Prot Gemming and Enchanting

90 Human Paladin
After reading the Prot Pally guide quite some time ago I realized that the author posted some weird gems and enchants for us, and I know they aren't right. I have 4 blue Stam gems and plan on replacing them. I don't know what to replace them to, though! For enchanting, what do I want to be using? I have Ironscale right now but I'm not sure if that's the best one, although I only know of Angerhide as another leg armor for plate wearers. Please list all of the enchants and gems you other Haste Pallies use.
Edited by Vhorrin on 2/11/2013 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Rogue
What gems were weird?

From what I recall it's expertise/haste for yellow, experise/stam for blue/purple, and straight expertise for red depending on how far along the hit cap you are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not sure really, just feel like I need MOAR HASTE. Maybe I don't have enough secondary stats on my gear to feel good about all 3 stats (Haste, Hit, Exp)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haste is good, but it's not as important as hit and expertise capping. Get to the caps, then worry about stacking haste.

Replace your Carbonic Carbuncle with a Ghost Iron Dragonling with hit/expertise/haste cogwheels. That's a ton of passive stats right there.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's pretty simple. Cap hit and expertise and then go haste or mastery. Both work well, but most people prefer haste because i adds damage.

I don't think Bassm advised anything other than that, though.

Gem expertise if you have to in order to cap. Pick up the Lessons of the Darkmaster from Scholomance if you can. Secondary stats are your best bet on trinkets, so getting the mastery one from heroics would also help, or better yet, Lei Shin's Final Orders from LFR Will of the Emperor.

Also, grats on Helios! I've yet to even see an epic drop from heroics.

One last thing: Pandaren step does nothing while using Pursuit of Justice. Did you get that form Noxxic?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Just gem lots of expertise at your gear level. Exp in red, Exp/Haste in yellow, and Exp/Hit in blue. Since our Expertise goal is so ridiculously high (15%!), it's pretty much impossible for you to outgrow those gems, so they'll never be obsolete and you won't replace them. You can just reforge around them as you get new pieces.

Strength really is nothing to aim for, it's not bad (better than pure avoidance) but it's not particularly valuable either. Stamina is solid - you don't need to stack it mind you, especially not outside of heroic raids, but it's always a useful stat. You should definitely stick with the traditional "tank" leg armor - maybe if it was Strength/Haste it might be a closer call :-P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's pretty simple. Cap hit and expertise and then go haste or mastery. Both work well, but most people prefer haste because i adds damage.

I don't think Bassm advised anything other than that, though.

Gem expertise if you have to in order to cap. Pick up the Lessons of the Darkmaster from Scholomance if you can. Secondary stats are your best bet on trinkets, so getting the mastery one from heroics would also help, or better yet, Lei Shin's Final Orders from LFR Will of the Emperor.

Also, grats on Helios! I've yet to even see an epic drop from heroics.

One last thing: Pandaren step does nothing while using Pursuit of Justice. Did you get that form Noxxic?

Thanks for the grats :). I got that I was supposed to use Pandaren's Step from Bassm's guide, that is VERY helpful info that it does nothing while you have PoJ. I'll make sure I switch out of that next time I log on.

Haste is good, but it's not as important as hit and expertise capping. Get to the caps, then worry about stacking haste.

Replace your Carbonic Carbuncle with a Ghost Iron Dragonling with hit/expertise/haste cogwheels. That's a ton of passive stats right there.

Don't I need engineering to gem Cogwheel Sockets? Also, that would bring down my iLvl which I'm trying hard to boost up so I can do the 470 LFR raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just gem lots of expertise at your gear level. Exp in red, Exp/Haste in yellow, and Exp/Hit in blue. Since our Expertise goal is so ridiculously high (15%!), it's pretty much impossible for you to outgrow those gems, so they'll never be obsolete and you won't replace them. You can just reforge around them as you get new pieces.

Strength really is nothing to aim for, it's not bad (better than pure avoidance) but it's not particularly valuable either. Stamina is solid - you don't need to stack it mind you, especially not outside of heroic raids, but it's always a useful stat. You should definitely stick with the traditional "tank" leg armor - maybe if it was Strength/Haste it might be a closer call :-P

Alright, I'll make sure I continue to use the Ironscale Leg Armor and ill start gemming the Exp soon. Thanks guys :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Any words on my enchants other than leggings and boots? I'm not sure if these are okay or not, as I'm not very familiar with what enchants are available and for what slots.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
you don't need to be an engi to use the cogwheels. Also, your ilvl is based on the gear in your bags, so just keep a 463 trinket in your bag and use the dragonling. It's a pretty potent trinket, and you may keep it for quite some time.

Your enchants seem great. The only thing you could change is swapping the 200 stam on your cloak to 180 hit, but I wouldn't bother unless you're having trouble capping hit/exp.

Pandaren step is great if you're using Long Arm or Speed of Light, because tank mobility is really important, but if you're one to choose PoJ, just grab the haste on boots instead.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]