WoW ever going to let a healer Dual Wield?

Monks would be a great class to start with.
Reply Quote
Probably not, having two spellpower weapons would be grossly OP. Plus, it would cause loot drama when the Monk wins his second sp mace while the other healers haven't won it yet.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/12/2013 07:26 AMPosted by Flintte
having two spellpower weapons would be grossly OP.

Of course, they could reevaluate the way they split up stats between weapons and offhands. Just give 1H weapons, OHs, and shields all half the itemization budget of a spellpower staff. That way 1H + OH, 1H + shield, 1H + 1H, and 2H all have the same stat allocation.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/12/2013 07:45 AMPosted by Kaels
having two spellpower weapons would be grossly OP.

Of course, they could reevaluate the way they split up stats between weapons and offhands. Just give 1H weapons, OHs, and shields all half the itemization budget of a spellpower staff. That way 1H + OH, 1H + shield, 1H + 1H, and 2H all have the same stat allocation.

Or they could just leave it as is since dual-wielding is about doing damage, not healing...

Yes, monks have the whole "damage to heal" thing going on but it doesn't alter the fact that the spec is about healing not damage.
Reply Quote
dual wield 2h staves GoGoGo!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/12/2013 08:17 AMPosted by Linnelle
Or they could just leave it as is since dual-wielding is about doing damage, not healing...

All weapons/weapon types are about doing damage, not healing.

Different weapons/weapon types/wielding styles are purely cosmetic/RP distinctions; if it makes sense from an RP/cosmetic perspective for a healer or caster to dual-wield (and it certainly does for monks...and I could see mages dual-wielding swords) then there shouldn't be an insurmountable mechanical barrier preventing the devs from allowing it. Especially not when it's something that would be easy to fix going forward.

(I'm not saying re-itemize every caster weapon in the game, just start with the level 90 stuff and grant DW at 90 for appropriate classes.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would rather them balance MH/OH versus 2H before something like this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Off hand spellcaster swords would be fun and there are a couple of classes that could utilize them. Some low level offhands that look like staves are already in game (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/15971). They would just need the dual-wield animation.

That said, I agree with Radial. Staaaavess :<
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Balancing 2H caster weapons with 1H+OH is easy; add new 2H only enchants that combine the effects of the 1H and OH enchants. They would have exactly the same stats (Windsong/Jade Spirit + 165 INT), and have exactly the same material costs. That has to be the easiest fix, and much less complicated than putting 2 enchant slots on 2H weapons or something.

As for actually dual wielding 2 caster weapons though balancing the stats of the items themselves is easy. It would get tricky with weapon enchant procs and balancing the power of 2 1H enchants vs a 1H enchant +INT. The offhand weapon enchant would have to have a significantly lower chance to proc or something. For that reason it would probably be easier to simply add some transmog offhand items that look like daggers/swords/etc.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Even simpler would be to just put an extra 165 INT on every staff, compared to a 1H+OH of the same ilvl. Staves would have the same total stats, but spend slightly less on enchants. I don't think that would be a disaster (although some enchanters might disagree).

Of course, that doesn't solve the DW issue, which has to deal with two weapon enchants in addition to rebalancing the spellpower and other stats between the 1H and OH item/int shield. That does seem like a lot of trouble for what you get out of it.

P.S. Are mistweavers penalized for the 1H+OH combo because of their reliance on melee as a source of damage/healing? Or is that somehow fixed by their fighting style passive, as long as the caster stats themselves are equal?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/12/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Calonderiel
Even simpler would be to just put an extra 165 INT on every staff, compared to a 1H+OH of the same ilvl.

The problem there is it makes 2h caster weapons inherently slightly better stat-wise. And as you only have to get the one item drop as opposed to two with a 1H/OH, easier to farm up and also one less item to enchant. Just as 1H/OH is only slightly better than a 2H now, this would shift the balance in the other direction.
Opting for a set of new 2H enchants as I outlined above would completely balance the 1H/OH vs. 2H argument. All that would really be left would be personal preference, which is the way it should be.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
You'd still have the "need twice as many drops" vs. "get twice as frustrated when your 1 item doesn't drop" issue, though. Seems to me that outweighs the enchant anyway, and baking the OH enchant into the 2H weapons would avoid the need to create new enchants (which they're probably going to be unwilling to do before 6.0).
Reply Quote
I only PvP these days, quit raiding a few years ago.

From a PvP standpoint, I think it will help MW stand toe to toe with HPal and RSham. MW is such a stat dependant class in arenas, RBGs are fine, but you have so much additional support...

besides... DW Mistweaver just sounds awesome.

Even if its a Titans Grip Mechanic Dual Wield - only 2 handers so you can save all the MH/OH for all the other healers.

I saw that there is a 2 handed mace coming next patch for casters. options like these... I like. to bad monk can't use 2h mace.

or maybe I'm just bored with the game *shrugs*
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/12/2013 08:56 AMPosted by Tenthplanet
dual wield 2h staves GoGoGo!

Heh, when I played Lineage 2 we joked about this a lot. In that game you had a weapon spot and a 'shield' spot. To dual wield you didn't put 2 weapons in both slots, you had to take it to a npc that would "combine" them to take up one weapon slot and then you had weapons in both hands. But that was only for melee; you could't do that with caster weapons.

Something similar might work for say, healers, the combining of 2 weapons could turn it into something with half/half stats so it's not OP. Or take one weapon and split it, so you aren't actually hogging up two weapons.

Actually I could do that right now, I won an elite dagger off protectors last week, then this week used a token and... won the same weapon. Siiigh.
Reply Quote
could also just be added as a passive

mistweaver can dual wield, but only receive X% of each stat from offhand weapon, or make offhand only caster weapons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Seems like a lot of annoying changes for no real reason.
Reply Quote
yeah... cuz blizz only does things for real reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/13/2013 07:02 AMPosted by Tenthplanet
yeah... cuz blizz only does things for real reasons.

It's not about Blizzard; it's about you. All you've done is suggest something without suggesting why it's a good idea (especially for PvE). Convince me.
Edited by Tarski on 2/13/2013 7:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If you can't even justify your own ideas why should anybody listen?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]