WoW 64-bit error.

85 Worgen Warrior
The 64-bit version is not working for me. Every time I try to launch the game from the launcher, or launch the Wow-64.exe file manually I get the this error:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7628/63799150.png

32-bit works just fine, but as you can see I have quite a lot of RAM & would like to make sure the game has access to all of it, since I use a lot of addons.

DXDiag:

http://www.mediafire.com/?91fdzr75i4v11c7
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

Go into the World of Warcraft folder and delete the wow.exe and the wow-64.exe. Once that is done, go ahead and run the launcher. The launcher should redownload both of those files. When the launcher is at a hundred percent, close it and try launcher the 64 bit client again.

Let me know what happens.
85 Worgen Warrior
First, thanks for the quick reply. :)

Unfortunately the same thing still happens after deleting & letting the launcher redownload the two files, then closing & trying to launch the 64-bit version again. Whether I try to launch it via launcher->play button, or just Wow-64.exe.
Edited by Derilith on 2/12/2013 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Bump.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

Try this:

1. Delete the wow.exe and wow-64.exe again.
2. Delete the battle.net.dll and battle.net-64.dll.
3. Run the launcher so that those files can be redownloaded.
4. Once the launcher says that you are at 100%, click on "Help" at the top of the launcher and select the repair tool.

Let the repair finish and test out the game. If the issue still occurs, I'm afraid that you are going to have to uninstall and reinstall the game.

Here's a support article that will help you do that properly: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/uninstall-reinstall-instructions-for-patching-issues
85 Worgen Warrior
I'm on the repair tool step right now but I thought I'd post since I have new info. A friend of mine came & got my game files from me because it takes forever for him to download on his slow internet. I put the game folder on his external & he took it home & transferred it over. He just informed me that the 64-bit exe is working perfectly fine on his PC.

This leads me to believe that a setting must be messed up on my PC, but all other 64-bit programs work fine. I'm currently at a loss as to what is wrong. If this repair doesn't fix this then I don't know what will, since this is already a fresh install that I did yesterday before posting.

PS: The repair didn't work. :(
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

There may be a problem within the registry. Lets try launching the game from a new admin account to see if that helps.

1. Create a new admin user account

Here's how:

Windows 7 or Vista

To create an administrator account for a Windows 7 or Vista computer that is not a member of a domain:

From the Start menu, select Control Panel.

Double-click User Accounts, and then click Manage User Accounts.

Click Create new account. Enter a name for the account, and then click Next.

Click Computer administrator, and then click Create Account.

Windows XP

To create an administrator account on a Windows XP computer that is not a member of a domain:

From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Control Panel.

Double-click User Accounts.

Click Create new account. Enter a name for the account, and then click Next.

Click Computer administrator, and then click Create Account.

2. Log off of the current Windows user account
3. Log onto the newly created account
4. Launch WoW (If you are on Windows Vista or 7, remember to launch the launcher as admin by right clicking on the WoW account and selecting "Run as admin".
85 Worgen Warrior
Launching WoW from a new account with admin rights didn't help either. Nor did running CCleaner, or a virus/malware scan(figured why not).
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

What operating system is your friend running on?
85 Worgen Warrior
He is using the same OS as me, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

Right click on the WoW-64.exe and select "Troubleshoot compatibility". Follow the steps mentioned there.
85 Worgen Warrior
Sorry for the late reply, had work all day, & then had an event I had to be at.

Still no luck, doesn't work no matter what compatibility mode I set it for or running as admin. =\

Edit: I'll save a copy of my WoW folder to revert back to if it doesn't work(so I don't lose all my addon settings) & try reinstalling again tonight. I'm not very hopeful though, since these exact same files copy/pasted to another PC work fine... :(
Edited by Derilith on 2/14/2013 6:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

I just sent you an email requesting some files. Please reply to the email with the files attached when you get the chance. Also, be sure to post in this thread to let me know when you have replied.
85 Worgen Warrior
Sorry, I did not come back to the thread until now. I sent the reply a yesterday I believe. I'll send another one today to be sure.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
bump
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Priest
Derilith - Dankorii and the other forum GMs won't be on until monday. Watch your post then he will be getting back to you I'm sure.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

Thanks for sending all of the files. I've looked them over, and the only thing that stands out is that there appears to be a lot of issues reported with Windows. It also looks like there was a Windows update attempted on 2/9/13 that failed multiple times. Corrupted Windows updates can cause random issues with Windows. I would try doing a system restore to a day before 2/9/13 since it looks like that's when most of the Windows issues started.

A couple of questions:

1. How long has this issue with the 64 bit client been going on?

2. Have you ever been able to launch the 64 bit client?
85 Worgen Warrior
It's been happening since the day I made this thread, which is when I started playing again. Last time I played before that WoW didn't have a 64-bit version.

I have been having a lot of strange occurrences since installing my new motherboard & processor though, Is there any way I could get a copy of my files with the windows errors bolded or something? That could likely help me fix them as apparently CCleaner isn't doing the trick.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Bump for fix!

Cannot believe I didn't think to try this earlier... Fixed it with a simple sfc /scannow.

Instructions if anyone else has trouble:

Open elevated command prompt by clicking start, then typing "cmd" into search(DO NOT hit enter). Right click on "cmd.exe" or "command prompt"(windows 8) & click "run as administrator".

Type "sfc /scannow" without quotes & let the scan finish, then restart your PC.

Simple & very basic fix for most system file errors, cannot believe I didn't think of this sooner...

Thanks for all your time & help Dankorii, really appreciate you going through all this for me!
Edited by Derilith on 2/18/2013 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derilith

You're welcome, I'm glad to see that the System File Checker fixed your issue. Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions or problems.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]