Anyone else notice...

82 Blood Elf Paladin
That prot pally's are ludicrously strong while leveling? I mean like doing more then 50% of the damage in an entire 5-man group strong? Like never, ever, having to use a defensive cooldown strong?

My main is a rogue, I died while leveling, a lot. I had to work hard in dungeons to keep up and in pvp I had one shot and if I messed it up it was over.

Made a paladin tank as an alt because I could never kill them in pvp, and I just can not believe how insanely strong this class is.

It is the easiest class I have ever played, by a long shot.

I could literally scrap half my abilities and still be fine.

At 75 I did violet hold, by myself. I am not best in slot or even close to using this toon to the best of its abilities and I literally have never once, found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to dominate the task at hand.

I can remember maybe twice where I was not top dps in a dungeon, as a tank. And compared to other tanks I have tried, druid I had to work to keep aggro, warrior I had to watch my health and cooldowns. Pally just has a buff the gives them aggro, and the self heals are just so, unbelievably abundant and powerful.

I don't feel right playing this toon, I feel like prot pally's are those rich kids at school that just have everything handed to them, spoiled and ignorant.

I am sure it gets harder end game, everything is balanced with end game in mind I know that and I am sure it does take real skill to tank as a pally in raids.

But as far as leveling..

To be doing the same amount of damage as three dps combined? When they are equally geared? This is what you pally's have been doing? This is the game you play?!

Ahh! So many questions!

Why are dungeons that are yellow soloable? My rogue would have been destroyed and I learned everything I could about that class.

I am just baffled that my experience of leveling my first toon in wow was so different then what you pally's experience.

So my real question is, to all of you protection paladins out there, are you satisfied with gameplay this incredibly easy? Have you ever even... you know..died? Like have you seen a spirit healer before? Especially human paladins, you picked the most boring race (really, a fantasy game with trolls and dwarfs and elves and you picked humans? ) with the most overpowered racials (pre-raid gearing IS reputation and enjoy your third trinket), and then you picked the most face roll spec ever and its you guys with /spit macros in pvp, feel proud.

To all of the other prot paladins, if your pally is your only toon then please, if you have the time and the desire, re-roll, you have been robbed of a chance to experience the challenges of leveling a toon in this game.

Step out of your comfort zone, step out of the bubble, literally and try rolling a pure. You will be blown away when you realize you have to use defensive cooldowns, that carrying potions and leveling first aid is actually worthwihile. That when a quest is red it means you can't do it by yourself (Gasp!) I know it's crazy. I think you will have fun though, even without the "make me indestructible" button.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
All the other paladin's.

"Dude this guy is totally on to us. Shhh don't respond or they will nerf us."
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Welcome to low level tanking. All tanks will do the most damage until ~80+, and dungeons aren't really threatening at all until 70+ (and even that's debatable).
Edited by Keten on 2/11/2013 9:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Paladin
This just in; Vengeance is OP, drastically so at lower levels. We will cover this story and more in our segment "Tanking classes have more survivability than non-tanking classes" with a groundbreaking discovery on the little known fact that classes that can heal themselves can solo more content than classes that can't
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sure, paladins can survive quite well and even put out a ton of damage in dungeons. You know what we can't do? Kill stuff quickly and efficiently at MoP levels while questing. It is hard for us to die while questing, but respawns can be a problem because spread-out mobs take too long to gather up and kill.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Velmorna
Kill stuff quickly and efficiently at MoP levels while questing

Meh, almost every class goes through this my rogue was energy starved til 90.

02/11/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Bilium
So my real question is, to all of you protection paladins out there, are you satisfied with gameplay this incredibly easy?

I guess this is what I am most curious about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins aren't any easier to level than most classes. Hell, my priest was more survivable than my paladin was (as in, he took essentially no damage and rarely had to stop whereas my paladin would at least have to stop to heal after each enemy).

Rogues may have it tough, I don't know. I haven't gotten one that high recently. If so, that just means rogues have issues, not that paladins are easy.
Edited by Keten on 2/11/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I have three 90s, an 87, an 86, an 85, and an 83 - respectively, plate, Bear, Monk, Enhance, Mage. DK, Bear, and Monk are tanks; Pally and Warr were both leveled as DPS.

Tanks, as naturally defensive powerhouses, are pretty much the easiest things to level ever since they take little-to-no damage but, at higher levels, put out meager-to-okay levels since Vengeance and weapon scaling become...weaker, I guess is the best way to put - my Monk and Bear, though, have the benefit of leveling with a 471 blue weapon (Spear of Xuen with JP upgrades FTW), so they just tear through everything.

After that, I think the easiest to level from a survivability standpoint has probably been the Mage, since you can pretty much control whether or not you get hit. All ranged are probably like that, though, as you should be able to kill pretty much anything before it even closes the distance. Leveled my Shammy as Ele through Cata, and he was a lot like that, too.

For the others, all of whom are MDPS, the Warrior was by far the worst (little experience on the Shammy thus far, and he has been leveling alongside my wife's Pally which is not exactly a fair comparison). The Ret and Enh were also both DS geared, where my Warr was only hHoT-geared, and I'm sure that extra gear contributed - particularly the weapons and multiple set bonuses.

Should add that I do have a Rogue at 43, and he has been amazingly squishy; but between leather, resource-starvation, and positioning requirements, any difficulty leveling a Rogue is all on the class...Well, mostly on the class. If you tend to excel at stealth-based gameplay, it might not be so bad, but I'm pretty much always a door-crasher, so the stealth approach really isn't up my alley.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Bilium
So my real question is, to all of you protection paladins out there, are you satisfied with gameplay this incredibly easy?

I guess this is what I am most curious about.

Pre-90, and most of 90 gameplay is incredibly easy. All of my non-level capped tanks/nontanks set up for specific soloing can solo instances around their level.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
It's nice getting insight from players with multiple high level toons I guess I maybe struggled a lot more with my rogue because I was less experienced, and didn't have plate armor, or self heals, or a bubble, or insane aoe damage.

02/11/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
For the others, all of whom are MDPS, the Warrior was by far the wors

That is funny because warrior is what I considered trying next now that they are getting nerfed down a bit.

02/11/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Cayse
All of my non-level capped tanks/nontanks set up for specific soloing can solo instances around their level.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. But maybe its true, however that still doesn't answer the question.

Are you satisfied with gameplay this easy? Should 5-man dungeons/bosses really be soloable by (apparently) the majority of classes? Is this why when some people hit 90 they get destroyed because they never had to actually play their class before?

...is this why people pvp?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
For the others, all of whom are MDPS, the Warrior was by far the worst

That is funny because warrior is what I considered trying next now that they are getting nerfed down a bit.

Well, I leveled mine as Fury from about 60 on - started back in Wrath when TG was a tree-cap talent. When everything converted to the new MoP paradigms, I hadn't really touched my Warrior since...Early August, I think? So there was also a bit of a steep relearning curve involved. But, without hit and expertise, they seem to be Rage starved pretty bad - even in Berserker, which is supposed to generate Rage when hit and while hitting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Bilium
All of my non-level capped tanks/nontanks set up for specific soloing can solo instances around their level.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. But maybe its true, however that still doesn't answer the question.

When DMF drops were really valuable, I had an xp-off 60 specifically to solo farm BRD. It was fun, and I could do Emperor runs in about 20 minutes. I have a number of toons in that level range, and the only instance that is actually troublesome while solo is ramparts, because there's an excessive amount of stuns, disarms, and healing debuffs. (There's a lot of those in BRD and BRS, but the the things in there also do far less damage)

Are you satisfied with gameplay this easy? Should 5-man dungeons/bosses really be soloable by (apparently) the majority of classes?

The game just is not designed to be balanced below level cap, and very little attention is paid to it. And because you're a paladin there's a hilarious way to demonstrate it. Get the glyph of harsh words. Hit a dummy until you have 3HP and then hit it with shield of the righteous. Then do it again, except use a 3HP harsh word on it.

Much of the game's leveling process, specifically the instances, are basically unchanged from classic and were designed to be done with the gear and talents that we had access to at that time. The difference between even identically geared low level toons from now and from classic is a world apart in terms of what they're capable of. Basically the only thing that did change was that bosses health pools were buffed fairly significantly for Cataclysm because they were literally at a point where a geared toon could two or three shot them.

Is this why when some people hit 90 they get destroyed because they never had to actually play their class before?

Yes, that has a lot to do with it. Also botting.

...is this why people pvp?

Nope. It's why people cry about pvp being hard/unfair though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While questing, if my Exorcism crits, I've killed my target twice over.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tanks at low levels unless bad usually top damage charts quite easily. Once you hit cata dungeons it starts to slow down a lot...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]