Optimal paladin threat rotation on taunt

90 Pandaren Monk
Hi all,

Due to some roster shakeups in recent weeks, our shadow priest has opted to become co-tank on his paladin. He's a bit rusty on tanking, but a good player and catching up quite nicely. The one area we have issues with still is me over-threating him after taunts. Normally I don't mind backing off for a few til my vengeance drops off, but we've had some dps issues occasionally, and I'd like to wring out every bit possible.

We have two things working against us off the bat:

1. 9 ilevel difference, can only be fixed with time.

2. I'm a monk, with all that entails; not caring about non-dps boosting stats.

I also just realized he's not using Focused Shield glyph, so will suggest he works that in.

So primary question:

What is the optimal rotation after taunt assuming threat is the primary concern? I haven't kept up on paladins much of late, but I'm guessing something akin to:

Assure 5 hopo before taunt.
ShotR
AS
CS
ShotR
CS
HW
Grand Crusader procs used as they come
Proceed with standard priorities.

That sound close to correct?

Also, a question on Hand of Salvation. I know the threat drop is temporary, but what about threat from abilities used during the 10 seconds, does that come back along with the original value, or is it completely negated? Forgive my ignorance, haven't run with a paladin for ages.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Also, a question on Hand of Salvation. I know the threat drop is temporary, but what about threat from abilities used during the 10 seconds, does that come back along with the original value, or is it completely negated? Forgive my ignorance, haven't run with a paladin for ages.

You keep generating threat while HoSalv is up. You're just considered to be at the bottom of the threat list until the buff ends.

If you're familiar with the priest ability Fade, it works the same way.
Edited by Nerfheals on 2/13/2013 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You keep generating threat while HoSalv is up. You're just considered to be at the bottom of the threat list until the buff ends.

Bummer. Kind of what I suspected, but was hopeful it was otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What is the optimal rotation after taunt assuming threat is the primary concern? I haven't kept up on paladins much of late, but I'm guessing something akin to:

Assure 5 hopo before taunt.
ShotR
AS
CS
ShotR
CS
HW
Grand Crusader procs used as they come
Proceed with standard priorities.

SS + AW + HA > Avenger Shield > HoTR > J > SoTR > CS > SoTR > J > SoTR is the standard opener.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You're a monk. By definition you have insane burst threat. You're just going to need to learn to back off the Keg Smash until he's got some vengeance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

SS + AW + HA > Avenger Shield > HoTR > J > SoTR > CS > SoTR > J > SoTR is the standard opener.

Well judgment hits harder than CS, and right after a taunt you can pretty safely assume that weakened blows is already applied, if not use hotr BEFORE the taunt since CS hits a fair bit harder on one target than hotr does.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]