Disc PVE News

100 Undead Priest
Just going to put this here in case you don't follow the PTR threads.
Now if only we could get some PVP news...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811342046?page=90#
From GC:
Priest
- Power Infusion - in addition to current effects, also increases all damage by 10%.
- And now, Discipline. Recall that the main problems we are trying to fix for Disc in PvE are that they are overpowered and relying too much on Prayer of Healing spam, especially in 25s. We made some changes to Divine Aegis, but we're not happy with them. Because of the interaction with crit and mastery, we worry Disc will be too crit-dependent and won't be strong enough when they fail to crit. On top of that, we're worried that it will be too easy to push Disc priests into loving mastery and hating crit or loving crit and hating mastery. To try and address all of those problems, old and new, we are trying a few different things:

1) Divine Aegis now works differently. It causes any critical heal to proc a bubble for 100% of the heal instead of doubling the heal. In other words, a crit for Holy is a 200% heal. A crit for Disc is a 100% heal + a 100% bubble. The bubble however benefits from mastery, so it's more likely a 100% heal + a 130% bubble.
2) Power Word: Shield can now crit for Discipline.
3) Mastery now boosts shields by 1.6% per point (down from 2.5% per point) but now also increases all healing by 0.8% per point.

What we hope this does:

- Keeps the kit of Divine Aegis making crits do something special.
- Makes Disc still awesome at bubbles, but not quite so weak at heals. (Holy will cast bigger heals than Disc, but not 50% higher.)
- Makes Prayer of Healing good for periods of restoring damage, but makes Power Word: Shield better for periods of preventing damage. (Inner Focus to force Divine Aegis and Spirit Shell also help with preventing damage).
- Making crit a good stat, because it benefits most of the toolbox (including PW:S) and causing Divine Aegis bubbles, but also keeping mastery a good stat, because the bubbles are large, and even when you don't get a bubble, it will still help your heal.

"Help, I'm a nervous Disc priest. Reassure me!"

Keep casting Prayer of Healing like you do today. Keep using Spirit Shell when you anticipate big damage. Start using Power Word: Shield more than you likely do today. Remember that we buffed Penance. Atonement still works. You might need to pay more attention to Spirit (the way the other healers do today).

Yes, I wrote all of this from a PvE point of view. We made several other Disc changes to help in PvP, and we haven't reverted any unless I explicitly mentioned them.
Edited by Kimchi on 2/14/2013 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
This...is...weird!

But I like it! Nice to see GC and folk ready to make some interesting change. Although I wonder if mastery isn't a bit too good with those change.

DA is still very RNG dependent which ultimately work against absorb but it's interesting
Reply Quote
For the first time in my wow life I feel like I'm loved by blizzard. They ignored us completely during cata's and pandaria's start but they could redeem themselves here. Mastery affecting heals and my main spell can now crit!

More bubbles please.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'm not sure if i like the divine aegis change. It seems like an overall nerf in my opinion.

On live i can easily crit greater heal for 300k + 50% of this as shield

how is 150k heal + 190k'ish shield better? The shield is barely any better on a big crit and the heal is half of what it used to be.

Or am i reading it wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm not sure if i like the divine aegis change. It seems like an overall nerf in my opinion.

On live i can easily crit greater heal for 300k + 50% of this as shield

how is 150k heal + 190k'ish shield better? The shield is barely any better on a big crit and the heal is half of what it used to be.

Or am i reading it wrong?

The DA change is a straight nerf to crit. The DA bubble is slightly bigger, but we lose half the heal. It's effectively the same total as other healers' crits (sans mastery).

In some situations the absorb will be more effective than the heal. In others it will be partially/completely wasted. Crit in general isn't a stat you depend on to fill bars, so it's generally a good thing. Might be awkward for those used to using IF to fill bars fast, as it won't do that anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Thanks for the clarification. However now i'm expecting disc to flat out suck compared to other healers on fights like tsulong since shields doesn't count as heal and won't make its lifebar go up.

meh ;/
Edited by Lovelykitty on 2/15/2013 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
With the change to mastery, our heals will be healing for about 20% more while raid buffed, with about 40% increase on the DA size. So your 150k Gheal will heal for 180k with a 252k shield when you crit. Seems like a buff to me when you consider how powerful shields are vs raw heals.
Edited by Steehll on 2/15/2013 1:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
A few weeks until the patch and they are still messing with things. Why do I feel like it's the early 70s, I already paid for my new Pinto coming to the lot next month, and the engineers are still trying to figure out what to do with the gas tank?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Good changes for both PvE and PvP.

DA [s]undispellable and[/s] providing HUGE shields when it crits are great news for PvP. DA is now capped at 60% and PW:S can now crit. Flash Heal is now cheaper. We got great buffs for PvP.

For PvE the 20% buff to Penance is the best you could possibly want. Also, with the new Mastery increasing healing and the Crit change to provide a bubble instead of healing I could say people will still whine about our shields making them useless.

Power Infusion buff to damage is also great news for Atonement healing, which I predict will be the best way to heal in 5.2.

Spirit Shell + PoH spam got nerfed, yes, but that was really boring anyway compared to Atonement and you can still pop the mass bubble when you forecast heavy incoming damage.
Edited by Caramelo on 2/15/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
The DA change seems like a major major nerf to our crit heals...
Edited by Ayani on 2/15/2013 7:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

DA undispellable and providing HUGE shields when it crits are great news for PvP. DA is now capped at 60% and PW:S can now crit. Flash Heal is now cheaper. We got great buffs for PvP.

For PvE the 20% buff to Penance is the best you could possibly want. Also, with the new Mastery increasing healing and the Crit change to provide a bubble instead of healing I could say people will still whine about our shields making them useless.

Power Infusion buff to damage is also great news for Atonement healing, which I predict will be the best way to heal in 5.2.

Spirit Shell + PoH spam got nerfed, yes, but that was really boring anyway compared to Atonement and you can still pop the mass bubble when you forecast heavy incoming damage.

They did not make DA undispellable lulz GC said he does not like undispellable mechanics. I am also looking forward to the changes. Playing disc was starting to get boring....
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I need to cross post more.

This is a CHANGE. It turns our healing into highly situation 'all or nothing' heals.

Old DA: 100hp (heal) + 100hp (crit) + DA(Absorb 50% +mastery)

New DA: 100 (heal) + DA (Absorb 100% + mastery)

So some practical application:

Case 1: If you happen to crit on a target that's taking constant damage, it's probably a buff/pull even, mastery rating depending - all absorbs are eatened up.

Case 2: If you are looking to heal somebody back up after sporadic damage, this is an overwhelmingly hard nerf (all absorbs are wasted) - unless your mastery is impossibly high to a point where the raw healing buff actually overtakes whatever you lose from the DA change (That extra 100% raw healing turns into an unabsorbed bubble). I can see this being really really rough on atonement where most of the time you actually want raw healing 'crits' than absorbs due to the smart heal nature of atonement and what you use it for (sporadic spikes that are unlikely to occur on the same target twice)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

DA undispellable and providing HUGE shields when it crits are great news for PvP. DA is now capped at 60% and PW:S can now crit. Flash Heal is now cheaper. We got great buffs for PvP.

They did not make DA undispellable lulz GC said he does not like undispellable mechanics. I am also looking forward to the changes. Playing disc was starting to get boring....

oh, you're right, it's SS that can't be dispelled.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I need to cross post more.

This is a CHANGE. It turns our healing into highly situation 'all or nothing' heals.

Old DA: 100hp (heal) + 100hp (crit) + DA(Absorb 50% +mastery)

New DA: 100 (heal) + DA (Absorb 100% + mastery)

So some practical application:

Case 1: If you happen to crit on a target that's taking constant damage, it's probably a buff/pull even, mastery rating depending - all absorbs are eatened up.

Case 2: If you are looking to heal somebody back up after sporadic damage, this is an overwhelmingly hard nerf (all absorbs are wasted) - unless your mastery is impossibly high to a point where the raw healing buff actually overtakes whatever you lose from the DA change (That extra 100% raw healing turns into an unabsorbed bubble). I can see this being really really rough on atonement where most of the time you actually want raw healing 'crits' than absorbs due to the smart heal nature of atonement and what you use it for (sporadic spikes that are unlikely to occur on the same target twice)

If you look at your logs when Atonement healing you will see that most of it's healing is directed to your Tanks, since they are constantly taking damage. Now that they will get 100% bubbles and DA got 60% cap I see Discipline getting stronger as Tank Healers, also PW:S cheaper and able to crit is a good change in this matter.

To raid healing everyone up, Druids and Shamans were always the best choices, and our best option for that matter was to PoH without SS (or lvl 90 talent).

With this change I see our niche as shielders getting stronger. Atonement healing will still provide great Tank healing (and some raid healing) and overall our DA will be much stronger in the logs.

They might have to make some number changes (maybe increasing the +heal to our mastery or increasing our overal healing), but the mechanics changes are great if you want to be that guy that prevent damage.

The bad news is that if there are more than one Disc Priest in the raid we will heavily disturb one another, but this is already a reality.
Reply Quote
Well, I'm personally happy for these changes. It is welcoming to have our shields also increase our healing. Mastery is growing more important. These changes are really nice, especially the penance/evangalism buff. I can make evangalism more useful by stacking that and have Archangel put together. 45% healing boost fo Penance is so very welcoming! (25% from Archangel, 20% for 5 Evangalism stacks.)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Doesn't DA cap at 40% of the casters hp? Or was this reverted at some point prior to today?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/15/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
Doesn't DA cap at 40% of the casters hp? Or was this reverted at some point prior to today?

GC said it's being changed to 60%.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/15/2013 07:55 AMPosted by Caramelo
If you look at your logs when Atonement healing you will see that most of it's healing is directed to your Tanks, since they are constantly taking damage. Now that they will get 100% bubbles and DA got 60% cap I see Discipline getting stronger as Tank Healers, also PW:S cheaper and able to crit is a good change in this matter.

I don't know how you do your raids, etc. But while yes, the tank takes up larger portion atonement healing - random log browsing, let's say 30%, the other 70% went out to the rest of the raid as spot healing. That's 70% that benefits more from a straight up 100+100+DA crit than a 100 + DA.

Atonement (in a non-gimmick fight) is our best spot healing option there is and the DA change is going to be more of a 'huge !@# nerf' than a 'minor buff' in that aspect. Sure, atonement 'helps out' on tank, but as said, it 'helps out'. I really don't think any disc uses it as 'the' tank healing go-to spell when they're specifically assigned to one - unless it's a damage modifier fight or the incoming damage is so low it doesn't matter. I'd love an option to turn DA off so I can help top raid off without feeling all my crits are going to waste.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]