Blizzard killing Disc Priest

90 Human Priest
My honest Opinion they should Leave the Disc Priest alone. Blizzard should STOP Screwing around maybe they should buff other Healing Class's to keep up with us instead for screwing over everyone that like's to heal as a Disc Priest but they wont Because BLIZZARD DOESN'T CARE about what people want they only care about getting there MONEY from everyone that play's WOW
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
If every other healer was buffed to disc level then they would have to tune the encounters much much higher where more abilities will simply 1 shot you. Is that what you're asking for?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Let's learn a few things today:

1. Buffing other healers wouldn't do much. Disc looks so powerful because damage is being suppressed, leaving very little for other healers to work with. The exception here is Holy Paladins, who would probably jump to second slot consistently and leave even less damage for the rest to heal.

2. I'm sure you'll say "well, Blizzard can just increase raid damage then!". Wrong. That would be a massive penalty to any raid running without a Discipline Priest—and arguably make them a mandatory addition to at least every 25M raid.

3. You may not like the changes being made. That's fine. You may think you'll enjoy your class less. That's fine too.

What's not fine is running around like Chicken Little spouting off hyperbolic sky-is-falling garbage. Disc is not being killed. We'll still be a desirable spec at every level of play.

4. Companies cannot run without money (at least not for very long, anyway). While not everyone can be pleased, it's safe to say that Blizzard cares enough about what the majority of their subscribers want to ensure that they continue playing the game.

5. Acting like a child and throwing a tantrum on the forums is probably the worst way to get what you want. If you have concerns, post them in a reasonable, intelligible and preferably grammatically sound manner.
Edited by Elethia on 2/12/2013 9:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Headache...coming on...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
At least Blizzard is taking a active stance with Disc with refinements and adjustments. Its not good for any class when they remain stagnant with little to no changes expansion to expansion...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have no IDEA what you are complaining about. My DISC priest got EXTREMELY squishy in PvP after 74, and above 80 healing in dungeons became stupid hard. Our mana pool is to low with the cost rate of spells. Other classes dont need a buff to hit our lvl, they need to be NERFED and hard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/12/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Tenarin
I have no IDEA what you are complaining about. My DISC priest got EXTREMELY squishy in PvP after 74, and above 80 healing in dungeons became stupid hard. Our mana pool is to low with the cost rate of spells. Other classes dont need a buff to hit our lvl, they need to be NERFED and hard.

It really doesn't work when you haven't even hit 90, much less tried the spec with gear. Everything you're saying is very, very inaccurate.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/12/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Tenarin

OP is almost certainly talking about PvE.
PvP =/= PvE.
If you're having issues healing dungeons, you're probably doing something very wrong or your group is.
Reply Quote
Raymorpse is my toons name for armory check.
And Idk what the problem is, but my Priest outside of Shadow just gets steam rolled thru outside of the one time ill get to pop a CD before wiping.
Reply Quote
Ignore the lack of back, its the BOA back, just have it on my pally
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Raymorpse is my toons name for armory check.
And Idk what the problem is, but my Priest outside of Shadow just gets steam rolled thru outside of the one time ill get to pop a CD before wiping.

You are suffering from a severe lack of Spirit. You have 935 Spirit in your current gear. Get more Spirit, and most of your issues will go away.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

5. Acting like a child and throwing a tantrum on the forums is probably the worst way to get what you want. If you have concerns, post them in a reasonable, intelligible and preferably grammatically sound manner.

You're asking too much from the WoW community.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/12/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Ladèn
My honest Opinion they should Leave the Disc Priest alone. Blizzard should STOP Screwing around maybe they should buff other Healing Class's to keep up with us instead for screwing over everyone that like's to heal as a Disc Priest but they wont Because BLIZZARD DOESN'T CARE about what people want they only care about getting there MONEY from everyone that play's WOW

What I know is this - you most likely were much much more mediocre than you are now and even considering your class is extremely OP you're still mediocre in terms of anything relevant in this tier.

Are you afraid people might just happen to notice how you really heal when your healing requires basically nothing to do but push buttons without thinking about it and still beat the majority of players? I'd guess yes...

Unlike you I don't mind being an underdog because frankly I do the best with what is handed to me - I don't consistently whine and moan about all my heals being absorbed by some scrub in robes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/13/2013 07:40 AMPosted by Moophious
Are you afraid people might just happen to notice how you really heal when your healing requires basically nothing to do but push buttons without thinking about it and still beat the majority of players? I'd guess yes...

Even in it's OP state, Disc healing requires more thought and planning than other healing classes. My resto druid is just plain boring compared to my disc priest. One of the reasons that disc is so much fun is that you need to plan your shields, atonement dps, and CD's ahead of time or you're performance will be awful.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Even in it's OP state, Disc healing requires more thought and planning than other healing classes. My resto druid is just plain boring compared to my disc priest. One of the reasons that disc is so much fun is that you need to plan your shields, atonement dps, and CD's ahead of time or you're performance will be awful.

That's funny bro. Honestly.

I'm not knocking good healers who happen to be disc priests but this 'my healer gun is bigger and more complex than yours' isn't a good argument. All healers manage their tools, spells etc. Your class just happens to be able to shield prior to damage, during damage. I can pre hot before,during and after but who cares. Crap players abound in all classes.

Just because you're bored of your druid does not imply that druid healing is boring - it just means possibly that you're not very good and or don't like it's playstyle.

But if you're honestly going to sit here and say that any disc priest can't simply faceroll while watching TrueBlood you're out of your mind..
Edited by Moophious on 2/13/2013 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Blizzard can never balance the game as long as Disc Priests exist in the state they are right now. That being said, the state they will be in literally kills the class for 25man raids. Disc also remains the least interesting healing class with the smallest arsenal of useful spells and the least interaction between spells (no synergy). Disc is the cast spells on CD class, smite-filler, spam 1 spell to AoE heal and that isn't interesting. But at least pre-5.2 I was uninteresting and powerful.
Edited by Poena on 2/13/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/13/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Moophious

I'm not knocking good healers who happen to be disc priests but this 'my healer gun is bigger and more complex than yours' isn't a good argument. All healers manage their tools, spells etc. Your class just happens to be able to shield prior to damage, during damage. I can pre hot before,during and after but who cares. Crap players abound in all classes.

Just because you're bored of your druid does not imply that druid healing is boring - it just means possibly that you're not very good and or don't like it's playstyle.

But if you're honestly going to sit here and say that any disc priest can't simply faceroll while watching TrueBlood you're out of your mind..

Having to plan ahead of damage to pre-shield is more complex than reactive healing. Having to jump between dps and heals during an encounter is more complex than simply healing the entire time. Saying that all healers require the same amount of complexity is stupid. Disc is definitely stronger than other healers in it's current state, but you're exagerrations are ridiculous. If you're getting beat that badly by disc priests perhaps you're not very good or you don't utilizie your toolkit to it's fullest potential.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/13/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Moophious

First, saying "'my healer is more complex than yours' isn't a good argument" when you just argued that priests are easy to play is weird.

Also, have you actually played a disc priest? A lot more thought goes into playing my disc than playing this druid. You have to prepare for damage, which means timing your spirit shell with the boss' timers, which aren't all that accurate (I mean, maybe the timers are, but the boss has a delay after timers, before using the ability). You can't really cast on the move. You don't have a self-dr cd (pain suppression is often for the tanks, and raid bubble for the raid), while druids have 2 (barkskin, and ursoc's might or whatever it's called). Oh, and your AoE heal? It's not smart. It's based on party. So, like, that one party that has 2 dead guys? Maybe you'll just single target heal them with your awful single target heals (vs druid's 90k+ regrowth).

I think Druid is somewhat under-powered, but it's not exactly complex.

Disc is a bit op at the moment, but a severe nerf to their poorly designed aoe, without either buffing holy nova, or giving them some kind of good aoe spell may leave them lacking an important tool.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The only time changes like this bother people are when they play Discipline incorrectly. People that have been playing Discipline for many years (or just have been playing WoW for that long) can tell you that Blizzard designs the game with both rules, and intentions. I like to call Blizzard's rules "The Letter of the Law" and I call Blizzard's intentions "The Spirit of the Law." The Letter of the Law is what you see in patch notes and in game mechanics.

You can follow the rules or Letter of the Law (avoid cheating) but still ignore the intention or Spirit of the Law. For example, there was a recent change to Blingtron that makes it account-wide. People were logging on with 10 alts every day to collect Blingtron gifts. That was not cheating. They were following the Letter of the Law. But it was never Blizzard's intention to have people log on 10 alts to max out their odds of getting good stuff.

The Letter of the Law for Discipline is that Spirit Shell allows Discipline Priests to convert Prayer of Healing into a much more powerful group-wide shield spell. However, that is not the Spirit in which it was intended. Back a long time ago, Blizzard decided that Discipline Priests needed some multi-target shield spells. They started out with Power Word: Barrier. Initially, it was designed to absorb a huge amount of damage over 20 seconds. However, it was too powerful in PvP, because it could be used on a single target and make them nearly invincible. So it was converted to a damage-reduction effect.

So next, they tried to just make PW: Shield an ability that can be cast so fast and so often, that it could be used to shield entire raids. But that was horribly boring. After that, they decided to try to force Discipline to be like all the other healers. Give them a plain Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal, and Prayer of Healing, and just get away from Shielding altogether by nerfing PW: Shield down to 15 second duration and a tiny absorb amount. Then nobody wanted to play Discipline in PvE anymore.

So then came MoP, and they introduced Spirit Shell. It was originally just a PW: Shield spell with a cast time attached to it. It replaced Greater Heal for a while, but then people had trouble in PvP because of the long cast time. So then it replaced Flash Heal for a while, but people had trouble spot-healing in raids, and it was a little too powerful in PvP. So the result was what we have on live: a spell that converts healing spells into shielding spells, in an attempt to give Discipline something else to do other than spam PW: Shield.

However, Spirit Shell became so good, and PW: Shield was so expensive and bad, that nobody used PW: Shield anymore. So now, they're buffing PW: Shield by reducing the cost and increasing the absorb, and nerfing Spirit Shell a little bit by removing Mastery from it, and making Crit affect it instead.

The problem is that players were following the min-max approach, and only following the Letter of the Law. They never looked at Blizzard's intentions for Spirit Shell, and just milked the unintended functionality for every last drop. They weren't cheating, but that's not what Spirit Shell was ever designed to do.

So for people like me who have been playing with Spirit Shell the way it was intended to be played (as a castable shield spell in addition to PW: Shield), this change doesn't affect me much at all. I might re-gem to Crit instead of Mastery, but that's not a big deal. It's only the people who tried to play the numbers that are having adverse reactions to this.

Discipline is, and has always been, an intuitive specialization that requires a lot of forethought. It has a very high skill cap, and you get rewarded for learning how to use your abilities to synchronize with other healers in a raid. Spirit Shell's unintended functionality endangered that. Rather than increasing our complexity and skill cap, it decreased it. Instead of increasing the effectiveness of other healers in the raid, we overpowered them and made them feel like their heals were wasted or too weak to compete.

That is how people need to look at this issue. It isn't a nerf because we're too strong. It's returning to the Spirit of the Law, rather than just following the Letter of the Law with insensate lust.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]