Professions for ret?

90 Human Warrior
So, I'm going to make a pally toon, but I don't know which profs to pick. It's going to be a ret pally. This toon here has bs and mining, but I'm making a Horde toon so I guess this one is irelevant. Suggestions on good prof choices? I'm considering maybe an enchanting/skinning combo for skinning dps and because belfs have a racial enchant bonus. Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Skinning's crit perk is pretty wasted on Ret, even with Inq now giving us a bonus 10% while active; Herbalism's Lifeblood would be much better if you're adamant about taking a gather profession.

Mostly it depends on how serious you are about the character and what your end-game goals are - do you want to raid progression? LFR hero? BG hero? Arenas? For any and all of that, Blacksmithing is hands-down the best profession, as the sockets are insanely flexible; Engineering, with its various tinkers, is really strong, too - Synapse Springs lines up really well with Execution Sentence for some serious damage output. Enchanting, though, is always in demand so it's probably going to be the most stable source of revenue if you're going to be cut off from your other toons' resources.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Eng is mad fun in BGs, I've baited so many trinkets with frag belt bombs xD

Grog summed it up very well, BS/Eng is what I went with, it's too much fun
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Eng is mad fun in BGs, I've baited so many trinkets with frag belt bombs xD

Grog summed it up very well, BS/Eng is what I went with, it's too much fun

Hmm maybe, except I hate mining :/ I did mining on this toon and leveling fel iron and adamantite was the WORST. I fell so far behind I was at my mid-80's before I even began seriously working on prof leveling
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I did Enchanting/Alchemy for the arena bonuses and their low cost to buy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
BS for extra sockets, and JC for extra stats with JC gems. That and you can make a little bit of side money on the ah with JC if you are patient.
Reply Quote
35 Blood Elf Priest
JC is not that great. You miss out on a lot of stats when using your serpent's eyes, not to mention it will likely get the shaft when epic gems come out.

OP, 2 crafting professions are better than a gathering/crafting, but if you want to level a gathering with a crafting, herbalism is better than skinning for ret.
Edited by Linisavia on 2/12/2013 10:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Eng/bs is literally the best choice for you to make. They're the 2 best pvp choices. But neither of them make very good money at all lol mining makes good money, herbalism has a really nice buff, skinning is actually not that bad, considering crit makes for some cool happenings. I took crit over mastery simply for the extra chance to get wog crits and because I'm just used to it from when mastery double dipped in resil. Lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/12/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Thermadin
BS/Eng is what I went with, it's too much fun
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
BS and Eng is what i ultimately ended up with, and i haven't looked back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
for paladins the answer is always engi/bs
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/12/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Linisavia
You miss out on a lot of stats when using your serpent's eyes,

Plz explain how being able to equip gems that have more stats, is losing out on stats.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/13/2013 01:02 PMPosted by Vod
You miss out on a lot of stats when using your serpent's eyes,

Plz explain how being able to equip gems that have more stats, is losing out on stats.

Because Blizzard forgot to include the 2:1 ratio of secondary gems vs primaries in the epic gems. Because you gain more stats from having two extra sockets in BS as opposed to the JC gems, which while at first glance seem powerful, but the net gain is worse than Blacksmithing (if you're doing it right, you're using your 2 of your primary JC gems, which are still inferior to 2 rare secondary gems).

Er, TLDR: Blacksmithing gains a potential of 640 secondary stats vs JC's net gain of 160 bonus stats.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I did Mining and JC, just because i wanted to.... and then i got on with my life.........
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/13/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Jackishi

Because Blizzard forgot to include the 2:1 ratio of secondary gems vs primaries in the epic gems. Because you gain more stats from having two extra sockets in BS as opposed to the JC gems, which while at first glance seem powerful, but the net gain is worse than Blacksmithing (if you're doing it right, you're using your 2 of your primary JC gems, which are still inferior to 2 rare secondary gems).

Er, TLDR: Blacksmithing gains a potential of 640 secondary stats vs JC's net gain of 160 bonus stats.

So go BS/JC...and get all of the above. That's what I did at least. I'm still unfamiliar with Engineering perks, so comparing Engi and JC is what I'm interested in.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Engineering's main DPS perk is the Synapse Springs glove tinker - provides what amounts to a 1min trink which boosts your primary stat by something in the neighborhood of 1900, I think. Lines up perfectly with ES, and strength is one of two stackable stats that actually benefit ES, crit being the other.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Pvp

Enchanting and BS
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bc/enchanting but I need to finish XD
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i'd say JC and Enchant

make some nice red gems specifically for JC and extra +strength enchant on 2 rings.
Edited by Immortalock on 2/14/2013 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/13/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Jackishi

Oh I did not realize you were saying pick one or the other, I took both though myself.
Edited by Vod on 2/14/2013 3:40 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]