Which Tank Class Should I Make?

90 Troll Priest
I am thinking of making a tank alt, but I can't decide which class to go with. I know I don't want to be a death knight, they don't allow you enough leveling time to learn your class and they have an incredibly odd resource system. I don't know much about druid tanks, however they rub me the wrong way for some reason and I don't really like how you can't see their gear when they're in bear form. I really like the mechanics of paladin tanking; their AoE tanking and the fact that they use a shield are both pluses for me. However, there are no Horde races I feel I would want to play as a paladin and that paladin tier gear often doesn't have the best design. Monks seem cool to me; I like how good their AoE tanking is, but I don't like how reliant they are on active mitigation they are. Warriors also seem cool to me; they have awesome tier designs and I always like a plate class, but I worry about their AoE threat.

Basically, my ideal tank class would wear plate armor with a sword and shield, have great AoE tanking abilities, not rely so much on active mitigation as on their naturally high passive mitigation, and last but not least look cool. (I know it sounds vain, but it is a common reason people pick the class that they pick) Which tank class would you recommend I roll, based on this information?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
02/11/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Bronyheals
not rely so much on active mitigation as on their naturally high passive mitigation

I believe the correct response here is: sucks for you. That class doesn't exist in wow.

Also, your opening line, the crack about DKs "don't allow you enough leveling time to learn your class and they have an incredibly odd resource system" makes me wonder if this is a troll post.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Shaman
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I believe the correct response here is: sucks for you. That class doesn't exist in wow.

Also, your opening line, the crack about DKs "don't allow you enough leveling time to learn your class and they have an incredibly odd resource system" makes me wonder if this is a troll post.

First of all, I know there is no tank class that meets all of my requirements. I just want to know which tank class would fit me best. Secondly, why you consider what I said about DK's to be trolling? It is true that as a DK you spend less time leveling, which might be fine for some people, but people such as myself do not learn well under such a high learning curve.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
02/12/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Bronyheals
First of all, I know there is no tank class that meets all of my requirements.

Actually, there is a tank class that meets most of those "requirements," but absolutely none of them that don't "rely so much on active mitigation as on their naturally high passive mitigation." Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero.

Secondly, why you consider what I said about DK's to be trolling? It is true that as a DK you spend less time leveling,

1-55 as a warrior takes about 48 hours if you don't use heirlooms. Probably less if you don't stay logged in while figuring out what to write in your MRP profile >_> When you consider that it takes as long to get from 80 to 90 as from 1 to 80, the whole skipping 1-55 argument loses a lot of weight. Compound that with the fact that tanking on any class before 60 is usually nothing like tanking on that class after 60, and most folks therefore don't level as tanks but instead pick it up later on, and any credibility the argument may have had vanishes entirely.

02/12/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Bronyheals
but people such as myself do not learn well under such a high learning curve.

Also, because of the fact that DKs start off with a fairly decent skillset it makes them far easier to learn, as opposed to many other specs that effectively feel broken until you learn a certain ability at a certain level that finally gives them a feeling of completeness.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I know I don't want to be a death knight

I don't know much about druid tanks, however they rub me the wrong way

there are no Horde races I feel I would want to play as a paladin

Monks seem cool to me ... but I don't like how reliant they are on active mitigation they are.

Warriors also seem cool to me ... but I worry about their AoE threat.

You don't want to be a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/12/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Gruklaar
I know I don't want to be a death knight

I don't know much about druid tanks, however they rub me the wrong way

there are no Horde races I feel I would want to play as a paladin

Monks seem cool to me ... but I don't like how reliant they are on active mitigation they are.

Warriors also seem cool to me ... but I worry about their AoE threat.

LOL........love that response. Classic.

Hell.........I just went from RET to PROT at lvl 85 and I think its sort of fun. I have no idea what Im doing yet but Im only questing. Play for a few hrs and you will get to know your rotations. I dosent take long. Do some reading, ask others for advice........just jump in and try it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I usually am Holy/Prot for specwise. I got annoyed as prot this expac and tried out Ret for the first time ever. Just went back to prot now that I'm 90.

Anyway, from what I see, warriors are a lot of fun from a Tanking perspective. It was their classic "job" back in Vanilla so I think it started off well developed. Tons of mobility, lots of shiney buttons to press (LOL JK).

Just thinking that if I were to pick a NEW tanking class, I'd go with Warrior. And it'd be a female Belf. So I could transmogrify her something sexy I can fap to in between pulls.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Never role Blood Elf Female Tanks..

It sucks to constantly farm Transmog gear because everything looks awesome on you.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
DK's have the best magic damage reduction and good self heals while still dishing out the DPS. They take more damage since they don't use a shield, but they also have a passive ability to give them more health to compensate.

Druids are kind of tough to tank with right now since they don't seem to have as many good defensive cooldowns and take a bit more damage, but their AoE threat is really good and so is their threat generation. (This is speaking from my guild's experience with druid tanks and some of what we've seen/read from different sources). Our guild's druid tank says he has to actively watch for when to use his defensive CDs...at least more so than his other tanks.

Pally tanks are arguably the best right now. High damage, good defensive CDs, good threat generation, and good self heals. They do have some decent AoE threat generation too.

I hardly ever see monk tanks and mine's only level 51, so not much to say about this one. My understanding is that monk's have a higher skill cap though and like you said, require using a lot of active mitigation CDs.

I personally love tanking with my warrior. I have very few issues with AoE tanking. Thunderclap, Shockwave, Cleave and when necessary, Mocking Banner. As far as damage output, we are about average for tanks. We have the best mobility and good damage reduction. Shield Block blocks incoming melee attacks for 6 secs and Shield Barrier absorbs up to a certain amount of damage depending on the amount of rage used. Shield Wall reduces incoming dmg and is great when used with Barrier. Drawback is not a lot of self heals, and if you forget to get into defensive stance, everyone dies.

Sadly, you won't really know which one you like until higher up in level. First time tanking, maybe try pally or warrior.

Depends on your personal play style. I tried to sum up the tank classes best I could for you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Basically, my ideal tank class would wear plate armor with a sword and shield, have great AoE tanking abilities, not rely so much on active mitigation as on their naturally high passive mitigation, and last but not least look cool. (I know it sounds vain, but it is a common reason people pick the class that they pick) Which tank class would you recommend I roll, based on this information?

Warrior, though you will still have to use the active mitigation once stuff gets hard, or you'll get steamrolled.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Go Paladin, can't beat sprouting wings for visual coolness.

But if you want a tank who can literally walk on water and battle rez that idiot healer who got killed standing in bad stuff, Death Knight.

Also my all time favorite: Asphyxiate
Makes you feel like Darth Vader in Star Wars. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Go Paladin, can't beat sprouting wings for visual coolness.

But if you want a tank who can literally walk on water and battle rez that idiot healer who got killed standing in bad stuff, Death Knight.

Also my all time favorite: Asphyxiate
Makes you feel like Darth Vader in Star Wars. :)

Also roll paladin if you want every other class able to pull agro off you with auto attack on the pull
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Death Knight
Ahh the days when I was a female Blood Elf. As a human I can still fap between pulls though, and arguably better.

As for you OP, warrior. Your only concern about them is AoE, and believe me they are fine at that. All tanks use Active Mitigation but warriors do actually have the highest passive mitigation. (25% defensive stance, but at the cost of lower HP)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/12/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Gruklaar
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Warrior aoe is fine, warrior sounds best suited for you. However, 1-55 s nothing in terms of really learning how to tank and their resource system is really easy after a couple days of instances. Try a dk if that is all that is holding you back, otherwise warrior best for you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Sounds like you want a Warrior.

However, I will tell you that NOTHING solos like a Blood DK.

Nothing. Period.

Any tank will tell you that once you turn the key on a DK, even as an alt, you WILL want to solo stuff on it that you can't on any other toon. It's almost addictive. My main is this Brewmaster, but my Blood DK is always waiting.

I've not raided on a Warrior, but I have raided on a DK and I think the learning curve is actually a little easier on the DK, especially once you learn the Death Strike mechanic. The runic power/rune resource system is actually pretty easy once you get a feel for it. Rage may seem easier, but balancing rage with mitigation can be harder.

That said, I dunno if any tank is as mobile as the Warrior and that's huge. The Warrior is a block tank and that helps with AoE mitigation.

There is no perfect tank. There may be a perfect tank for you, but you'll only know once you've played it.

So try one. They've put the essential skills and talents very low so you'll get a feel for the tree early on. By level 35 or so, if you just aren't feeling it, you won't have so much time invested that you can delete the toon and move your BoAs to another and move on.

Sounds like you're looking at a Warrior first, DK second. I'd stay away from Pallies because the AoE threat is an issue with them atm and after dungeons, it's an issue that may not be fully addressed for awhile.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
DKs are easy to tank with. What makes the learning curve easier with DKs is that the best spec to level with is the prot spec. Blood.

Hands down it wins for soloing as a DK. Sure, it's slower to kill mobs. However, you start and end fights at full health and never stop killing. No down time allows for you to learn the rune regeneration mechanics. It does take some time to get a feel for it, but it's all about practice anyways.

You need to practice to excel at any role you play properly as it is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Never role Blood Elf Female Tanks..

It sucks to constantly farm Transmog gear because everything looks awesome on you.

This, it's horrible. I feel so bad for other races.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Omfg this question was just answered perfectly in a post ON THE FRONT PAGE.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7924333197
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]