5.2 Update: You Can Keep Your Valor!

(Locked)

I'm not so sure it is about logic. My understanding, and this is just from what I've read about it, is that it wasn't working out exactly as they wanted it to but the changes they want to make will require more time than is needed to get the rest of 5.2 up. So, instead of making us wait longer for 5.2, they are pushing item upgrades back to see if they can get them where they'd like them to be.

I was under the impression item upgrades were gone until 5.3 at the earliest. Unless you have information that proves me wrong, I'm standing by my original statement of "this is a lazy solution so developers don't have to solve this problem."

I have an extremely hard time believing that filtering out items above a specific item level is a difficult thing to manage. They seem to do just fine filtering out items below a certain item level.

Also, RE: The idea that disabling item upgrades across the board makes decisions easier for people. It doesn't, anyone at Blizzard that believes it does is deluding themselves.

I'm not entirely sure where I lost ya.

I know they are hoping to get them back in 5.3. What I was saying is that they are having problems getting them to work how they want them to. Rather than delaying 5.2 to tweak it further, they are pulling it out and going ahead with 5.2 without it. This gives them time to keep working on it without making us wait for content that is ready to go.
90 Night Elf Druid
Heh, this does little to counter the fact that no guilds on my server have even cleared Terrace reg yet. I'd xfer if my RL friends weren't here.

Where have you been? Blizzard implemented cross-realm zoning. There's RealID. Go ahead - transfer and keep playing with your friends.
100 Goblin Priest
I was reading an article for one of my classes before checking the forums today. It was about the accomplishments of the human race. The wars we've fought for a persons right to live, the discoveries we've made that have doubled a persons life expectancy.

Then I came here.

The culmination of millions of years of evolution is whining about spending pretend points because they thought a release date for the next chapter of a story was set in stone.

Oh, look, a college student who thinks he's above it. (yet still managed to contribute his little bit of nothingness to this big ball of nothingness).
Edited by Feelings on 2/13/2013 5:59 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been hurling myself at LFR Terrace for what seems like forever and only just last night finally scored a Kil'Rak, so it's welcome news that there'll still be a reason to cap out and upgrade some stuff, while still holding onto some VP for probably the 2nd week of 5.2.

Also given that smaller guilds have probably not progressed into normal terrace due to not clearing HoF (but will have access to ToT from the get-go), it'll be nice to have whatever leftover VP is there for a small extra boost from the discounted 5.0/5.1 gear.

It's not a HUGE gift, rather more of a small bone being tossed PvE's way, but it'll help gear progression, even if only a handful of ilvls.
100 Troll Druid
A W E S O M E B L I Z Z A R D!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i wish that when it comes to dailies in pandaria that you should be able to choose wether you get valor or honor as the reward someofus do not use valor
100 Human Mage
Thank You. So you do listen to feedback!!!!
90 Night Elf Druid
02/12/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Whitemare
WELP, as being part of a a server that has no raiding guilds but one, I guess I'll never break a 485ish ilvl.

3 words: Cross-Realm servers - go raid!
100 Pandaren Monk
Thank you Blizzard, I had given up on my monk an d was rerolling because I came to the conclusion that with my schedule, by the time I had the rep to buy anything I wouldn't have any valor to buy it with.

You just made me a happy panda!
First, let me say thank you! Now let me complain briefly as in anticipation I've been dumping my valor points. The items I purchase are no big deal as I should be able to refund them. However, I also did a few item upgrades. Those points are lost (which mildly sucks). It would be handy if you could downgrade weapon/armor for a refund just like you can return items you get. Seems like an easy fix to make.
Yay! Thanks Blizz!
Yeah, except what about the people who actually took you at your word when you literally TOLD US we needed to go out and upgrade our stuff with any remaining valor we had. I just dropped 1500 valor on upgrades in the last day, and I have to say, this is a major slap in the face.

Doesn't it seem strange that I would be in a better position had I NOT read your "preparing for 5.2" blog post?

This is from YOUR post: "That means you’re not going to benefit by waiting for the down-conversion to pick up any current Valor items. You’re going to want to strategize spending Valor beforehand..."

And no, I can't go cap again, unless your patch date isn't really the end of February. Sorry, but the math doesn't work.

I'm usually with you guys in your thinking, and I actually think this was the better way to go in regards to valor. I'm just kind of bummed that you guys flip-flopped in two days, and I (and others) got caught in the middle.

In their defense, they didn't tell you to run out and do it right now. Even in that blog he said they were shooting for the end of February and told you to spend it strategically.

Strategically, you wait as long as possible to burn valor with an upcoming conversion just in case you get a drop before the patch.

Just sayin.

5.2 LFR ilevel is higher than 485.

Average 496 I believe. Even so, Shieldwall & one of the new factions have quartermasters with 496 gear available for VP. PLUS now we'll have 4 world bosses who all have a few 496 pieces (I know Sha & Galleon have 2 T14 Normal gear).

This is good for my circumstance as my Guild can't field a 10 man normal team due to some family circumstances of at least 2 our our raiders... the rest of us are patiently awaiting that situation to change (rather than bolt and really put a stain on the rest). In the meantime, with VP and world bosses, some of us can get geared up to take on 5.2 LFR.
100 Goblin Priest
Yeah, except what about the people who actually took you at your word when you literally TOLD US we needed to go out and upgrade our stuff with any remaining valor we had. I just dropped 1500 valor on upgrades in the last day, and I have to say, this is a major slap in the face.

Doesn't it seem strange that I would be in a better position had I NOT read your "preparing for 5.2" blog post?

This is from YOUR post: "That means you’re not going to benefit by waiting for the down-conversion to pick up any current Valor items. You’re going to want to strategize spending Valor beforehand..."

And no, I can't go cap again, unless your patch date isn't really the end of February. Sorry, but the math doesn't work.

I'm usually with you guys in your thinking, and I actually think this was the better way to go in regards to valor. I'm just kind of bummed that you guys flip-flopped in two days, and I (and others) got caught in the middle.

In their defense, they didn't tell you to run out and do it right now. Even in that blog he said they were shooting for the end of February and told you to spend it strategically.

Strategically, you wait as long as possible to burn valor with an upcoming conversion just in case you get a drop before the patch.

Just sayin.

Yeah, it's true, but bear in mind that everyone's strategy is different, and I sort of planned mine based on that blog post urging us to spend our current valor.

For me, my guild and I are running into enrage on a H boss at like literally 0-3%, so I thought I'd spend my upgrades before raids this week and squeak out what little extra dps I could since I thought they were going poof anyway.

Had I known they weren't, I wouldn't have. I'd have made sure I was fully capped going into 5.2 so I could bang out some quick upgrades with the new rep.

I'll likely still be able to do both, so it's not the end of the world, though if the patch does drop at their target date, I'll be "behind" on valor. Again, not the end of the world, but a little annoying.
Edited by Feelings on 2/13/2013 6:17 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
02/12/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Nairr
My question is what the heck do I do with all the justice points I have? I don't need anymore heirloom stuff and nothing is worth purchasing for my main. Could you guys give us something decent to buy with them?

You're the perfect candidate with your leatherworking + Ashen Verdict rep: flip primordial saronite and also craft WotLK gear with it to sell it all on the ah.
OMG BILZZARD DID SOME THING SMART!!!
100 Human Warlock
Had I known they weren't, I wouldn't have. I'd have made sure I was fully capped going into 5.2 so I could bang out some quick upgrades with the new rep.

You forget about currency conversion?
84 Human Paladin
Just kind of funny that only one day before this announcement, Bashiok's "Preparing to Kill a King" post said the following:

Personally I’m not really looking to pick up any Justice items, so my plan is to spend all of my Valor before the down-conversion, and the next section describes what I’m likely to spend the majority of it on.

Seems like many people also thought this was a good idea. Now the "Preparing to Kill a King" post has crossed all of this out.

In addition, why hasn't the "Preparing to Kill a King" post been further updated to amend this statement: "Of course we don’t tend to give out patch release dates ahead of time, because things can slip, but right now we’re targeting the last week of February."

If you feel the need to revert statements you made earlier (and that were true at the time they were made), why not go all the way and update this as well? Seems like it should read: "Of course we don’t tend to give out patch release dates ahead of time, because things can slip, but right now we’re targeting the first week in March."
Edited by Johanos on 2/13/2013 6:30 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
We’d love to hear your feedback about this change, and how you’re planning to earn, save, and spend Valor before the patch releases.

You can't go right out and buy anything new on day one if it requires reputation first.

You can buy 522 valor gear (amulets) with neutral reputation. Gear per slot is unlocked as your rep increases. See http://ptr.wowhead.com/news=210532/5-2-ptr-new-reputations-and-rewards-preview
Edited by Raphaelli on 2/13/2013 6:31 AM PST
94 Draenei Death Knight
ty blizz :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]