Gear Idea for Random BGs

90 Undead Priest
Not sure if this idea has been brought up before, but would be kind of shocked if it hasn't, but how does this sound:

Everyone's gear in Random Battlegrounds are scaled to the same ilevel, or there's a set of random bg gear that only works in random bgs, since some classes use different secondary stats obviously.

Currently I would say the vast majority of people playing random BGs are people who are bored with all their gear already, or people who are fresh 90s trying to gear up. What happens is pretty obvious, the more geared person dominates the lesser geared people because of how important gear is. This makes it no fun for the fresh 90 and probably the person who outgears everyone unless they just like dominating everyone because of their gear.

This change would make random BGs more fun in general for everyone and not make queuing for random bgs just a terrible experience for people having to gear up, or a free ride for people who have geared up (since they're random bgs and don't matter anyways), it would also make randoms, even though not very important, more about which team is better, and not which team is more geared.

tldr; Everyone has same gear/stats in Random BGs ONLY (not rated stuff) to make it more fun for everyone and not put you at an extreme disadvantage just for being a fresh 90.
Edited by Caxian on 2/11/2013 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So what you're saying is when i join a random bg my gear would change to a certain itemlevel or what? I kind of understand what you mean but that'd be a tough thing to implement since that'd be dozens of new armor blizzard would have to make
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/11/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Romanticide
So what you're saying is when i join a random bg my gear would change to a certain itemlevel or what? I kind of understand what you mean but that'd be a tough thing to implement since that'd be dozens of new armor blizzard would have to make

they have the system in challenge modes. it scales any gear above 463 to 463 ilvl
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
this is a horrible idea
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
too bad no one on blizzards end will eve read this caxian haha
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Or how about, instead of posting this crap which has already been posted numerous times, come up with something more reasonable like separate BGs by ilvl, 2 brackets (kind of like normal dungeons/heroic dungeons).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/11/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Jugaa
come up with something more reasonable like separate BGs by ilvl, 2 brackets (kind of like normal dungeons/heroic dungeons).

Wouldn't this just make queues longer? Don't see the problem with scaling since it's already done in challenge modes, or a generic set of gear, OR a honor/conquest gear vendor and have it have the stamp of "Random BGs only" or whatever
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/11/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Caxian
Don't see the problem with scaling since it's already done in challenge modes,

PvP is different than PvE. Why punish people who already earned their gear by taking it away in randoms?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Because we want Skill > Gear

02/11/2013 09:56 PMPosted by Jugaa
Don't see the problem with scaling since it's already done in challenge modes,

PvP is different than PvE. Why punish people who already earned their gear by taking it away in randoms?

Because it should always be about Skill over gear
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Because randoms don't matter? They're for fun/achievements/gearing up. Why punish people for being a fresh 90? It's to make it more about fun and less about gear, a more even playing field. Not: everyone healbot the t2 players while he crushes the quest gear people
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/11/2013 10:00 PMPosted by Romanticide
Because we want Skill > Gear

With OP classes, and burst, that's not possible now... The OP classes will be the "geared" people if all gear were normalized.

02/11/2013 10:00 PMPosted by Caxian
Because randoms don't matter?

To you maybe. Randoms are mostly all I do, other than a bunch of RBGs each week.
Edited by Jugaa on 2/11/2013 10:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
With OP classes, and burst, that's not possible now... The OP classes will be the "geared" people if all gear were normalized.

It would still be more about fun and skill and would give the fresh 90s a chance, or the people who haven't gotten that much gear yet a chance to do something and not just flop over when someone with gear looks at them. OP stuff CAN be overcame if everyone is in equal gear and one is more skilled than the other. It's still harder I agree, but it's much harder when they outgear you by a ridiculous amount. It would make more people want to queue for randoms and would make farming bgs less of a terrible experience.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It won't happen, don't hold your breath...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
To you maybe. Randoms are mostly all I do, other than a bunch of RBGs each week.

So you'd rather beat the team/other people because you outgear them and not outskilled them? Randoms don't matter in a sense that they're not rated, they're for FUN and for gearing up mostly. It'd be more FUN if everyone was on equal footing gear wise. Unless, like i said before, you only enjoy beating people cause you've spent more time playing your toon than they have or you're a main and they're an alt. After 3 shotting them once it doesn't sound like much fun at all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/11/2013 10:15 PMPosted by Caxian
It'd be more FUN if everyone was on equal footing gear wise.

Yea because people don't try to win enough as it is. You take out the incentive for honor, and it only gets worse. And yes, I know, people will still need to gear up, but if everyone was mostly on equal footing, you wouldn't need that much gear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/11/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Jugaa
Or how about, instead of posting this crap which has already been posted numerous times, come up with something more reasonable like separate BGs by ilvl, 2 brackets (kind of like normal dungeons/heroic dungeons).

No...No...... NO... NO!!!

Do you not realize that you're asking for hour long battleground queues?

Look, let's face it.

There will ALWAYS be an imbalance in 90 randoms. Those who are foolish enough to go into randoms as a fresh 90 are just that - foolish.

Why are we complaining about this right near the end of the current PvP season?
It's ALWAYS like this the last month or so of a PvP season. Whiney kids QQ'ing about being one and two-shotted... /facedesk.

If you insist on running randoms constantly, make a five man group with some knowledgeable people and run randoms all day. Get in some form of communication outlet (Skype, vent) and have fun.

The honor will start to rack up.

Gear completely buries skill at this point in the game. A person who's played frost mage for years in full contender's/dread will get stomped on by a novice arms warrior in malevolent. It's that simple.

This idea of "Gear Normalization" is just completely retarded
Edited by Calloffruity on 2/11/2013 10:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

I was saying I would rather ilvl brackets more than gear normalizing, not that I would ask for either.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/11/2013 10:18 PMPosted by Jugaa
you wouldn't need that much gear.

You would need gear for the rated BGs or arenas or whatever, just not for the random BGs that don't count for anything except having fun/gearing up. The incentive for honor is to gear up for RATED things, not RANDOM things.

02/11/2013 10:20 PMPosted by Calloffruity
If you insist on running randoms constantly, make a five man group with some knowledgeable people and run randoms all day.

If, as a fresh 90, you queue with 4 other geared people, that's called being carried. I'm not asking for bigger honor gains, or faster honor gains, I'm asking for equal footing in RANDOM battlegrounds only. Even if you are in a 5man group, you as the fresh 90 aren't doing anything except giving the other team a moving target while the other 4 people kill their team.

Don't understand why wanting an enjoyable and 'balanced' experience, in a place where nothing is at stake other than fun (random bgs), while farming honor for gear for rateds is too much to ask for.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

I was saying I would rather ilvl brackets more than gear normalizing, not that I would ask for either.

You missed the point entirely..

For example, an iLevel bracket of 455-465 would target a very small percentage of players wanting to queue in randoms. It would take a long time to get in one.

Besides that, most dreadful geared people would be in that bracket anyways, destroying the non-geared and contender's geared people.

It just won't happen.

Random BG balance, "giving all players and equal footing", or whatever you choose to call it has been heard before by Blizzard and ignored.

You're free to argue, bicker, and rant on below, but you'll be going nowhere in your "quest" to balance PvP.
Edited by Calloffruity on 2/11/2013 10:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Honestly this is a great idea, the point of a video game is to have fun right? So why not make a leveled plain in BGs in order for ever team to have a fighting chance no matter who is on the other end.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]