Help on 10man MV

90 Blood Elf Priest
I did it for the first time the other night and it was ugly.

I'm having alot of trouble with Feng the Accursed and was the main reason our group wiped a half dozen times with him. Some of it I learned by trial and error, but others I can't figure out.

• I'm not sure which move it is that causes it (Draw flame? Flaming Spear?) but it's when the entire team takes a major DoT that puts everyone at low health and it seems to occur once a minute or so. Phase 1-2 I think. I want to Spirit Shell it ahead of time but I'm lost as to where the indicator is that lets me know to start it.
  • Like Spirit Shell, I'm unsure of the best moments to use Power Word: Barrier with major damage incoming. I've found myself looking at Feng's CD timers and trying to time it, but idk what exactly to look out for and I'll use it at the wrong times.
  • Some of the problems was due to lack of communication (most players in the raid where using vent, which I was not apart of until the end, and then I was without a Mic so I was kind of excluded sadly) but I felt like I was thrown into the lions den due to not knowing all of the ability mechanics. Any help?
    Edited by Nallely on 2/12/2013 12:40 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    If I remember correctly he does the earth phase first. That's where a lot of damage starts to happen. The AoE is called Epicenter, he smashes the ground and causes damage to everyone. There is a barrier ( I'm not sure what its called, but its pretty & blue! ) it will happen every other turn. ( Its a gem that a tank should pick up, it will spawn when you pull feng on the right side of the room )

So lets say you use the blue barrier for the first epicenter, SS for second, blue barrier third, and priest barrier fourth, etc.

The second phase should be fire, SS should be used when he draws in the fire for Draw Flame. Also I think ( do not quote me on this ) that if you use the barrier every other time, it will cancel out his draw flame.

And then comes arcane ( yay, smiles ) things get pretty intense. Arcane velocity is the great time for SS. It causes the aoe raid damage, and stacking up can help. Do note that do NOT let the person who is exploding everywhere stack. Have them use a personal CD, or you'll just have to heal them through it. Also note, that sometimes timing can be out of whack, and during stacking ( if you decided to do so ) that someone CAN start exploding in the raid. One must move away.

Edit: I forgot to note that the blue barrier will also work on arcane. You can use the same rotation for this as epicenter.
    Edited by Valarina on 2/12/2013 12:50 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    For Draw Flame (when he sucks in the wildfire and starts pulsing aoe) you should only have to heal one of those, the others should be canceled with barrier. Wait until he sucks in the flames, then pop cds and roll SS on the raid. Ideally you'll get 1 cast of PoH on each group before the pulsing starts. Don't forget PoM and Cascade.

PW: Barrier is useful for epicenters that get through and for un-bubbled Arcane Velocity in the final phase (which you should also Spirit Shell. If you start just after the bubbled Velocity it will be stacked for the unmitigated one).

As always make sure you're on the same page with your co-healer regarding cds.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    02/12/2013 12:40 PMPosted by Nallely
    but I felt like I was thrown into the lions den due to not knowing all of the ability mechanics. Any help?

Think you were being scape goated tbh. Sounds like a tanking problem as those abilities can be interrupted every time. One tank can stun one and the other throws up the barrier to absorb it on the second. Even if you miss one you just have to heal through it.

I would suggest pw:b on arcane volocity. Everyone should be running in to stack on the boss at that point.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    02/12/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Sadiemay
    but I felt like I was thrown into the lions den due to not knowing all of the ability mechanics. Any help?

Think you were being scape goated tbh. Sounds like a tanking problem as those abilities can be interrupted every time. One tank can stun one and the other throws up the barrier to absorb it on the second. Even if you miss one you just have to heal through it.

Absolutely this. Feng is a tank fight. They each get a special ability at the start of the fight; one gets a spellsteal ability which the tank then uses on Feng when he's casting Lightning Fist. The tank then uses the stolen ability to interrupt Epicenters. It can be tricky timing for a tank to learn, and there will sometimes be Lightning Fists that the tank's spellsteal ability is on cooldown for

meanwhile the other tank gets an ability which puts up the deep blue PW:B-like dome the others have spoken about here. That ability mitigates most of the damage of the Epicenters it's used on (but you have to get under the dome for it to shield you, and it doesn't last the entire duration of Epicenter so some of the damage *has*to be taken), but it also has a cooldown and cannot catch every Epicenter.

Ideally what happens is the tank who spellsteals will interrupt an Epicenter, and then the tank with the blue dome will shield the next Epicenter, and then by the time Feng's doing his 3rd Epicenter the spellstolen interrupt is usually available again (... if the tank's done his job right...).

P2 only the blue dome works. It can catch every other Draw Flame (and negates it). If everyone who gets a Wildfire Spark runs to a predetermined far-away spot to plant it, then the Wildfire only gets drawn "from" one place and when the tank's blue dome isn't available, everyone can avoid the incoming Wildfire fairly easily. If you get caught in the Wildfire, I think it gives Feng a buff for every second you stand in it or something, so it's worse than "just taking damage standing in the bad".

P3 only the dome works. And yes, the tank absolutely should use it (can cover every 2nd time he does his huge P3 AoE damage move). Meanwhile, he will target random ranged players (no matter where they're standing) for Arcane Resonance and as Sadie says, if you get it you must run far enough away so that the pale purple circle (thanks Blizz, yeah, that's easy to see with all the arcane sparkly stuff everywhere...) doesn't touch anyone. It will literally blow up your raid if someone gets it and doesn't move away fast.

You'll get him next time ;D Knowledge is power.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    Anything I have to say: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143

But the tank with null barrier can prevent the draw flame from landing on Feng if he uses it on top of the boss. The null barrier can also prevent all damage from an epicenter and arcane storm if everyone is underneath it. The other tank can use their shroud of reversal on a target that is going to be stunned by lightning fists, and then use the stun to interrupt an epicenter.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Paladin
    Feng does lightning fists/epicenter first. Then he does spark/draw flame. Lastly, he does resonance/velocity.

The first phase it's very important for the tanks to manage the fists/epicenter. If they don't steal the fists there'll be an epicenter in which case melee need to run to center where range should be stacked and if the barrier is up, use it for all (if healing is rough this is the ideal method, if healers feel good, the barrier can go up in melee group). AoE heal through it. In low level gear you can manage one, maybe two mess ups with fists/epicenter, more than that and you'll find yourselves oom by 3rd phase.

During second phase he'll cast wildfire spark and it's best to have whomever gets this run either left or right out of the group. This way when he does draw flame, the flames won't hit the raid and give him the stacks that does the very painful raid damage. We found ourselves using hero for this phase as the flame damage was really giving us issues even with avoiding unnecessary stacks. We really had to minimize the time spent in this phase. If you can swing it, use the barrier on the 1st and 3rd. You don't want to have that 4th draw flame. You do NOT want those flames hitting players as he draws them in as it causes him to gain more stacks which equals a lot more damage.

During third phase it's very important to watch DBM timers. You must be I think 6 yards apart. When he casts velocity everyone should stack except the player with resonance. Pop your AoE heals (your spirit shells) and key here is clipping velocity and getting out right at the tail end because he'll cast a resonance often right as velocity ends and if a player is slow to move, he'll blow up the raid. Resonance hurts. So key here is don't stay too far back as you really must get in to Feng quickly with velocity but you must get out a hair before velocity ends because resonance cast right as it ends can often cause a player to inadvertently blow up the raid.

This fight isn't simply a tank fight. It really requires all members of the raid to be on their toes. But if the tanks do not do their job right, the fight will most likely end in a wipe.

Good luck!
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    Definitely gets easier. On our first Feng kills, we had to rotate through healing cooldowns. We'd 3-heal, and everyone had their turn for a raid-healing CD.

Now someone might use a Tranq, but we're 2-healing, and having a grand old time of it.
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Monk
    To answer one question you asked that no one answered, the draw flame happens after 3 players get wildfire sparks (I think that's the name anyway). If all goes according to plan you will only have to heal through one of them.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    One thing to keep in mind... where are your raiders dropping off the wildfire? Once it's drawn into the boss, it's possible for people to stand between the path of the fire and the boss. They'll take damage as if they were standing in the fire. That makes the healer a lot harder.

Otherwise, as others have indicated, using the Nullification Barrier on Feng will prevent the wildfire stacks. That way you'll have a phase of nothing.

---

For Barrier, how are your people positioned? If you have a range heavy comp stacking in the center, then you can use it early in the fight for an Epicenter. It will be up again when you can use it for an Arcane Explosion that he does, when everyone is supposed to run in. Of course, you want to time it so your tank doesn't also use a Nullification Barrier as well.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    Use your hymn, always works in tight situations
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    I'm having alot of trouble with Feng the Accursed and was the main reason our group wiped a half dozen times with him. Some of it I learned by trial and error, but others I can't figure out.

• I'm not sure which move it is that causes it (Draw flame? Flaming Spear?) but it's when the entire team takes a major DoT that puts everyone at low health and it seems to occur once a minute or so.

• I'm guessing you're talking about Draw Flame. What happens is that he sucks all the fire patches on the floor into him, and he gains 1 stack of buff for each one that reaches him. Then , each melee attack he does thereafter, 1 stack of buff is consumed and does a large amount of raid damage. You can see his stack count by looking in his buffs area.

Every second Draw Flame will able to be Nullified by one of the tanks (assuming he does it correctly), but you'll have to heal through the rest.

I'd advise using Time Warp on this phase so you can make sure you only have to heal one phase (i.e. barrier 1st and 3rd, and TW+healing CDs for second). If your group has high DPS you could keep it to just two Draw Flames which is even better.

It's important you don't go into Phase 3 with the boss still buffed, so if your raid messes up on the last Draw Flame then the leader should call a STOP DPS until the boss's buff has expired.

The raid should be stacked for this phase so that you can use things like PW:B and get the most out of AOE healing.

I felt like I was thrown into the lions den due to not knowing all of the ability mechanics. Any help?

Run the fight on LFR so you get a basic idea what's going on. Then read the Dungeon Journal and a third-party encounter guide to fill in the gaps in your knowledge about all the mechanics.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Mage
    02/15/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Fatherbren
    Use your hymn, always works in tight situations

She's disc.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Priest
    I think everyone has given some great advise, and they are correct that tanks doing their job makes this fight much easier. Usually on P1, I use spirit shell on the epicenter the tank is using the nullify dome on (starting the spirit shell about 10 seconds before epicenter). There's usually just enough damage until the dome goes up that it makes it worthwhile. The one that's interrupted we never see any damage.

On P2 I use spirit shell on the draw flames that the tank is not using the dome on. Keep in mind that after the boss actually draws the flame, it takes a couple seconds for the wildfire to reach the boss, so I try to start spirit shell about 5-7 seconds before draw flame.

On P3, the arcane velocity is the big damage. Like P2, I use spirit shell on whichever velocities the tank is not using the dome. People take less damage if they're close to the boss, so everyone should be gathered, and this also makes a good time to use barrier. One of the hardest things I found about P3 is making sure the raid as a whole is scattering as soon as arcane velocity ends. (Arcane resonance can be cast right after velocity and it does much more damage if people are bunched up.)

Just a general note, usually damage is low enough between the high bursts that it's perfect for atonement, which means archangel is usually up for the high burst damage periods.
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    Disc is incredible on this fight. Really it's all up to the tanks to a; Do their job

and b; Most importantly communicate. A priest needs to know asap whether a mechanic was missed so he can ramp up SS.

O!@#$s can happen, specially with new groups/pug tanks. But they're easily healed through if you have a headup, which you always should have from the tank.
    Edited by Tonydanza on 2/16/2013 10:53 AM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]