MW: Jab mana cost increases

90 Human Monk
So are we supposed to only jab when we plan to use TP or BoK? It seems like they are making it even more ridiculous of a mana cost to be useful at all, relying only on the mana regen from TP or BOK to make it tolerable.

How the hell are we supposed to generate chi for uplift without Jab?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Looks like they just increased Jab to 6% mana.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I get it! Chi Torpedo is supposed to be our go to reliable AoE heal!! So how much longer til that costs chi?

On a serious note, obviously they don't want us to have on demand chi, and to have Uplift walled behind double rng.

Serious question, are disc priests able to switch between Atonement healing and normal healing at-will, without penalty? Because Monks will definately not be able to zealweave in 5.2 without paying some serious penalties at 18k mana Jabs.
Edited by Gyiatso on 2/19/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
02/19/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Tiriél

MMO also says they removed the 2% mana returns from Tiger Palm.

Who knows though? It's pretty freshly mined data and can always be wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/19/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Qùess

MMO also says they removed the 2% mana returns from Tiger Palm.

Who knows though? It's pretty freshly mined data and can always be wrong.

2% mana return has been moved to Muscle Memory instead of TP. It will now require a Jab to get that 2% mana back from TP, but they did add BoK for that as well.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
2% mana return has been moved to Muscle Memory instead of TP. It will now require a Jab to get that 2% mana back from TP, but they did add BoK for that as well.

Oh, thanks for clarifying!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
For the sake of not allowing Jab to trump both ReM/SM on chi generation or to have (god forbid) reliable chi generation, mixing the two healing styles in 5.2 won't just be awkward but inefficient.

They might as well make Jab generate a different resource. I won't use TP/BoK without MM, and I won't spend "Jab-chi" in any other way (except by emergencies) because I'd be wasting mana.

I get that they're just trying to "save" MWs from having to Jab for chi, but that's overkill.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/19/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Litchi
I get that they're just trying to "save" MWs from having to Jab for chi, but that's overkill.

If they would make other forms of Chi generation more reliable (and less costly), then people wouldn't Jab unless they wanted to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
This can only mean one thing....

TIME TO REROLL, JUMP SHIP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/19/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Tiriél
If they would make other forms of Chi generation more reliable (and less costly), then people wouldn't Jab unless they wanted to.

The problem lies on Jab, being a guideline for chi generation. It can't generate less, and it sure as hell won't generate more for MWs. All that they can do is equalize the other choices to generate as much, or go the other way around and equalize your Jab usage to match the choices through disincentive: a hefty mana cost.

I can't see why they can't solve it by stripping chi generation from ReM and giving SM a 100% chance per tick. You have one reliable source for both melee and ranged while not feeling you must mix them up.

Sure, it's boring-ish, but I take it over random/unreliable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
This can only mean one thing....

TIME TO REROLL, JUMP SHIP.

What's really odd is it's not like Mistweavers were rocking the charts like Disc or running with unlimited Mana like they did at the start of the x-pac. The devs never ending fixation on "balance" seems to be rearing it's ugly head again. Balance in this sense in how healers play not their throughput.

It seems like they didn't like Monks having choices in play style and spell usage. So now it's one single target Chi Heal, one AoE Chi Heal just like Pally's with WoG and LoD.

Bye bye Hadouken power heal. You'll be missed as one of the most viscerally fun spell mechanics they devs ever came up with.
Edited by Indyana on 2/19/2013 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
02/19/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Litchi
giving SM a 100% chance per tick.

They did this in beta and 100% per tick was entirely overkill. If the did a guaranteed tick every 2-3, it'd be more balanced.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/19/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Mist
They did this in beta and 100% per tick was entirely overkill. If the did a guaranteed tick every 2-3, it'd be more balanced.

I'd rather it gave 1 per tick after the first tick or something like that. So you at least have to be channeling for 2+ seconds in order to get 1 chi but then 1 chi per tick after that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
that's still a bit too powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I think it would be fine given how little soothing mists by itself heals for.

If anything, you could make it channel for a shorter duration, such as 5 seconds, at which point you will have generated 4 chi. You would then have to start channeling again to gain chi again. Really, the only situation where I would see it being too powerful is if you straight channeled it on one tank taking lots of damage where you can constantly drop EM on them.

This has been pretty much my only solution to making SoM a more reliable form of Chi generation. It doesn't give you immediate on demand chi like jab or ReM, but it's a stable way of generating it to ensure you have it when you need it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What was wrong with the 35% proc chance that we had for like 2 days after 5.1? It seemed to work great then.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/19/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Gyiatso
What was wrong with the 35% proc chance that we had for like 2 days after 5.1? It seemed to work great then.

I agree. It was a LOT less streaky. This, plus removal of the chi generation from Renewing, would be a decent enough solution until the class overhaul for the next xpac down the line.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/19/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Gyiatso

Still unreliable. I'd prefer 20% proc chance increasing by 15% per tick. It'd make soothing mist feel like a proper mana positive spell when between heavy damage periods.
Edited by Rakachu on 2/20/2013 1:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Jab now costs 8% of Base Mana, up from 6%.
Muscle Memory now restores 4% mana, up from 2%.

Well, now even the thought of using Jab without BoK or TP afterwards is so not practical that it's not even funny.

Seriously, I want to play a healing class, not a dps class with a side effect of mindless healing.

Edit:
Monk – In efforts to further discourage Jab, Jab, Uplift, we increased the mana cost of Jab from 6% to 8%, increased the mana restore on Muscle Memory from 2% to 4%, and increased the mana cost of glyphed Uplift to 16% mana. So that monks feel like they can be less reliant on Jab, Jab, Uplift, we also changed Soothing Mist to generate chi more consistently (to avoid long stretches of bad luck) and increased its generation rate overall.

*sigh* Paladin is almost level 86.
Edited by Superhero on 2/21/2013 9:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Monk – In efforts to further discourage Jab, Jab, Uplift, we increased the mana cost of Jab from 6% to 8%, increased the mana restore on Muscle Memory from 2% to 4%, and increased the mana cost of glyphed Uplift to 16% mana. So that monks feel like they can be less reliant on Jab, Jab, Uplift, we also changed Soothing Mist to generate chi more consistently (to avoid long stretches of bad luck) and increased its generation rate overall.

*sigh* Paladin is almost level 86.

I wonder if Blizzard is going to ever figure out that discouraging a certain style of play while either leaving other (less popular) forms of play alone or (in some cases) making them worse when they are not overpowered is usually a bad idea.

I mean, 8% mana cost Jab, in any circumstance at all. Really? That's moving Jab to "DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS EXCEPT FOR TP/BoK", and should come with that as a warning label. Is that supposed to be "fun"?
Edited by Thaimaishu on 2/21/2013 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]