How does a GM stand down

90 Blood Elf Monk
Hai, if you decide that you no longer want to be a GM, what's the best way to make sure that your guild is in the good hands of someone you trust, someone who isn't going to go taking all the gold from the guild bank to go start their own guild, let alone kicking everyone in the whole guild or whatever, what is the best way to make sure that you hand the reigns to isn't going to do either of these two things?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Give it to your #2, whom you presumably trust.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
And what if number 2 has quit wow? Give it to number 3?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Give it to someone you trust. Simple.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Give it to the person in the guild you trust and who wants the position. With the understanding that once you do, the guild is his to do with what he choses.

The hardest thing an ex GM can do is watch the new GM take the guild down a path you would not have chosen.

So if you do step down and transfer leadership to another player I would also consider leaving the guild one for the above reason and two is that as long as your in the guild, out of habit the guildies will still come to you with their issues and problems and expect you to fix them and lastly the new guild leader may be uncomfortable with your presence

Of Course this is something you should discuss with the new guild leader before transfering the position to him,, what is is his opinion on you remaining in the guild on any toon as just a guildie?

Good luck
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
02/16/2013 04:46 AMPosted by Sinthndria

I don't understand the question, you cannot have a #3 without a #2, by definition.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Give it to someone who has been in the guild a long time and who loves the guild and wants to see it succeed. Then say your goodbyes and leave guild. The guild absolutely will change, be different. If you stay active in guild, there will be divided loyalties any time you and the new gm disagree.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Thanks for the advice guys.

02/16/2013 06:22 AMPosted by Rvalue

I don't understand the question, you cannot have a #3 without a #2, by definition.

Well the person I could honestly say I trusted completely with everything left the game, I don't trust the current people high up in the guild as much as I trusted her, but that's no big deal. I will think about what people said.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you are really ready to move on, then you honestly have to let the guild go. Do your best to ensure its vitality and success by who you promote, but that is all you can do. Guilds rise and fall.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
bro youre 474. nothing will happen to your precious guild.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Lol I wasn't talking about THIS guild. But for the record, you would be surprised that in my experience, social guilds are MUCH more likely to be the target of guild ninjas and mass g-kickers.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/17/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Sinthndria
social guilds are MUCH more likely to be the target of guild ninjas and mass g-kickers

I believe it. That said, you can only do your best, there are no guarantees that anyone you promote will be the correct and best choice.

I know one of the things I've been trying to do, for the 1.5 years I've had this guild, is plan for the eventual passing of leadership. There are several I trust, but none who want to gm the guild.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
After all the fuss you've made about your precious member-capped guild, you're going to abdicate? Honestly, it doesn't matter who you choose. Your guild isn't a community; it's a collection of people in a common chat channel. If you really cared about your guild, you wouldn't have built it using SGI spam. Hell, pick the first person to log on, and move on.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Thanks for the advice guys.

Well the person I could honestly say I trusted completely with everything left the game, I don't trust the current people high up in the guild as much as I trusted her, but that's no big deal. I will think about what people said.

02/16/2013 07:27 AMPosted by Sinthndria
the person I could honestly say I trusted completely with everything left the game

Quit setting yourself & others up to fail (failing you/your impossible standards, anyway) with the following mistake; expecting perfect complete infallible anticipations that borderline on mind-reading-like trust.

Although you seem to feel from time to time or once in a blue moon that there are these magical ppl who are somehow a copy of you/your beliefs/your mindset that you can trust with "everything".

Its not fair to put so much responsibility & such ridiculously high expectations on ppl. You're reliving & echoing the same breakdowns in understanding & trust again & again not because ppl are bad or evil or liars that you innocently trusted at first, but because nobody can be expected to intrinsically know all your wants & needs & expectations perfectly at all times. NO ONE CAN. Not even you can do it for your few close friends. NO ONE CAN. Especially if they only ever know your wants/needs/expectations through TEXT. So very many subtle differences & nuances are lost in text that are understood through spoken word, even better face to face communications.

AND NO, I am NOT asking you to go meet up in person or invite them to your home. You are getting to be so predictable & exasperating in your non-understanding misinterpretations that you seize upon & immediately write it all in stone. gah! yep, I can hear you in my head now...

It simply means that much of your communication can be lost in text, so always blaming others for letting you down, changing, walking away from loyalty could at least in part be caused by misunderstandings & your overly excessive SUPERFLUOUS expectations of "perfect trust" "perfect friend" "perfect guildies" etc. Stop demanding perfection when nobody is perfect, not even you. AND NO it doesn't mean to accept a lot of unwarranted sh!t & settling for everything you hate. STOP BEING SO BLACK & WHITE! *exasperated sigh

02/16/2013 07:27 AMPosted by Sinthndria
I don't trust the current people high up in the guild as much as I trusted her, but that's no big deal. I will think about what people said.

If you have been/are the current Guild Leader, then why are ppl you do not trust/feel comfortable with in high positions in your guild? Fix that. It is completely within your hands to change & fix this issue. It shouldn't even be a question.

I am starting to feel that the possibilities of you being a troll are less significant to the facts that you are proving over & over again that you do not want ppl to be close to you. You think you yearn for a perfect friendship/guildies/etc but deep down I think you set up these impossible, insurmountable feats that NOBODY could pass, at least not for very long, thus ending whatever friendship had gotten started.

You fear closeness so set it up not to happen & make it look like all others forsake you or end up to be liars/thieves/haters/cheaters/villains of all sorts just so you can remain at a safe distance from ppl.

I feel awful that I think this is the truth. I believe deep in my heart that you are a decent but wounded person who needs a thoughtful & kind therapist/counselor. I hope you seek out help & find it very soon, before you're looking back on your life & wishing you had.
Edited by Sugarleaf on 2/17/2013 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
No idea what you are talking about Kalmia and Sugearleaf. Perhaps you've got me mixed up with someone else.

But um on the point of trust, yeah, I suppose the current people high up are okay, and not caused me any grief or trouble, so will def think of them. Thanks.
Edited by Sinthndria on 2/18/2013 3:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I might not post here a lot but I do read threads almost daily. And I have to say...

Sinth: don't insult people's intelligence.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/16/2013 05:21 AMPosted by Ssinfull
With the understanding that once you do, the guild is his to do with what he choses.

Please read this and repeat it to yourself until you finally understand it. With anything in life or in game, you may have created and nurtured and grown something, but once you decide that you don't want to shape it any longer and hand it over to someone else, you relinquish all control.

• Don't come to this forum to complain that the new GM has replaced your officers, kicked out some friends of yours, made the guild more/less hardcore, etc.
• Don't send messages to the new GM that you've "been hearing from some guildies that they don't like the new style of leadership".
• Don't hang out in the guild chat to hear people say how much they miss you so much and wish you were still the GM.
• Don't ask for your guild back.

If you plan on doing any of the above, you are not ready to let go of your guild. Either keep leading it, or disband it entirely.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Mage
When my GM had to stop playing as frequently due to real life stuff, she came first to two of us, explained the situation, and asked if either of us would be willing to take over as GM. I was, so we put together a plan and went from there. We set a date by which the transition would be finished, and in that time, we worked together to get everything done that needed to be done. She posted on the site to let the guild know what was going on, and I followed it up with a post letting people know that we'd keep going down our current path as a guild, etc.

At her request, and with her payment, we voted on a new name for the guild and changed the name. We changed any info on the guild site that needed to be changed. She showed me the ins and outs of all the stuff she generally took care of, and she made herself available to answer any questions I might have. And when we got it all done, she made me GM, and then she disappeared for a while to make the transition easier on the guildies.

Now this would have gone differently if I had wanted to take the guild down a different road, instead of having us continue on as we had been. And she was well aware of that possibility and had reconciled herself to it before she ever mentioned that she needed to step down. You need to make sure you're okay with that possibility as well. Once you hand over the GM position to someone else, they can change the guild entirely, and you need to be okay with that. If you're not, then you're probably not ready to step down.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/18/2013 03:26 AMPosted by Sinthndria
No idea what you are talking about Kalmia and Sugearleaf. Perhaps you've got me mixed up with someone else.

From what you've said and an easy browser add-on it's completely obvious who you are, and we know which other character you've been posting from a lot. Playing dumb just makes you look like you're trolling instead of looking for answers and will result in you getting less and less useful responses.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/18/2013 03:26 AMPosted by Sinthndria

If you're going to play this game, I can post a screenshot. Or people can just forum ignore your monk and see which other frequent death knight poster also disappears.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]