How's fire on PTR?

1 Troll Rogue
I'm wondering how the change to Invocation is effecting fire pve, and how fire is feeling in general. I'm sure there is someone out there messing with it on PTR.
Reply Quote
78 Gnome Mage
Actually, I'd like to know as well. Seeing as i decided to level this mage as fire.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Unless something has changed since 5.1 in the way of buffing fire then most likely it will still get trucked by arcane. As of yet i have not seen anything from blizzard saying they intend to buff fires damage.

Sooooooo yeah.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Unless something has changed since 5.1 in the way of buffing fire then most likely it will still get trucked by arcane. As of yet i have not seen anything from blizzard saying they intend to buff fires damage.

Sooooooo yeah.

I haven't seen anything at all regarding fire, it's been all arc and frost.
This is why I ask.

[edit: minus scorch going to fire mages]
Edited by Freemarket on 2/13/2013 12:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I was disappointed with fire on the PTR, even using the 5pc of T15(ilvl 522) in place of my current tier pieces, I wasn't impressed with it. Granted even with those 5 pieces my ilvl was only 503, but it still seemed way too RNG with huge variances in dmg, typical of fire though.

Maybe with more gear still it will perform better and more consistently, but with 5, 5min goes on the target dummy, DPS ranged from 63k to 84k per go. 84k had a 5percent higher crit rate then I should have had, which was about 42% instead of 37%(Pyro crit rate was about 50 due to the set bonus).

Not to say I played fire perfectly but I had to try to get below 90k as arcane(granted it was way overtuned and getting nerfed), the dmg of arcane was pretty stable over the course of 5, 5min tests going from 93k to 97k.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
I was disappointed with fire on the PTR, even using the 5pc of T15(ilvl 522) in place of my current tier pieces, I wasn't impressed with it. Granted even with those 5 pieces my ilvl was only 503, but it still seemed way too RNG with huge variances in dmg, typical of fire though.

Maybe with more gear still it will perform better and more consistently, but with 5, 5min goes on the target dummy, DPS ranged from 63k to 84k per go. 84k had a 5percent higher crit rate then I should have had, which was about 42% instead of 37%(Pyro crit rate was about 50 due to the set bonus).

Not to say I played fire perfectly but I had to try to get below 90k as arcane(granted it was way overtuned and getting nerfed), the dmg of arcane was pretty stable over the course of 5, 5min tests going from 93k to 97k.

Thanks for the info.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Also, please remember they are just now doing number passes. So dps of the specs are likely not where they will end up. Basically it is all guesses currently.

The current feeling is arcane will be top again because of all the attention it is getting.

But, we will have to wait and see.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
They are playing with arcane's numbers so it may change. They are aiming for a nerf compared to live so unless they mess up arcane will go down.

However, for fire they are satisfied with its performance. Want to know how fire plays in 5.2? ... no need for the PTR, just login to the live game and spec fire.

Fire isn't changing at all so it will play the same. The only difference may be that at higher gear levels it may be possible to get slightly higher crit rating.

Regarding change to invocation: All this means is you spend less time evocating as fire. Everything else in the PVE rotation remains the same.
Edited by Mistwynd on 2/13/2013 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The funny about Fire on the PTR is that invocation will actually oom you before its duration is over - you'll have to use a mana gem to barely prevent that, but for the second invocation at least you'll have to cast it before the buff expires since you're out of mana.

Other than that, fire is functionally unchanged. It will scale very well with higher gear levels, simply because Every BiS piece with the exception of one item will have crit on it. Expect to hit crit levels in excess of 50-55% by the end of the tier. I'd argue that it'll start pulling ahead of arcane, especially with the recent nerfs to arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/13/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Napwneon
The funny about Fire on the PTR is that invocation will actually oom you before its duration is over - you'll have to use a mana gem to barely prevent that, but for the second invocation at least you'll have to cast it before the buff expires since you're out of mana.

Have you tried it out with the nerfed Rune on the PTR?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Yeah, nerfed rune will provide 100% mana. So if you'll never have to move RoP will be better.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

Other than that, fire is functionally unchanged. It will scale very well with higher gear levels, simply because Every BiS piece with the exception of one item will have crit on it. Expect to hit crit levels in excess of 50-55% by the end of the tier. I'd argue that it'll start pulling ahead of arcane, especially with the recent nerfs to arcane.

Considering how much Blizz hates high secondary stat scaling (especially crit) I wouldn't be surprised if Critical Mass got nerfed again to prevent exactly what you've described.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
02/13/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Napwneon

This is pretty frustrating, since one of the reasons they gave us invocation is their belief that we would never use evocate otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Actually, now that I think about it that was with 0% mana regeneration for invocation in its current incarnation. We're getting back 50% regen when the PTR servers come back up, and that should be enough such that you won't oom anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Ah, that's a lot better then
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Most people that play fire and complain about fire don't really understand how to play fire.

I know there are some fights where RNG just sucks; but I play fire, have played fire for years, and will never play anything but fire (And arcane on those very few fights that require heavy and fast burst)

I range from 70-85k on raid fights consistantly, and about 120k+ burst at the beginning of the fight with no TW.

I don't see anything wrong with Fire, though it might could use a bit of a damage boost, its fun; and i would prefer to have low numbers and have fun than have high numbers and want to shoot myself with an arcane blast.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Most people that play fire and complain about fire don't really understand how to play fire.

I know there are some fights where RNG just sucks; but I play fire, have played fire for years, and will never play anything but fire (And arcane on those very few fights that require heavy and fast burst)

I range from 70-85k on raid fights consistantly, and about 120k+ burst at the beginning of the fight with no TW.

I don't see anything wrong with Fire, though it might could use a bit of a damage boost, its fun; and i would prefer to have low numbers and have fun than have high numbers and want to shoot myself with an arcane blast.

You may "know how" to play fire, but you obviously have no idea how to play arcane if you can't beat fire with arcane on ANY fight.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
So pretty much, we're getting the invocation overhaul, and we're getting scorch back.

Fire is middle of the pack as it is, won't the 10% dmg loss on invocation drop fire way down?
I understand it's getting it's channel halved, and it's duration increased, but won't that still end up as a huge net loss?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
So pretty much, we're getting the invocation overhaul, and we're getting scorch back.

Fire is middle of the pack as it is, won't the 10% dmg loss on invocation drop fire way down?
I understand it's getting it's channel halved, and it's duration increased, but won't that still end up as a huge net loss?

It comes out to be about even, give or take 1-2% to take into account personal uptime before and after and haste values.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue

It comes out to be about even, give or take 1-2% to take into account personal uptime before and after and haste values.

Interesting, thank you Hiroran.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]