Why do you play the race you do?

90 Undead Rogue
I don't think I've ever seen a post asking this, and i am legit curious why and how some people choose the races they do.

Me personally, i played a Nelf hunter until around level 40 when Shukir (undead rogue) killed me and camped me for about 3 hours, i thought it was the coolest thing in the #$^@ing world so i rerolled undead rogue and here i am still a few expansions later.

If you play it for the racial that's cool, or if you play it for RP reasons that's cool too feel free to tell me why. ;]
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
For Weilung, it's just a cultural thing. I like the way Blizzard's handled the Pandaren stuff; it's a lot better than I expected.

As for Matsu'jin and Elawo, though? I play them because trolls have pretty much always been my favorite race. Back in 1995, when I was like, 11 years old, I was pretty big into the Alliance. I remember playing LAN games with a friend of mine, and I was telling him I thought the Elvish archers were my favorite unit. And he explained, like, "Why would you ever play an elf with a bow, when you could be a troll who throws an axe? Why would you want a submarine when you could have a giant turtle with a rocket-launcher on its back?"

And that was pretty much it; I was hooked on trolls and the Horde after that conversation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
When I was little I watched the movie The Arrival and the aliens had backward-facing legs. It always stuck with me how cool they were. When I started playing WoW, the Draenei seemed amazingly graceful and not small like gnomes, hideous like dwarfs, puny like humans or butch like nelfs. They were strong and graceful with bad !@# legs, tails and horns. My first character was my warrior so it fit her perfectly. I've been obsessed ever since. I just wish they would have been horde! D:
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I've played several races, but the ones I love most are the Tauren (my first Horde race), because they are big, powerful, and just cool-looking. I've always liked 'minotaurs' so they were a big pull for me to try the Horde long ago.

Another one I'm fond of is goblins. They are just hilarious little balls of spunk. I once made this toon a goblin when I name-changed her to Jinglz. I didn't like gobbies at first but I just love them to death now. Many fond memories. And I LOVE the female gobby dance. ;-)

As for Pandas. Well I seem to be making them all of the time now. When I heard there would be Pandaren, I went nuts. I love Chinese lore. Some of my favorite animals are Giant Pandas & Red Pandas. I collect Teddy Bears, and my hubby Sparhoof calls me 'mama bear' all of the time.

So... it was fitting to make the change. The Pandaren fit me too well. :-)
Edited by Jinglz on 2/14/2013 1:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I originally rolled night elves (both Kella and Maurelm, my druid) because I thought their lore from WC3 was particularly rich and well done. They took dark elves, added some Gaeic nature worship, threw in some timelessness, and the result was just really fun to play. That and the Stormrage brothers were probably my favorite heroes from WC3. And I ain't gonna lie, shadowmeld is an extremely versatile ability, particularly for pvp.

....had I known at the time what Blizz was going to do to night elves over the last few expansions, I probably would have rolled dwarves instead.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I play archery in almost every game that has it.

I play an elf in every game that has it.

Back when I started in Vanilla, Night elves were the only elves available. Little over six years later and I'm still playing my first character.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I started playing during BC and rolled a blood elf because it's a common running joke that blood elf men are effeminate, gay, etc. If not that, they are definitely perceived as narcissistic, self-serving, full of themselves. It's a concept I've always liked and found hilarious. This warlock is more of a reflection of myself than any other toon I have. A lot of people think I am roleplaying-- but I don't do that. Not unless it's behind closed doors, anyway. ;)

Also, although I hate the way female blood elves cast, I love the way my male blood elf casts. I mean, I DO have to look at him all the time.

My other toons (tauren druid, troll shaman, Forsaken spriest, goblin rogue) are all the race/class they are for lore reasons. Druid was my FIRST class, and I love both the night elf and tauren lore. I love my troll because he's Jamaican.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/14/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Belmir
I love my troll because he's Jamaican.

That is one of the reasons my shaman was originally a troll, and why I LOVED RP'ing with her. I had the speaking down. ;-)
Reply Quote
troll race best race
Reply Quote
Originally this guy was a Tauren.

I was big into greek mythology and minotaurs always just seem so cool. Ironically it was the selling point a buddy of mine gave me to get me to play the game. All he had to do was tell me there were undead and i would have been in here like a dirty shirt.

I love Zombies.

Hell, all horror creatures I love. Werewolves always seemed awesome as well so when I moved here to Alliance for a friend, Worgen seemed the right way to go for my old Tauren.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Great stories, guys. Thanks for sharing! The very first character i ever actually made was a human mage...i just thought it was the most normal one so i went with human...no cool story bro's on that one haha.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Because if I'm going to stare at the bum of a character all day, it's going to be a sexy one.

EDIT: profanity
Edited by Cheetara on 2/17/2013 6:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm partial to n-elves. It didn't begin this way though, but my poor old computer couldn't handle the graphics when I started. I could not step foot inside a major city, or for that matter EK without crashing. I could only survive in n-elf land, and at that only as a hunter because while my computer would freeze my pet would defend me long enough to unfreeze.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I originally rolled night elves (both Kella and Maurelm, my druid) because I thought their lore from WC3 was particularly rich and well done. They took dark elves, added some Gaeic nature worship, threw in some timelessness, and the result was just really fun to play. That and the Stormrage brothers were probably my favorite heroes from WC3. And I ain't gonna lie, shadowmeld is an extremely versatile ability, particularly for pvp.

....had I known at the time what Blizz was going to do to night elves over the last few expansions, I probably would have rolled dwarves instead.

This is pretty much my story too. Loved the Night Elves in War3, couldn't wait to see where the story went in WoW.

*sigh.*
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
<-- Adorable!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

This is pretty much my story too. Loved the Night Elves in War3, couldn't wait to see where the story went in WoW.

*sigh.*

I liked the Kal'dorei a lot in WC3, but I can't stand them in WoW. I think it's the fact that in WC3, their society had these really interesting gender roles outlined, where the women were the priests and warriors, and the men were druids (aside from like, Illidan, I guess). I liked that. "Finally," I thought, "a society where women are leaders and warriors, and are as respected and honoured as men".

... and then I played WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When WoW was still in beta--but the forums were active--I was coming out of a 3.0 D&D game with a human ranger. I was going to take his concept and throw it in WoW. I figured he'd be from Stromgarde or something. Then I saw that humans couldn't be hunters and I

Then I replayed WC3, and noticed a few of the human soldiers dutifully carrying out Arthas' slaughter of Stratholme. I thought to myself, "what if someone survived that purge and headed south?"

And then, Bricu was born.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
For me, I was Horde all the way. Back in WC, I thought the Raider's were particular awesome, riding around on big wolves, swinging huge falchion looking swords. Basically the same with WC2, it wasn't til the third game that they went deeper into Orc culture. When I was young, my father watched a lot of Star Trek:TNG, and thus, so did I. Worf was always my favorite and I began seeing similarities between the two cultures. Plus, Blademaster's were awesome, I mean c'mon, Orc Samurai's.

As for my Trolls, Troll's are just awesome really, and I agree with Wei, Troll Berserker's > Elven Rangers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Do you want ...

a gnomish submarine OR a giant flesh-eating turtle with a rocket launcher strapped to its back?
a human mage OR the corpse of a fallen hero, infused with daemonic magiks?
a human paladin that can heal OR a giant, two-headed ogre that can cast Bloodlust?
a standard fantasy elf with a standard-issue fantasy bow OR a big green troll that hurls axes across the battlefield while quoting Scarface?

These do not seem like hard decisions to me.
Edited by Weilung on 2/20/2013 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Do you want ...

a superadvanced quickstrike submersible OR a lumbering turtle with a suicidal goblin?
a cranky, learned master of the arcane OR a Tolkien wraith knockoff?
a badass war veteran that heals and grants far sight OR a lumbering idiot that gets angry?

FIXED!

a standard fantasy elf with a standard-issue fantasy bow OR a big green troll that hurls axes across the battlefield while quoting Scarface?

Yeah I got nothing on that one, the troll berserkers were pretty rad. Throw 9 of them, fully upgraded, together into a group and watch 'em mow through everything in a flurry of axes and Al Pacino.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]