Disc + Monk, Druid, or Paladin?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry to make this its own topic, but the thread I posted it in blew up. D:

My group is currently two healing as paladin/disc with shaman as offheals. Our progression is not bad for when we started and we usually clear 2-3 new bosses a night with minimal hangup. I'm tempted to say 'bosses are dying, any comp will work on normal' however, I feel like there's a gap with disc/paly and worry about it becoming more of an issue with the upcoming disc changes (namely their AoE). It's most apparent on spread AoE fights where lots of damage is going out (i.e. rain of blades) where a healing CD like Hymn would be nice to use for when spirit shell is down. Sadly, we run ranged heavy and stacking is not an option. In addition, the group runs 2 paladins and 3 priests so set bonuses might be an issue next patch, depending on the RNG gods.

I really love my paladin but, I want to do what is best for the group. Since we already have a shaman and 3 priests, I'm thinking of gearing up druid or leveling a monk. Of the three (monk, druid, or paly), which works best with a disc priest in 5.2? Any beta experiences would be great. Thanks for your time.
Edited by Seraphine on 2/12/2013 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Both monks and druid complement a Disc priest very well, and fortunately neither are on the same token as your priests/paladins. I would recommend leveling a monk for a bit to see if you like the playstyle. Personally, I didn't like it much, but that's just me. You mght love it!
Reply Quote
As a Disc Priest, personally, I have always been rather fond of druids. I feel the shielding to keep people from dying and the hots to heal up under those shields complement each other very well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You want to stay with your paladin imo. If you really think you need more aoe cd's for things like rob then have your shaman spec htt and use it while dps'ing. Paladin/Disc is a strong combo.

Mostly keep your paladin because beacon is OP on any fight which requires more than one tank, which is most fights.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Paladin and Disc is a very good comp, mainly because of absorbs all over the place. The only fight I can think of where this combo isn't too hot is on Blade Lord. Both healers are pretty limited when you're running back and forth. Though, you can solve that too by leaving early I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I'm not saying disc+paly is horrible especially with other setups (again, we're really ranged heavy so spread fights are the norm except for terrace i<3u terrace). Double shields are amazing until something inevitably gets through them and everyone is spread out, taking non-magic AoE. I really rely on the support of the Priest's AoE for times like those and their AoE is mostly tied up in to PoH and Divine Aegis. Which is the target of an upcoming nerf. In addition, paladin is losing a bit of holy power generation with the changes to set bonuses (though it won't affect me, 4pc might skew how you view paladin healing). If it really is just me worrying too much, then that's a good thing! I'm enjoying this class. However, I want to make sure I'm doing what is easier on the group.

Also, thank you for the responses so far. I've barely tried monk, but it seems pretty fun. Not sure how long it will take getting use to about the melee dps to heal model though.
Edited by Seraphine on 2/12/2013 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/12/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Seraphine
If it really is just me worrying too much, then that's a good thing! I'm enjoying this class. However, I want to make sure I'm doing what is easier on the group.

If you are planning on moving to world first type progression you should worry about little things. Otherwise you should play what you enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, I'm really not a huge fan of disc/pally. Numerically, it's solid, but...it just sort of doesn't feel good, especially in a ranged-heavy raid. I actually rerolled a shaman to hopefully go better with our priest.

If shaman isn't an option...I don't know what my next pick would be. Holy, maybe (actually I'd have gone with Holy as my first reroll choice if it didn't mean 3 priests in our raid; this priest and I rolled double priest through all of Cata), but I imagine you don't want that either because of gear, and double priest does get somewhat awkward on fights where PoH has issues. So that just leaves druid or monk...and tbh I can't think of a great reason to pick one over the other.

I think in your position I'd lean slightly toward druid because I find that what I really want most, what I really feel myself missing as a paladin healing with a disc priest, is Divine Hymn or HTT. I'm not sure Revival is quite what the doctor ordered, but Tranq should fit the bill well enough.
Edited by Kaels on 2/12/2013 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We're essentially on the same boat, Kaels. My main is/was priest until joining this group. If we didn't already run with three, I would be holy priest in a heartbeat. :( Shaman is also incredibly fun as both heals and dps. Sadly, I always end up with groups that have shamans covered. Good luck to you.

I'm leaning towards druid over monk as well. Part laziness (already have one), part we don't have any / it's on the token only one person is on, part symbiosis. And to be honest, I just don't know much about monks compared to the other healers yet. I worry about burst with druids though. Can anyone weigh in on that / 5.2 changes?

That said, Sadie has a point. I think we want to try heroics next tier, but we're definitely not that kind of guild. No one is putting pressure on me to change classes. I just, well, Kaels said it better with a lot less words, "Numerically, it's solid, but...it just sort of doesn't feel good, especially in a ranged-heavy raid."
Edited by Seraphine on 2/12/2013 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Any of those works. Druid brings extra self-help CDs through Symbiosis, and strong spread/movement healing. Shaman brings HTT, extra health to compliment bubbles, and Mana Tide. Paladin brings strong single-target healing, bubbles, longevity, and CDs out the wazoo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]