Idea to fight botting

100 Night Elf Rogue
Could you do it fast enough to get into the bg, though? What if it weren't such a simple question and required more than pattern matching?

Perhaps not by using foreign language a lot are not going to be familiar with.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
ITT: People assuming people on a Chinese WoW client is going to get a question in English.
Edited by Belmorec on 2/12/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Kirama
Perhaps not by using foreign language a lot are not going to be familiar with.

Asking what a dog does is practically a foreign language to some of the people I see in battlegrounds.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
02/12/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Pozy
Asking what a dog does is practically a foreign language to some of the people I see in battlegrounds.

Perhaps they should give questions in l33t speak. That will prevent some confusion.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:29 AMPosted by Kirama
Perhaps they should give questions in l33t speak.

vvц4т д f4йт4$↑î¢ îd34¡

I FEEL DIRTY EVEN TYPING THAT
Edited by Pozy on 2/12/2013 8:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
vvц4т д f4йт4$↑î¢ îd34¡

Wut is dis? I don't even...

/digs hole in ground

/sticks head in
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/12/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Pozy
Perhaps they should give questions in l33t speak.

vvц4т д f4йт4$↑î¢ îd34¡

i felt dirty reading it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
02/12/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Belmorec
ITT: People assuming people on a Chinese WoW client is going to get a question in English.

ITT: people who fail to grasp the point.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Piñata
Alright, what the heck is ITT supposed to mean?

In this thread

And, that, too... ?

"What a fantastic idea!"
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Piñata
What language is that supposed to be?

The ancient language of leet speak or "l337 speak" as Kirama put it.

Off topic:
Tim is extremely relentless with plugging his boxing software. He went to all of my multiboxing videos and commented saying "I know this guy! He's using the best boxing software! Pick it up at my website here:" Even though I'm using completely different software.

God, Tim makes me angry.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Piñata
Blizz should fix their own bot problem, *without* harassing us.

I have an extreme dislike for the customer support forum 'community', along with the general forums. There are a lot of Blizzard defenders there that think everything Blizzard does is correct and objectively the best choice for the game. It's quite annoying when you have a complaint or suggestion that is anything below middle ground on the negativity scale.

The point I'm getting at here is the length of bans that bots receive and the amount of time it takes to ban them. Fortunately I can speak freely here without being swarmed with Blizzard defenders that won't even bother to read my post and just take a few negative phrases out of context.

This expansion so far and what has happened, regarding bots, win traders and their punishments is just embarrassing. Addressing the win traders first; These took far too long to address. I highly doubt a team of experienced coders could not figure out and fix the source of the exploit in a few man hours. It should NOT have took them anywhere near 3 months to resolve the exploit. The day someone showed up on the armory with 3k+ RBG rating with <30 games played was the day they should have started investigating it. The longer those people remained on the armory, the more the problem snowballed.

They did a blanket suspension and rating strip. Back in The Burning Crusade and early Wrath of the Lich King, if you win traded, in the unlikely event you didn't get permanently banned from the game with no remorse or mercy on Blizzard's end, you lost EVERYTHING. Your rating, all your gear you earned that season, all your teams disbanded and a lengthy suspension with a FINAL WARNING. That final warning was your final warning. Win Trading was no joke and they upheld those rules very diligently.

This expansion's blanket suspension was pathetic in comparison to suspensions and bans in TBC and WoTLK and in general. I would be fine with a blanket suspension if it came with a gear strip. Players that legitimately earned the gear and rating would open a ticket and after a short investigation, would get their armour and rating back. Unfortunately, since the exploit remained for so long the MMR got inflated because of it. Teams that legitimately earned 2200/2400 might have been 1900/2100 if they didn't queue into ghost teams by accident or fight inflated teams.

--

The worst part of the blanket suspension is that it didn't even affect everyone:

This is a screenshot of someone I confronted about their win trading. He sent me this screenshot as "proof" he was playing legitimately and earned the rating legitimately.
http://i.imgur.com/vPXXCsb.jpg
He is currently at the top of the battleground leaderboards and has logged in every day since the suspension wave. Completely unscathed, someone who so obviously win traded and likely bought their account/rating based on their UI and them having Gladiator from past seasons.

--

The win traders who did get affected? They lost their rating, so what? They kept all the rewards from it. They still have their achievements and gear. How long were the suspensions? 72 hours? That just tells me "Hey, it's okay to win trade as long as I hurry up and get my gear before I get my 72 hour suspension. Then I'll be set for the rest of the season!"

It's the same concept and reasoning for bots. Blizzard wants to "ban in waves" and the Blizzard defenders on the CS and general forums constantly remind you of that. Unfortunately, the longer they wait to suspend (notice how I said suspend, not ban) these bots, the more the problem snowballs. I see all these ore and herb botters farming every time I go to do dailies and flooding the market with a half thousand stacks of ore/herbs that they sell in minutes.

It makes me think to myself "Why don't I get in on some of that action?" as I'm sure other people think. I actively report every botter I see. It just feels like the combination of them outsourcing their bot reports from tickets to an in-game button that says "Report for Cheating" is just them giving up on trying to stop the bots. Honestly, it feels like that button is just there to make me feel better. At this point I doubt it even does anything!

--

Looking at the popular bot forum, the only permanent bans I see are from people selling gold or accounts. I see people who are botting battlegrounds and herbs/ore getting 72 hour suspensions then going right back to botting. It really feels like Blizzard is leaning more towards what gets them the larger revenue. I doubt any mass of players have unsubscribed because of bots, yet the bots themselves have generated a large amount of cash flow for Blizzard. Why would they be so quick to permanently ban them when they know the players will put up with them?

It feels like the problem was (and still is) so large that they couldn't afford to mass ban and had to mass suspend instead.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Piñata
*If* what you say is accurate, which I have no way of knowing.

Everything I said was accurate except for things that I obviously have no way of knowing. For example, I don't work at Blizzard. They could be cooking up the largest mass ban we've ever seen and I would have no way of knowing.

I assume you're still on a near-permanent hiatus from WoW and just post on the forums now. The bot probably remains extremely bad. There are some battlegrounds at late night where entire teams will be composed of bots. This is extra tragic for someone like me who plays primarily at 2am-7am, prime botting hours.

Next patch, they're intending to remove the incentive to win trade by removing 2200 gear. A step in the right direction! This itself says a lot to me. You could easily deduce that change as them being so overwhelmed with the amount of win traders that they instead chose to remove the incentive to win trade instead of removing the win traders themselves.

Anyways, it was a good change. Gear equilibrium is great for PvP. But then they went COMPLETELY backwards and made the transmoggable classic PvP gear (Rank 7+) obtainable from Rated Battleground rating. This still has me confused. They removed the 2200 gear, but then added 2400 gear?

Of course I could just be reading in to things. The changes could be completely irrelevant to the current situation of exploiters. Regardless, there are still an alarming amount of illegitimate players unaffected by the blanket suspension and a large amount of legitimate players that were affected by it. It was an extremely dangerous and careless oversight.

Going back to what I said here:

02/12/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Pozy
I doubt any mass of players have unsubscribed because of bots

I believe this to be completely accurate. I don't see myself unsubscribing any time soon, regardless of all the complaints I've just typed up. It's bad, but it could be a lot worse. Will they let it get a lot worse is the question.
Edited by Pozy on 2/12/2013 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I bet nobody at Blizzard has heard of or thought of this amazing idea! They could call it something like a "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"!
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Geezushkrist
I bet nobody at Blizzard has heard of or thought of this amazing idea! They could call it something like a "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"!

How many people own a smartphone in this age? I myself don't, but I am the only one of my lengthy list of friends who doesn't. You could easily set up a video feed of the captcha area to your smart phone and have an alarm whenever it appears. At work? Bot running at home? Pull out your phone, enter the captcha, bot plays the battleground and never gets reported afk because people think captcha solved the issue.

That's just one of several workarounds for captcha. Captcha should not be implemented into WoW. As Pinata just said;

02/12/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Piñata
Blizz should fix their own bot problem, *without* harassing us.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]