. Games on consoles (especially games over the last few years) are made to play at a lower frame rate to compensate fort he lack of hardware. Battlefield 3 is a brilliant example of this. That game not only has a lower frame rate but the game play is also affected dramatically with much more limited players per server/game and smaller maps.

Games are also cheaper on PC.

I'm not dissing consoles, I own both a PS3 and a 360. But I will say that playing a game on PC is much more comfortable for me. Easier to control (subjective), better graphics (subjective) and much smoother experience (fact).

Well one would certainly assume a thousand dollar machine would run better than a 300 dollar one.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The reason that console ports of FPS games "generally" get better reviews than the PC versions is this: consoles have FAR less hardware capability. People that play on consoles are used to it. Thus, it takes less to impress them. Even a mediocre shooter on a PC generally has graphics that blow away current-gen consoles. When a "new" console generation comes out, the graphics look like state of the art gaming PC's from 4 years ago.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
Perhaps it sticks around long enough for modders to add more life to it...
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
I will wait for a Steam sale to pick it up just for the single player.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I remember seeing commercials for the game before it was out and thinking to myself 'that game looks like it was made in 2000'. Needless to say I am not surprised it was bad.
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Death Knight
02/16/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Mogrigg
The reason that console ports of FPS games "generally" get better reviews than the PC versions is this: consoles have FAR less hardware capability. People that play on consoles are used to it. Thus, it takes less to impress them. Even a mediocre shooter on a PC generally has graphics that blow away current-gen consoles. When a "new" console generation comes out, the graphics look like state of the art gaming PC's from 4 years ago.

Heres the thing, when a console is new, it doesn't look that good. While console hardware doesn't change, the games look better as time goes on because developers know how to manipulate the technology they have. Look at Halo 3 and look at Halo 4. Same console, but 5 years later.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/17/2013 11:45 PMPosted by Phitz
I will wait for a Steam sale to pick it up just for the single player.

Don't bother, unless it's like $2.50 and you really have a morbid fascination with this IP.

One of the chief areas of complaint is the single player game. Hell, the whole game has serious issues, that's why everyone is dumping on it.

It could have been cool, but it's simply not. Best avoided.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
Another thing that puzzled me is that game is around 21GB big. Yet Doom 3, which was made 8(?) years ago and is around 1.2GB, has better graphics than Aliens.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Though I had no interest whatsoever in playing this game, it's been rather interesting to see all of this unfold. I too, saw the commercials for it upon its release and thought, "What the hell kind of graphics are these? That's terrible!"

If only the graphics were the only bad thing about it.

I'm interested in hearing what Gearbox and Sega have had to say about this, especially given the whole "Bait and Switch" debate that is going on. Needless to say, they got some explaining to do.
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Death Knight
Though I had no interest whatsoever in playing this game, it's been rather interesting to see all of this unfold. I too, saw the commercials for it upon its release and thought, "What the hell kind of graphics are these? That's terrible!"

If only the graphics were the only bad thing about it.

I'm interested in hearing what Gearbox and Sega have had to say about this, especially given the whole "Bait and Switch" debate that is going on. Needless to say, they got some explaining to do.

I remember trailers and screenshots that looked pretty damn good too
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
/sigh

I wanted this game to be good. I really did. I love the movie Aliens but I HATE that it made the Aliens bullet fodder. It takes away the fear. Although the Alien Queen kind of makes up for it in the "holy crap" feeling of the movie.

This game didn't look like the demos I've seen. Those parts weren't even in the sodding game! So we got a bait and switch and no one really knows who made the game.

It just sucks to wait years for something only for it to be dead on arrival. I miss SCARY Aliens. Does no one remember the first movie? It was scary because you rarely saw the Alien ( They did the Jaws method. Have a crappy monster prop? Just don't show it as much )

Even the first AVP movie had it partially right by showing ONE Alien take on 2 Predators and win in under 2 minutes. Turning Aliens into bullet fodder shooter stuff takes away what makes the monsters special to the fans. This happens with every shooter game that tries to be scary. Being armed to the teeth to fight the monsters IS NOT SCARY. Have the player go through the game with nothing but a radar and a pistol. THEN it would be scary and actually be a survival game.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
/sigh

I wanted this game to be good. I really did. I love the movie Aliens but I HATE that it made the Aliens bullet fodder. It takes away the fear. Although the Alien Queen kind of makes up for it in the "holy crap" feeling of the movie.

This game didn't look like the demos I've seen. Those parts weren't even in the sodding game! So we got a bait and switch and no one really knows who made the game.

It just sucks to wait years for something only for it to be dead on arrival. I miss SCARY Aliens. Does no one remember the first movie? It was scary because you rarely saw the Alien ( They did the Jaws method. Have a crappy monster prop? Just don't show it as much )

Even the first AVP movie had it partially right by showing ONE Alien take on 2 Predators and win in under 2 minutes. Turning Aliens into bullet fodder shooter stuff takes away what makes the monsters special to the fans. This happens with every shooter game that tries to be scary. Being armed to the teeth to fight the monsters IS NOT SCARY. Have the player go through the game with nothing but a radar and a pistol. THEN it would be scary and actually be a survival game.

Indeed. Though this game isn't technically Survival Horror, a good majority of games today that claim to be Survival Horror seem to get the "Survival" part terribly wrong. Looking at you, Resident Evil 6.

Thankfully, there are games out there that can still instill terror into people, whether they be the older games (Resident Evil before the crap we've gotten these days, for example) or more recent titles (DayZ, Amnesia, Corpse Party, Slender, for example).

Again, with the amount of negative reception this game has been getting, I am very, VERY interested in hearing Gearbox and Sega explain themselves. If anything, it'll be somewhat entertaining.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
/sigh

I was really interested in the game and didn't really watch the "demo". But I always said, I would wait and see how it was before I bought it. And hoo boy, am I ever glad I decided to wait. From what I understand the entire game looks like something on the original Xbox and the E3 demo was just a bait and switch. The most flattering review I heard said "I would think this was a decent game if it was in the bargain bin for $5".

I'm just waiting to see what the fallout is. I can't honestly see ANYONE buying any DLC for this game, short of Gearbox saying "Oops, our bad, we released the wrong build, here's the real game". The funny thing is, Gearbox USED to make decent games. They made Half-Life: Opposing Force. Duke Nukem Forever I don't fault them for. They bought it from someone that was going under, and inherited 12 years of development hell, and did their best to patch up what they had and get it out.
Edited by Mogrigg on 2/18/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
/sigh

100% agree. This is exactly how I feel.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]