Paladin's...lend me your ears..RET - PROT ?

90 Undead Priest
Ok so I have been leveling my alt as a RET. I am now in Pandaria and was wondering is it still best to level as RET ?

I was thinking of making this guy a tank for end game but I just have no exp as an end game Pally. Are the Paladin's even viable as an end game Tank? or is it better to just stay a RET?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
If you want to tank, go Prot now - all you really need to look for is a shield and a one-hander to get started; you'll hit 90 with a full set of solid gear and the necessary experience to excel.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/11/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
If you want to tank, go Prot now - all you really need to look for is a shield and a one-hander to get started; you'll hit 90 with a full set of solid gear and the necessary experience to excel.

I assume the leveling process will be a bit slower..... correct?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Wow....dead thread....any other Pally's wanna chime in?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Questing, likely yes, unless you pull a lot and have a really good weapon. But you're just about guaranteed instant dungeon queues, and those few dungeon quests offer good amounts of XP.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Yeah the queues will be short but I don't want to just slog along questing to the point it is so slow I get stagnant.

Im just sort of torn on what to do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
AoE grinding as protection hasn't been possible as far as I know for quite a long time, at least not the way it used to be in Vanilla and BC. Blocking doesn't reduce nearly as much damage and we don't have any reflective damage anymore.

However, you'll be able to run dungeons pretty much back to back, so if you don't mind that, you'll be just fine.

Or you could do what I did and just dual spec. Ret gear is fine for tanking normal dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/11/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Stmichael
Or you could do what I did and just dual spec. Ret gear is fine for tanking normal dungeons.

Well........I guess thats good to hear. Tanking in Ret gear on normal dungeons is the kind of advice I was looking for. I will give it a shot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 05:48 PMPosted by Lovedoctor
Are the Paladin's even viable as an end game Tank? or is it better to just stay a RET?

Paladins are one of the best tanks right now, right there with Druids
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Right now, Paladins can tank heroics in Ret gear - and probably raids, too - because of how good haste is for Prot, since they got Sanctity of Battle (haste lowers CD and GCD of pretty much every main rotational ability - means more frequent SotRs).
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
Unfortunately my experience has been just the opposite. i lvled my pally as a tank from day one and he truly was my favorite toon. Then out comes MoP. Wow what a nightmare. control and threat are no longer there. I am having to do the healers job by using Word of glory and lay on hands. our guild healer has told me i am the "Squishiest" tank he has seen. I am in 463 gear as of this and that's where he will stay i think. I am sure i am doing something wrong, but when asking for help on my server i just get laughed at. I am sure i will figure it out some day but for now i have duel spec ed my DK as blood much easier and a lot more fun. my Warrior tank is lvl80 and still does great and has potential. I will try reforging to haste, and we will see.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]