5.2 Update: You Can Keep Your Valor!

100 Blood Elf Hunter
I spent what Valor points I had last night on a waist item ( was aiming for legs) but as there was so much speculation on when 5.2 was coming out I went for the safe option.. I wasn't going to bother obtaining more VP's as well so I was just going to lvl alts. Glad that we can do stuff now and not feel like its not worth it as far as Vp's go .. :)
100 Tauren Druid
There was no announced patch date. Bashiok simply said yesterday morning that "[url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8608452/Preparing_to_Kill_a_King_-_Updated-2_11_2013"]we’re targeting the last week of February.[/url]"

Check out [url="https://twitter.com/Bashiok/status/301521729644273664"]his tweet[/url] from today on the subject. :)

Edit: so... patch is not in late feb like was announced? The hell is going on?

I think most rational people are well aware that the date was never set in stone. However, the part about having time to get to 3,000 valor certainly implied at least three weeks. The question, then, is simply this: Is that a tacit admission that you won't be making that target?

Don't get me wrong, here. It's perfectly fine if that's the case. One more week (or even two or three) isn't going to kill anyone. It's still less of a content gap than we've had in the past. I just think that if you know you're unable to make a target, you should say so. It seems a bit disingenuous to keep saying "Well, the end of February is the target, but nothing's set in stone" if you know there's virtually no chance of seeing it before March.

Regardless, even with this change, I would really like to know before February 26th whether or not the patch will be released that day.

Here's the situation I want to avoid: Let's say I reach 3,000 Valor next week (the week leading up to the "target" date). I'm at, say, 700/1,000 for my weekly cap. If the patch is on the 26th, I'm probably better off simply keeping myself there at cap, since there will be one or two things I can get right in that first week. If, instead, I spent the least amount of Valor I could (750), then capped for the week, I'd be at 2550 going into the patch, meaning I would have "wasted" 450 Valor on gear that's about to become obsolete.

On the other hand, if the patch is going to be another week, it'd be better to spend Valor and go on to cap for the week, because I'd essentially be "wasting" 300 Valor otherwise. I realize it's a small difference, but every advantage helps. No one likes to feel like they're "gambling" on a patch date.
100 Night Elf Warrior

I'm not sure what you're owed. You knew what you were spending points on and got what you paid for.

This is why we so often repeat with every patch that things are subject to change during development and testing.

That's unfair, Blizzard has always stated in the past they're going to reset valor on raid patches and they've always followed through. Blizzard definitively stated their intent to convert valor as always, at which point I decided to spend all of mine, and then did a complete 180 in the decision. This includes toons I don't play often who's valor was built up over months of sporadic play. I have 4 toons I'll need to cap valor on for 2-3 solid weeks if I want to earn it all back. This wasn't a case of tentative decision making that players have to gamble their valor on, it was an official announcement that was completely reversed.

I hope you guys use better discretion on decisions like this in the future.

Overall I like this decision, but I would like it a lot more if my wallets weren't empty.
Edited by Rayquaza on 2/12/2013 10:00 PM PST
100 Tauren Warrior
Man no wonder they get so little right. These guys can't even use a calculator. 2 wks = 2k vp...how we got time to get 3k cap.

02/12/2013 07:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
(It’s math!)
100 Draenei Monk
In addition, we’re making a change to ensure that there are some gear rewards available via the Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught, the two new factions with which players can earn reputation in 5.2 without raiding. The patch was shaping up to be a real challenge for players who don’t like raiding (including LFR), as our original design meant that no new Valor rewards would be available to them without needing to run Throne of Thunder.

Thanks a lot!

It's funny, my husband and I were just talking about that last night. "Wait a minute, I thought this expansion was all about character progression no matter how we want to play?" This really goes against that -- there's no way to get any gear upgrades without going into the raid. You'd think there would be some way we could help these NPCs outside the dungeon and get rewarded for it.

Don't get me wrong, the both of us are exclusively LFR raiders, and we love having character progression that doesn't require loads of guilttripping and obligation (What's that? You just had a long day at work and just don't feel like raiding tonight? BUT THE GUILD NEEDS YOU ;_;), we just felt really bad for people who don't like raids. The new patch felt really... unfair. Good to see that it's being addressed ^_^
Edited by Tanasha on 2/12/2013 9:53 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
Good change.

Ironic that the biggest hurdle for a fresh 90 is going to be getting the iLevel to get into LFR (I had a heck of a time one this guy cause I couldn't get a trinket, bracer, or belt to drop in a ton of dungeon runs and the justice point gear is sad).

Frankly, the only thing worthwhile doing with justice, imo, is converting them to honor for honor gear, and that's only if you like pvp (although, they aren't bad for doing dailies in either, if you're a new 90). On this guy, I was converting them into pre-Mists cloth for a buddy to make me bags since I decided not to pvp on this toon.

But yeah, they really dropped the ball on making jp's useful in this expansion. Hence the outcry when we heard vp's were being converted into them.

I've been really sad what they did with dungeons in this expansion (jp's near worthless, no rep gains until 5.2, no charm drop). GC tweeted that you get money, valor, jps, and loot from heroics, including epics so adding rep/charms was felt to be too rewarding. Well, the loot is only useful to get iLevel to enter LFR, I've seen one epic drop ever (in a lot of dungeon runs), the vp's are useless unless you have rep, and 3 extra rolls on 3 raid bosses of your choice is extremely powerful. It boggles my mind that it took them so long to realize they went to too much of an extreme. Two of my RL friends quit due, in part, to this sort of thing, and another has stopped playing and I expect will quit. They were all altoholics and liked random BG's a lot. Unfortunately, things didn't change fast enough for them :(
100 Human Death Knight
02/12/2013 07:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
If you’ve already made plans and sank your Valor, don’t fret! As of this announcement, and even if you have 0 Valor currently, you still have enough time to cap out at 3000 Valor before patch 5.2 goes live. (It’s math!)

This would suggest that released date will be first week of march. Bugger, I got all keen for last week of Feb, now I gotta wait an extra week? Boooooo! :)
Edited by Hemalador on 2/12/2013 10:03 PM PST
Transfer servers? That will easily solve your problem.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
fak, i´d rather have this patch earlyer then get some extra honor
100 Dwarf Hunter
Did not expect this from Blizzard. Many thanks.
Blizzards knows what's best for their game and for the players. They can't make everyone happy but they can and will continue to make the game great, as it is! I say, as always, well done! Ty.

No one ever said is was all going to be on one character.

Then you're not capping it. Don't be obtuse.

Originally, I was going to reply to this with a short barb regarding bulbs, but let's just say that... you missed the joke.

You might also notice in at least two Blizzard replies that they've alluded to the likely possibility that you now have longer than 2 weeks to collect your valor. You did notice that? Right?
02/12/2013 10:14 PMPosted by Corbiin
Blizzards knows what's best for their game and for the players. They can't make everyone happy but they can and will continue to make the game great, as it is! I say, as always, well done! Ty.

Absolutely. This is awesome news, in my opinion.

(If only I could get the Cogent/AT&T Route of Death taken care of now where I could make better use of it.) :(
100 Night Elf Warrior

If it's empty then fill it up again.

Gosh people, im all for ganging up on the incompetent decisions blizzard usually does (like nerfing already awful dps specs, thanks for the out of nowhere destro nerf guys!). But this one harms nobody. You got 3-4 weeks to recap valor. I really doubt everyone is perfectly at 0 valor right at the moment so you already got a head start.

It's better that you bought something now instead of just sat at the cap for 2-3 weeks wasting potential valor gains. Even if you arent at the cap by the time the patch rolls out its not like your going to miss anything. You cant raid in LFR till a week passes, so you're not going to get the new VP items unlocked. And the old items become discounted.

3-4 weeks to recap ~8k valor that I spent on items getting their price halved and near useless item upgrades? No thanks. The only reason I've even ran dungeons in the past month or two was for A Test of Valor. Now all the valor I've been saving over the past months is wasted, and the only way to get it back is a long and nasty grind.
100 Tauren Druid
Welcome news. Thanks for changing your minds, Blizzard. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)