5.2 Blacksmithing Guide?

90 Pandaren Warrior
With the new changes coming to how Blacksmithing is leveled up from 1-500 only using Ghost Iron Ore, does anyone with access to PTR or know of information relating to exactly how much Ghost Iron Ore we can expect it will take to make the 1-500 level? Trying to farm now for leveling up my Blacksmithing but not sure exactly how much I should be planning on.

Any help or numbers would be much appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
-----------------Recipe----------------------------Materials-------------Skill Info
Training Project: Ghost Iron Pins-----------1x Ghost Iron Bar-----1, 10x
Training Project: Simple Eating Utensils---2x Ghost Iron Bar-----21, 7x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Wok----------15x Ghost Iron Bar----59, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Ladle--------4x Ghost Iron Bar-------71, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Poker--------20x Ghost Iron Bar-----86, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Hook--------9x Ghost Iron Bar-------121, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Spatulas----15x Ghost Iron Bar-----136, 5x
Training Project: Decorative Spoons-----20x Ghost Iron Bar-----151, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Spade------25x Ghost Iron Bar------186, 2x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Needles----1x Ghost Iron Bar-------199, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Barrel------35x Ghost Iron Bar------206, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Saw--------30x Ghost Iron Bar------231, 3x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Wire--------1x Ghost Iron Bar-------248, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Pot---------30x Ghost Iron Bar------256, 2x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Cups-------40x Ghost Iron Bar------289, 2x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Bowls------65x Ghost Iron Bar------299, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Bells--------90x Ghost Iron Bar------326, 4x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Crate-------50x Ghost Iron Bar------347, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Picks--------100x Ghost Iron Bar-----376, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Frames-----75x Ghost Iron Bar------421, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Pans--------25x Ghost Iron Bar------456, 5x
Training Project: Ghost Iron Statue------80x Ghost Iron Bar------486, 5x

Total of 733 Ghost Iron Bar
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
That's a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who had to farm up all the ore and level blacksmithing the old fashioned way.

But maybe it's time for me to farm up some ghost iron for sale on the AH.
Edited by Ashleygrace on 2/14/2013 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I just did the actual math on this, and it is going to take 4530 Ghost Iron bars just to go from 1-500. Does this seem a little excessive to anyone? Copied my Toon over last night that had 1050 Ghost Iron Bars and I only made it to level 270.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
02/25/2013 05:47 AMPosted by Panduther
I just did the actual math on this, and it is going to take 4530 Ghost Iron bars just to go from 1-500. Does this seem a little excessive to anyone? Copied my Toon over last night that had 1050 Ghost Iron Bars and I only made it to level 270.

It seems like a lot, but think of the grinding you would have to do to level it up the old way. Pretty sure it'd be more than 4530 total of all the different bars you have to gather along the way.

Plus, you get to stay in Pandaria the entire time you're farming up the parts instead of fighting for node spawns with everyone out in the CRZ.
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Monk
I think the idea with the new plans is more to fill in 'gaps' than level entirely with them. Chances are you can find the low level bars for less than the ghost iron you'd need. But if you can't, you aren't stuck.

When my warrior was leveling BS, I couldn't find any heavy stone so I had to make a bunch of weapons that didn't require grinding stones which was a real pain. With the change I could just switch to ghost iron for those levels and save some cash.
Reply Quote

I did leatherworking the "old fashioned way" a couple weeks back from 1-600 and it took around 3200 pieces of a wide array of leathers (most of which were not on the AH on my realm). Had I known they were going to do this I would have held off and just stockpiled 4500 exotic leather and not lost leveling time on my druid...

I guess what I'm saying is... no I do not think it is excessive. I think it is a fair "cost" for the convenience. If you think it is excessive you can always level your craft the original way.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This is for BS only, no other professions have changed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]