Hey whens fire getting a buff

90 Gnome Mage
Just wondering.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
The whole point of the fire nerf (other then combust being waaaaay overbuffed with the ignite change) was that we were scaling too well, even in the first tier of gear. So currently while we still do fine on cleave fights, our single target lags behind scorch weaving arcane by a huge amount.

As new gear starts coming out, crit will continue to rise, CM will become more and more powerful and then bam, things should hopefully start clicking again.

In the meantime, there's little more to do than respec, or just roll with the punches until fire gets the opportunity to gear up back to the top again.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
I just wish they found a way to not make fire the bottom of the totem pole at the beginning. Fire has always been very gear orientated. More crit = more deeps.

The problem is, until the gear comes out, fire is pretty much useless.

*Shakes fist* That won't stop me from playing it though!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
What's with this Living Bomb not being spread nonsense?!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
The whole point of the fire nerf (other then combust being waaaaay overbuffed with the ignite change) was that we were scaling too well, even in the first tier of gear. So currently while we still do fine on cleave fights, our single target lags behind scorch weaving arcane by a huge amount.

As new gear starts coming out, crit will continue to rise, CM will become more and more powerful and then bam, things should hopefully start clicking again.

In the meantime, there's little more to do than respec, or just roll with the punches until fire gets the opportunity to gear up back to the top again.

Did you even read his question? He didn't ask WHY fire was nerfed, he asked WHEN fire is going to be buffed..

Stupid question but, like what are we? Future tellers?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/13/2013 07:04 PMPosted by Fredykrueger
Did you even read his question

He actually answered the question in his post.

02/12/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Shabayev

This is essentially when Fire will get better again. It has (to my knowledge) the best scaling passives in the game. Just takes time/gear.
Reply Quote
Fire is in an interesting spot currently. For the spec to be more or less competitive it needs 30% crit, and by the time you acquire the gear for these 30% most likely you are stepping into heroic raids. In heroics you will be better off with top spec, which is arcane... This whole concept of "we'll !@#$ your spec today for a better tomorrow" is insane.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/13/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Beaumagnus
What's with this Living Bomb not being spread nonsense?!

The glyph is changing from Fire Blast to Inferno Blast - it will still spread LB, Ignite and Pyro, but we get an additional target. However, since Inferno Blast is a Fire Mage ability only - no more Arc/Frost abuse of our talent. They will have to manually DoT targets.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I could swear I had read one of the patch notes saying "to one target." But did it go from 2 to 3 in 5.1? So I went looking and came across ONE of the patch notes (wish they keep a single document that has ALL the changes in one place) that said "one additional target." So I assume we are now talking 4 targets within 10 yards, correct?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/14/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Brightbrown
I could swear I had read one of the patch notes saying "to one target." But did it go from 2 to 3 in 5.1? So I went looking and came across ONE of the patch notes (wish they keep a single document that has ALL the changes in one place) that said "one additional target." So I assume we are now talking 4 targets within 10 yards, correct?

Inferno blast has always as far as this expansion is concerned (especially since it was just created this expansion not counting fire blast) spread to 2 targets. It will now spread to 3 additional targets, making a total of 4 things with dots running around screaming.

To stay on the original topic, fire is still competitive and does not need a buff. However it is receiving this slight one next patch and something else iirc.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Fire is absolutely fine how it is.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
02/15/2013 04:02 AMPosted by Netherflame

Says the guy with the 510 ilvl. What's your raid buffed crit, around 35%? That's where you start getting crit rates that make fire feel like pre-nerf fire, but most of us aren't there. I tried to say screw it and go fire for a week, fully gemmed, forged and chanted for crit I could swing just more than 30% raidbuffed. Compared to my Arcane set-up it cost me about 15k DPS on average, and the variance in DPS between fights was huge.

Is CM still at a 1.3x modifier? Any other changes to Fire expected aside from the LB spread nerf?
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Wexler

Says the guy with the 510 ilvl. What's your raid buffed crit, around 35%? That's where you start getting crit rates that make fire feel like pre-nerf fire, but most of us aren't there. I tried to say screw it and go fire for a week, fully gemmed, forged and chanted for crit I could swing just more than 30% raidbuffed. Compared to my Arcane set-up it cost me about 15k DPS on average, and the variance in DPS between fights was huge.

Is CM still at a 1.3x modifier? Any other changes to Fire expected aside from the LB spread nerf?

That's the point though. We'll all be 510 in a month or two.

Fire's buff is coming in 5.2 in the form of higher crit on gear. Think of it as a soft buff that'll stack until blizz nerfs fire again in 5.3.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
02/15/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Wexler

Far as I know, yes, same 1.3. If IB spread is 2 now (I was under the impression I read it had already gone to 3) and is going to 3 come 5.2, not a nerf.

Gory details aside, somehow I ended up on noxxic, where I saw Fire seriously behind both Arcane AND Frost.

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/mage/fire

I wish they'd run those simulations at something a lot more reasonable where folks really are at... like maybe iLvl 485. And here I got all excited yesterday when I saw my Recount show me a 230k dps for me (think it was on Deathstalker, obviously with some humongous damage buffs!). Even stranger was that the fight ended 2 seconds after I blew all my CDs.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
02/14/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Brightbrown

Correct. We went from 2 to 3 in a hotfix somewhere. The glyph change will increase this to 4, although we are losing the Living Bomb spread.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I TRY and keep up by reading every interim patch note, but somehow I missed that LB spread will be totally nerfed. THAT would be major and rather severely restricts our AoE abilities.

And how was Combustion "overbuffed" if they hotfix nerfed Pyro & LB DoTs being used? Combust was supposed to be combining ALL DoTs... now it's just Ignite DoTs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/15/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Mageski

Correct. We went from 2 to 3 in a hotfix somewhere. The glyph change will increase this to 4, although we are losing the Living Bomb spread.

Incorrect. Fire Mages will still be able to spread via Glyph of Inferno Blast, only non-fire mages will not be able to spread.
Reply Quote
Can we get some looks at Fire AoE damage as well?
Reply Quote
Fire is getting an indirect buff in 5.2 with scorch being baseline. You will always be able to run PoM which should make combustion damage more reliable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]