Recording video mutes game sounds

90 Orc Warlock
I love the option to record without showing my UI (can't let fellow raiders see me clicking!), but that option seems to mute some game sounds. I've tested this on 32 bit and 64 bit, Live and PTR, Hackintosh and iMac. Among the sounds missing:

Ready check
DBM's pull timer
DBM's other timers (sha of fear breath etc.)
DBM's "warning" sounds (get out of fire)
Dungeon queue popping

And various others that I don't care as much about, like the metallic sound from opening different panes, like the character pane.

Some of these are pretty much required for raiding, and so I can't take vids without them. Any ideas on this?

Edit: For clarification, I'm talking about in-game sounds, so if I rely on DBM's sounds, then I might die because I'm recording.
Edited by Scootfree on 2/19/2013 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Just to be clear, we're talking about it mutes the game sounds during live play? What about the playback? Is there game sounds there?

Can you also provide system specs?

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm talking about sound during live play. Sound is coming out fine for "external" sound types. So emotes, mobs, music, spells, etc. are all working great. UI sounds (including blizzard UI) are the ones getting turned off. This only happens when "Record the User Interface" is unchecked and I am actively recording.

My guess about this is that UI sounds are being separated from external sounds because UI sounds make no sense if my GUI isn't being shown in the first place. The problem would be that those sounds, which have no purpose on a video that has no UI, are getting blocked before I hear them, instead of being heard by me and then not being recorded.

This problem also continues to exist when I choose to not record sound at all.

Here are my specs, I tried this on my imac, on PTR, on 32 bit...no change. I assume it is a universal problem.
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 20:33

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.50 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Graphics/Displays:

GeForce GTX 580:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 580
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1536 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1080
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 70.10.17.00.01
Displays:
TBD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: YU2012010001
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Hmm, mine doesn't mute dbm sounds.

Here are some videos i made for heroic sha on my mac specifically for showing how to use the dbm dread spray avoidance warnings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMJymHeg_JY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3sbempax4
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
This is only happening when I record using the option to not show my UI. Can you try that?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
ah, that i haven't tried.

curious also, are you playing dbm sounds through mastery audio channel (default) or is that unchecked and are they instead being played through SFX or (sound effects) channel? this could be relevant to seeing which sounds it mutes when interface is hidden.

this is in dbm options if you do /dbm then go to "options" tab at top next to "bosses" then choose "general options"
Edited by Omegal on 2/20/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I checked this out, and it does seem like when Record the User Interface option is selected, UI based sounds are not playing.

I'll check with the team to see if this is WAI.

EDIT: We're investigating this meow, as it doesn't seem to be WAI.
Edited by Machkhan on 2/20/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Tried with that DMB option, no change in behavior. Thanks for the idea, though, it has been too long since I've looked at that part of DBM. There were a few other things I wanted to change. Of course it is kinda moot now that it has been replicated at HQ.

lol@WAI, I can understand having bigger fish to fry and bigger bugs to squash, but this is certainly not WAI. ;)

Thanks to both of you and blessings upon the codesmith who figures it out. I look forward to seeing/making end game video without all the extra garbage.

EDIT: I just saw your edit, score!
Edited by Scootfree on 2/20/2013 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
02/20/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Scootfree
EDIT: I just saw your edit, score!

We don't want you to stand in fire ya know... If that happened in my raid, my raid leader would be more difficult to handle than the raid boss.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Was there ever any progress on this? I left around this time, but would consider coming back if things like this were cared about...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]