Vent Vs Mumble Vs Dolby Axon

90 Orc Death Knight
We're about to do away with our vent server, it's a resource and bandwidth hog and the audio quality is horrible.

I've used mumble and like the low profile for bandwidth and resources, but the set up can a little clunky.

I was recently turned onto Dolby Axon, it's more of a skype/aim chat type program but once your account is created and you have your primary channel set up you have full administrative access, the one worry I have is getting people to actually create an account to sign into the client, there's no profile or other sort of nonsense like that but still, with wow players we're trying to her cats here.

It uses even fewer system resources has better sound quality and has a fool proof installation for the client, and as a bonus, you can have as many people in your channel as you want and there's no fee for client licenses unless you purchase a premium account.

Anyone have any experience with mumble (which seems to be the new standard at least among raiding guilds) or Axon? Any other suggestions?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mumble is what all the Top Tier guilds use and i prefer it over Teamspeak/Ventrillo. I would go with Mumble, its Light Weight and has very good sound quality.

Never heard of Dobly Axon, so it must not be that good as far as Raiding/WoW is concerned.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I think it's more that it's new and hasn't been spread around much, and honestly, with the growth of mumble there's not much impetus to change. I know a lot of people who play LoL and Rift who use Axion but no one who uses it for WoW.

Mumble does seem the better choice, was just curious as to options and opinions.
Reply Quote
We use mumble and yes it is a bit "clunky" on the initial set up. Once its in place however it is pretty easy to customize. It is also SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and as you said it is easier on resources.

My opinion is this. We switched to Mumble around the time we started Firelands and almost no one was using it. It was a HUGE nightmare to get people to even consider downloading it if they weren't part of our regular team. We WoW players are creatures of habit. I honestly would recommend Mumble over Axon if for no other reason then not having the headache of convincing every PuG you ever pick up to install the new system.

It also seems beneficial to have faction raid guilds on the same format for the benefit of those days when we end up working together.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Poor people use mumble.

The inability to lower someone else is a huge turn off. Alas it's what my guild uses =(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

The inability to lower someone else is a huge turn off.

As in lowering the volume? o.o;
I can't imagine using something like this (unless it has some sort of volume auto tuning).
The first thing I do when joining a vent channel is to adjust everyone's sound level in order to protect my eardrums from serious damage. >(°~°)<

Regarding my personal experience with Vent;
I used to play wow on a very old laptop with 1.2ghz, 384mb ram, SUPER slow dsl (45KB/s down- 9KB/s upstream) and vent didn't appear to have a noticeable impact on wow's performance, fps or latency wise.
I can't really confirm Vent being a resource and bandwidth hog.
Besides, that was like 4 years ago - I assume most folks got faster machines these days ^.~

About Vent's sound quality:
I think the individual's microphone quality has usually a much greater impact on the sound quality than the used audio streaming protocol because in the same vent channels I've listened to crystal clear voice sound but also sound quality that forced me to mute people.

The audio quality might also depend on the server in question, gratis vent servers might offer lower bandwidth resulting in lower sound quality.
I should add that we are using a paid vent server (thanks Hakeem!).
Unless you want to stream high fidelity music I personally think Vent's sound is pretty decent.
Edited by Lillefjollet on 2/14/2013 12:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/14/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Lillefjollet
(unless it has some sort of volume auto tuning).

it does.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
That's really nice, it's a feature I'm hoping vent will add eventually.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I highly doubt vent will add anything in the future. Its been stagnate for years now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I remember when they added the feature that tells your people what song you are listening to in Itunes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
that was years ago! the earliest i remember using that feature was i believe ulduar!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Dolby is far and away the best.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]