Why aren't you a GM?

66 Blood Elf Death Knight
Don't think of this as an attack, I'm just wondering why people aren't GM's, and what they feel their reasons are. Everyone's heard stories of those 'great' GM's and the bad apples that grow near them to steal their sunshine, but no one tells the stories of those people who could be a GM, but aren't.

For instance, I could be a GM. I have experience, I have leadership abilities, a caring heart. When someone throws me in a fire long enough to melt the ice encasing it. I farm ores, enchanting materials, gems, and herbs. And I donate what I can to the guild, when I can.

As for the reason why I can't be a GM. I excell at being 'second best'. I mean that. I'm the type of person that takes 'right hand man' to an extreme, I'm almost always in the right spot to catch anything a raid tank misses. I'm always ready to 'catch' rogue mobs that head for a healer, and when I have a paladin, dropping HoP/HoS (Hand of protection, for those that don't know, prevents any physical attack to, or from, the player for the length of the spell. Hand of salvation, removes any and all threat, for the length of the spell.) on a hunter pet whose master simply can't understand growl is bad in a dungeon/raid situation. Granted, in certain raid situations, it's essential to have a hunter who knows how to pet tank, and has a healer that can target their pet if the need ever arises. Gods forbid.

Because I'm so wired into being 'second best' I need the lifeline of control above to do my best. Put me in the GM seat, and things start heading south. Maybe not fast, maybe not noticeably. But it'll happen with time. Maybe a harsh word to a misperceived verbal bite, or forgetting a raid night due to family concerns, or possibly forgetting to mention it to the guild. But eventually, things slip.

So I'm quite happy being 'second best' to someone who knows and trusts me, but I'll never be a GM. I lack the ambition. Actually that's probably the first thing I should have said. I lack the ambition to be a GM and hold onto the reigns of power.

So what I'm asking is, for what reasons are you not a GM?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I was very briefly a GM -- was in a guild back in 2007, GM was leaving, gave me the guild. I gave it to someone else.

I don't want to be a GM or even a RL. I manage people 40-60 hours a week, so the last thing I want to do with my free time is manage people who I can't hold monetary compensation over their heads.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Because I already am in guilds with excellent GMs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Because I haven't been kicked out of the other guilds I'm in yet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
At the moment, I don't put nearly enough effort into the game to want to run a guild that does anything. Running a guild well is a significant time and energy investment which I would only want to put in if the game was my main activity outside of work and sleep, not just a passing diversion. In general, because I don't have any particular vision for a guild, and when I have I was able to find an existing guild that fit what I wanted.

The question people should ask really isn't 'why am I not a GM?' but 'is there any reason for me to start a new guild instead of joining one?'. Creating a guild for no real reason leads to a lot of directionless guilds with a few members and monster guilds where putting together a group in /g is a worse bet than using trade or LFD.
Reply Quote
4 Undead Mage
Cuz 99.99% of all players aren't worth a damn to me and the game is more of a life wasting excercise although, to be fair, there is a buck ton of specious reasoning available to seemingly justify its existence.
Edited by Pyrettaßlaze on 2/18/2013 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I used to be the GM of a raiding guild.. I stepped down when the raiders wanted to go in a direction I could not follow and when Real life issues forced me to reduce my time spent in game.. It is not fair to retain the position of GM if you can not fully commit to the players and their goals, while I may have created the guild, it was the raiders and guild members that made the guild what it became, it was only fair to let them have a guild leader who could be there for them and shared in their goals. Since I could do neither at the time I stepped down and left the guild. I do not regret it.

One day I hope to go back to being a guild leader, but so far my real life does not leave me much time for a raiding guild and I doubt I would want run a 900+ member mega social guild.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I became a GM because I wanted to raid without the bull!@#$ politics, otherwise I wouldn't bother, GM is a lot of work for something I do for fun.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I don't have the drive to manage a guild. I did it briefly in WotLk from ToC-Cata launch; the job wasn't enjoyable at all. I like raid leading, have done that since Black Temple and still do it, but being a GM just does not fit my personality or desires.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
to put it simply... not everyone can be a GM.... if they could then there would be a hell of a lot of guilds and only GM and alts in them LOL.. But the reason I am not a GM is because I dont tolerate idiots to well. would take far to long to get the right type of members into a guild, so why not just join an existing guild with the right type of people and help out as much as I can?
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Monk
I had a horde guild for a little while. Got it to level 7 and stuff. Then the gm of my ally guild asked if they could be gm for awhile to adjust some things, so I said sure. I hardly ever play my horde toons so it didn't bother me for the time being. They were a good gm and I'd known them forever. Then the gm rage quit the game and gave my guild to some random person that was on at the time. They wouldn't give it back and I just ended up leaving.

But besides that, I don't really have the drive. I don't like being the leader. I could and will be if needed, but I don't set out to lead. I'd rather just be a guild officer.
Reply Quote
17 Draenei Shaman
Main Reason: To many guilds out there already and to much competition for raiders (my guild would be raiding). So unless I could figure a specifc market niche in regards to raid times - it will be a uphill battle to follow my guild vision.

Second Reason: Its a huge time committment and I think an unthankful job.

Third reason: I like the guild I am in - warts and all - yes my GL drives me a bit batty but I love the guild.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I was for quite a while - when our GM was on hiatus.

I couldn't wait to give it back. Raid Lead and Guild Lead are not my strongest points, and I don't have the needed time atm, either. I do much better as second in command/assistant.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
a buck ton

OK Chief i'm gonna need a definition of this before we allow it's use on the R&GL Forums :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The main reason I am not a GM on most alts, is because I found people on those alts that were already treating me like a good friend, so made the decision within myself, that close friends need to stick together, it made no sense that when I already have one guild on a server that I am in full control of, to do the same with all of my alts (though I do make sure on the servers I play most, that I do have a guild where I have a lot of authority, if not the GM itself to fall back onto), but the point is, that if there's already a group of people that I am good friends with, that I feel reasonably close to-even if only in an RP sense-that I would sooner stand by them, until they decide they want to let me go.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I think I have the personality traits to be a GM, as well as the organizational skills. However, I lack the applicational abilities and experience since I'm so painfully new to this game. It doesn't seem right to start my own guild, or to be a GM. For I am the new kid on the block, and there are people who are more qualified than me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Being a GM isn't something you get 'qualified' for. Either it's something you want to do, or it isn't. But if you have a guild that's already helping you, great.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/20/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Eliil
Being a GM isn't something you get 'qualified' for. Either it's something you want to do, or it isn't. But if you have a guild that's already helping you, great.

While in general, I would find this to be true. I don't think someone who hasn't even capped a character yet has any right to form a raiding guild. I may be decently versed in theory crafting, raid mechanics, and team work-- but I haven't done it. Not with any sort of seriousness anyways.

I've only been playing maybe 1.5 months in total now.
Edited by Naérdriel on 2/20/2013 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
4 Undead Mage
Good leaders dont make it look easy, its easy if youre a good leader. Very few of those types are in GM positions today.

Most GM's are really followers. Followers of an ideal set forth for them by their betters..who got it from someone else.

Thats not to say there arent some fine GMs out there, because there is and Im not discounting the substandard material with which theyre forced to work either with but there is no pressing urgency demanding its resolution so I dont really worry about it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/20/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Naérdriel
I think I have the personality traits to be a GM, as well as the organizational skills. However, I lack the applicational abilities and experience since I'm so painfully new to this game. It doesn't seem right to start my own guild, or to be a GM. For I am the new kid on the block, and there are people who are more qualified than me.

Just an FYI being new to the game does not mean you can not run a guild,, I joined my fi rst guild 2 months into starting the game in less than 3 weeks I was running the guild when the guild leader went MIA.. within 4 months of that I had formed my own casual raiding guild and we were raiding Kara and then raided all the way trhough ICC and Wrath.

I had no experience, it was not my goal to run a guild or make one.. I did such a good job with the leveling guild that 10 players who just hit max level and knew the leveling guild and it;'s now active guild leader had no plans in raiding, they came to me and asked me to run the guild... that is how I became a guild leader. I found I was good at it.

If you want to run a guild go ahead and do it.
Edited by Ssinfull on 2/20/2013 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]