Why do you play the race you do?

90 Pandaren Warrior
As much as I liked Trolls, Elvish Archers absolutely crapped on them in gameplay, in my opinion. The Trolls got Regeneration at the end, which allowed them to slowly recover HP after a battle, but the Archers gained +3 to damage, instead, meaning they just hands-down defeated Trolls in most encounters.

Which sucks, because Trolls are crazy cool.

The Troll Witch Doctors in WC3 are probably my all-time favorite unit (unless we're also counting Hero Units, in which case Rok'han).
Edited by Weilung on 2/21/2013 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Haha the arguments about which side has cooler 'stuffs' is the epitomy of the flavor behind Red vs. Blue in this game.

'Anything you can do I can do better... I can do anything better than you. No you can't - yes I can! No you can't - yes I can!'

Yep, each side has its polar opposites. But which is better is relative. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I still think nelfs are pretty neat. I've always loved the concept of the Sentinels. I secretly wish I could be one, sometimes. But starting out as a nelf originally long ago leaves a soft spot for me!
Edited by Jinglz on 2/21/2013 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
My favorite race is night elf (shadowmeld is the !@#$) sadly being called the horde the best I can do for my beloved druid is make her a troll.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Long before I started WoW I played Everquest Online Adventures on the PS 2. Troll Shaman.

I wanted to role one on WoW til I discovered that I wouldn't be able to level with a friend who turned me on to it. So I did a bit of research and found out that priest were good healers and since I've had a secret love for the elven types I went with that. Celebin was my first character and although I've kept him at level cap I never really play him much anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I always loved gauntlet at the arcade and when I got gauntlet legends for the N64 it was like a dream come true that I didn't have to keep begging my mom for quarters so I wouldn't die. I always played the red warrior and in the first zone you could upgrade the warrior to the Minotaur. Because of this I always favored the Tauren chieftain hero in WC3 and choosing a Tauren warrior in WoW was a given.

Torage was the first character I made and his name comes from an MMORPG I played before WoW called RuneScape. The character is named Torag and I just added an "e" to make it my own and because To + Rage was a perfect warrior name.

The personality of Tor (for those of you that have encountered the character) is from my friends self made pen and paper RPG called Knight's World where they let your character take negative traits to gain stat bonuses. So I took as many as I could to get more strength of course! These traits where randomly generated from a table and included anger issues and stupidity... hilarity ensued.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Oh gosh I love pen and paper games. I sadly had a chance to play zero of them. But I watched a few games, and I LOVE the strategy guides and encounters. I actually got my start on MUDs as far as 'MMO's are concerned. But I still pine after pen and paper.

Oh gosh, Gauntlet. That takes me back. My first 'RPG' game was Bard's Tale I think, on the Apple computer (good 'ol 4" floppy disks), though I remember one other that I can't for the life of me recall the name of.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
02/27/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Jinglz
one other that I can't for the life of me recall the name of.

I asssssuuume you'd recall Ultima or the AD&D Gold Box games... Phantasie maybe? Wizardry? Questron?

Man, Bard's Tale III was awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Curse of the Azure bonds.
Reply Quote
Do you want ...

a gnomish submarine OR a giant flesh-eating turtle with a rocket launcher strapped to its back?
a human mage OR the corpse of a fallen hero, infused with daemonic magiks?
a human paladin that can heal OR a giant, two-headed ogre that can cast Bloodlust?
a standard fantasy elf with a standard-issue fantasy bow OR a big green troll that hurls axes across the battlefield while quoting Scarface?

These do not seem like hard decisions to me.

QFMFT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
one other that I can't for the life of me recall the name of.

I asssssuuume you'd recall Ultima or the AD&D Gold Box games... Phantasie maybe? Wizardry? Questron?

Man, Bard's Tale III was awesome.

I can't remember at all. I even tried looking it up. I loved it though - good memories. :-)
Edited by Jinglz on 2/28/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Well. Pandas are cute, and I like their jokes. I like the backstory, too. I know a lot of RPers frown on race changing. But I also really like the Draenei for their back story, general attitude and emotes.

I started as a Tauren, so I guess generally peaceable sorts appeal to me.

Personally, I found the two factions have different flavors of fantasy. Alliance tends to be more traditional high fantasy Elf vs Dragon sort of stuff. Not quite as innovative, but it's a good formula to go with for a lot of games. Horde seems more down to earth and exotic type fantasy. Y'know, the troll flinging axes and what have you. I find plenty of folks enjoy both.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This has been something I've thought about for some time, and I'm glad this topic was started. Definitely a lot of good stories here!

For my character, it was a mix between the race and the class. I originally played as a human ret paladin back in the vanilla wow days. I always saw the Horde as a threatening menace and the enemy, since traditionally in these genres we associate orcs, trolls, etc = the bad guys, and humans / elves as the good guys. As I grew older, I eventually read into the Horde's backstory, and found quite the opposite. At the time, Paladins only belonged to the Alliance. It wasn't until BC that I saw Blood Elves as my chance to go Horde.

As I leveled this character, I saw many of the stereotypes associated with Blood Elves: the narcissistic, scheming, and power hungry types behind the lore, but another side as well: a desire to take risks, and seek higher challenges, as a way to gain a place among the Horde. I found that as a Ret / Holy I was always challenging myself to solo more mobs in a single pull, fight elites alone in quests that were supposed to be group based, and fight other players geared or at a higher level than me. I always felt the direct correlation towards how my character as a Blood Elf Paladin would always be, and myself.

As my understanding of the Lore behind the Blood Elves goes, they were nearly wiped out by the Scourge, and were betrayed by their leader. I find it admirable that despite their hardships, they were able to reconstruct their capital city of Silvermoon and establish themselves as a thriving race amongst the ranks of the Horde.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]