Rate me and add me (Blood DK)

90 Undead Death Knight
im a 480 ilvl blood tank feel free to rate me. give advice (how does my gemming/reforgeing/and enchanting look?) If you like what you see add me, looking for a tank spot in a 10man raid group. Thanks!
Edited by Struckdown on 2/20/2013 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
I would get to hit/expertise cap to allow for the increased dmg a blood dk can do, plus it negates your chance to miss a deathstrike which adds to your bubble and gives you your instant heal. Mastery would be the stat after that to get. You will monitor your cd's a bit more, but its not alot more and its not like you will be sustaining a lot of dmg because of your bubble. I suggest downloading reforge lite addon, choose the control dk build, but move up the hit/expertise to cap. Otherwise, id say your doing it right. See me if you are interested in more.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
My blood dk Niarweaver isn't far off from your gearscore, and she's dammed impossible to kill.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
We are looking for a tank for our second group if you can make raid days/times of Mon/Wed 8:30-11:30 EST.

If you would, just add me and hit me up in game and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Gearing for hit and exp isn't mandatory like it is for other classes, but I'd highly recommend going for the hit cap and leaving expertise cap until you get more gear as you'll be sacrificing too many stats for it.

The main reason you want to be hit capped is rune strike, it can't be dodged or parried but it can miss, which is terrible since our rune regen talents rely on rune strike (you can use death coil but it's just not as good)

Regardless of whether death strike hits or not, you still recieve the blood shield and the heal.

Dk tanking requires a bit more cooldown management as we take more damage than the other plate classes however our ability to heal it back quickly and at times for large amounts is what balances us out.

Your build looks fine, I'd swap out runic corruption for either of the other two as Runic Corruption provides more dps but less runes over the course of the fight which means less death strikes, at your gear level your main job is to survive and do whatever dps you can along the way, as you get the gear you can start working on your dps with stuff like expertise etc.

I would suggest dropping glyph of outbreak as the rp cost is fairly steep (you lose a rune strike) and because blood boil refreshes diseases now, you should be able to maintain 100% uptime with free blood boil/dnd procs so ideally you should only have to use outbreak once per fight, target swapping is covered by Roiling Blood to move your diseases freely for the most part.

For extra dps on multi-target boss fights, when you use Dancing Rune Weapon, re-apply your diseases, your DRW will apply an extra set of diseases (based on your hit chance, meaning just because yours hit, doesn't mean the DRW's will so watch for it) once you see two sets of your diseases on the target, hit pestilence as DRW will mimmick it and spread it's dots as well for extra dps and more aoe threat.

I would say go with runic empowerment, while it is very rng dependant it is also 100% passive where blood tap requires a bit of extra planning but offers more control as to when you get those extra runes.

as far as gemming/reforging goes it's pretty simple.
320 mastery gems for yellow sockets or undesirable socket bonuses.
120stam/160mastery for blue/green sockets
160parry/160 mastery or 160exp/160 mastery for orange/red sockets.

if the piece of gear doesn't have mastery on it, reforge the -highest- stat to mastery, many dk's will reforge out of the lower stat because it's something like hit/exp and while it keeps your avoidance slightly higher, mastery is the go to stat for dk's.

if the gear already has mastery, reforge it to hit or exp based on your desire for capping.
now for the tricky part, dodge and parry are different compared to cata, you want roughly 2.5x the amount of parry % as you want dodge.

There is a macro that tells you how much parry you want based on your dodge and your current runeforge.
With Swordshattering
/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 b=5.01 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then b=b+2 end p=235.5*d/90.6425-((235.5/90.6425)*b-n)+4 DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

Without Swordshattering
/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 b=5.01 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then b=b+2 end p=235.5*d/90.6425-((235.5/90.6425)*b-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

Copy and paste each of these into a created macro and a simple click of the macro will display the value you should be aiming for.

These macros were desgined by Reniat, I highly recommend reading his thread on DK tanking at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416264606

However should you not wish to, most of the info I have provided will get you started.

best of luck, should you have any further questions post here and I'll try to answer them as soon as I can.
Edited by Salloreon on 2/21/2013 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
sal, thats really in depth and an awesome post. Im going to look at it for mine as well. Bravo zulu!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]