The Warlock

90 Draenei Shaman
Literally the only tanking ability they added was the Glyph of DA. A glyph. So it's more like a bonus to just mess around with than anything else.

Anyways, it's not really healthy for the game to keep adding tank and healing specs just for the sake of it. The addition of a new class every 2 expansions already screws everything up. How do they deal with the pet? How do they make Cloth gear that is more useful than just one spec in the game? How do they balance a caster with all the other melee tanks?

Not to mention by giving Warlocks a 4th spec, that opens the gate to the other pures wanting heals and tanking too. It's just a big slippery slope for something that isn't really that widely desired nor is it necessary. If you want a tank that uses dots, pets, etc, then roll a death knight. That's what they were made for.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Literally the only tanking ability they added was the Glyph of DA. A glyph. So it's more like a bonus to just mess around with than anything else.

Anyways, it's not really healthy for the game to keep adding tank and healing specs just for the sake of it. The addition of a new class every 2 expansions already screws everything up. How do they deal with the pet? How do they make Cloth gear that is more useful than just one spec in the game? How do they balance a caster with all the other melee tanks?

Not to mention by giving Warlocks a 4th spec, that opens the gate to the other pures wanting heals and tanking too. It's just a big slippery slope for something that isn't really that widely desired nor is it necessary. If you want a tank that uses dots, pets, etc, then roll a death knight. That's what they were made for.

Agreed
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
ya, the whole lore argument is pretty weak imo. That and the whole "clothies can't tank" argument are getting really old.

It's great if you don't want to tank, don't. But there are some of us who love tanking, and have a tank of every class and are looking for a new experience, and think that warlocks should be next. We're super close, and it makes sense.

The whole idea of being a pure dps class is kinda ridiculous, as there are literally no perks to it at all. I could see if all pure classes where slightly stronger than the rest, or if pure classes has some other sort of perks, but as it is being a pure class is crap imo. Simply means we're doomed to live our entire lives waiting on hour long ques for everything.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ya, the whole lore argument is pretty weak imo. That and the whole "clothies can't tank" argument are getting really old.

It's great if you don't want to tank, don't. But there are some of us who love tanking, and have a tank of every class and are looking for a new experience, and think that warlocks should be next. We're super close, and it makes sense.

The whole idea of being a pure dps class is kinda ridiculous, as there are literally no perks to it at all. I could see if all pure classes where slightly stronger than the rest, or if pure classes has some other sort of perks, but as it is being a pure class is crap imo. Simply means we're doomed to live our entire lives waiting on hour long ques for everything.

The game has enough tanks as it is. For those of you that love tanking...then tank...don't make every class a tank class.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/16/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Aerae
How do they deal with the pet? How do they make Cloth gear that is more useful than just one spec in the game?

Sac the pet for stam and voidwalker's last stand thingy.

As for gear, probably the same way that rogues, kitties, bears, windwalkers, and brewmasters all use the same drops.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Warlock tanks? No.

No.

And no.

Don't come on MY forums and try to push your radical agenda.

The only reason someone would feasibly say something like this is because they're whiny babies, concerned that their raid leader might to ask them to tank (omg hard!) instead of letting them stay in the lower-skill role of a tunnel-visioning, fire-standing derps per second.

02/16/2013 09:11 AMPosted by Kruil
I'm also against Warlock tanks for the fact that the lore doesn't support it.

Fact, you say?

Here's another fact: Warlocks can turn into demons. There's certainly no possibility that a big, burly demon would ever make sense in a tank role...

And yet another fact: "Lore" is something Blizzard writes and changes as the game evolves.

- - -

So I say this: "Move forward -- support warlocks as future tanks today!"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The only reason someone would feasibly say something like this is because they're whiny babies, concerned that their raid leader might to ask them to tank (omg hard!) instead of letting them stay in the lower-skill role of a tunnel-visioning, fire-standing derps per second.

02/16/2013 09:11 AMPosted by Kruil
I'm also against Warlock tanks for the fact that the lore doesn't support it.

Fact, you say?

Here's another fact: Warlocks can turn into demons. There's certainly no possibility that a big, burly demon would ever make sense in a tank role...

And yet another fact: "Lore" is something Blizzard writes and changes as the game evolves.

- - -

So I say this: "Move forward -- support warlocks as future tanks today!"

This should be a good response :

02/16/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Kruil
The game has enough tanks as it is. For those of you that love tanking...then tank...don't make every class a tank class.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Don't forget to mention about the skill-less tanks that don't use Shroud of Reversal or Nullification Barrier on Feng. But if you only do lfr, then it doesn't take much skill.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/14/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Epicherøic
So much fail in this forum I hope a blue comes by and smites it out of existence. Warlocks "hopeless" in pvp at max level? Duuumb

Careful sir, responding to an exaggerated question with an insult is the prelude to an intrawebz war. and then blizz really needs to drop a nuke in this thread, cause then there's nothing redeeming about it.

But seriously, warlocks are still paying for their sl/sl opness back in BC. it's been 3 xpacks blizz, let it go.

Also, just putting it out there. You're a destro lock stacking pvp power with blood fear, grim of sac, and kjc. You're on the wrong forum, you're looking for the mage forum. Which we'll all soon be looking for because blizz wants us to be mages. Trying to play aff, demo, or not use KJC/grim of sac in pvp is just punishable by getting wtfpwned.
Edited by Demonwizard on 2/16/2013 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Oops, missed this one:

02/16/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Aerae
Anyways, it's not really healthy for the game to keep adding tank and healing specs just for the sake of it.

How about the fact that, in most cases, tank is the most in-demand role in the game? Tanks enjoy instant queues, whereas healers usually have to wait at least a few minutes. And DPS? Yeah, 30+ minutes is not uncommon.

How do they deal with the pet?

There's so many possible ways to handle that. Here's just a few:

1) Remove the ability to summon entirely.

2) Temporary summons on a cooldown: Treat them like death knight ghouls, monk's xuen, etc.

3) Keep as permanent pets, but remove voidwalker/felguard's bonus threat gen ability. Any damage they do is redirected to the warlock.

...and so on. Just need to be even a little bit creative.

How do they make Cloth gear that is more useful than just one spec in the game?

In the past, how did they do that with druids, given that they were the only leather tanks in the game? How do both monk and druid tanks + leather gear work right now? Easy answer: Share gear with the dps casters, or maybe even tie spirit into it somehow, as spirit cloth is not as in-demand as spirit-less cloth.

How do they balance a caster with all the other melee tanks?

I'd imagine many of the critical attack and defense abilities would have to "morph" into pseudo-physical abilities--as in, not affected by silence. Currently, death knight tanks have quite a bit of "spell" attacks that can be shut out by silences.

Not to mention by giving Warlocks a 4th spec, that opens the gate to the other pures wanting heals and tanking too.

Honestly, why not? All it does is open new doors for pure classes which, at the moment, are stuck in just a single role. Who says they even need to make it a 4th spec? It seems like Blizzard never properly balances the 3 dps trees, so one is always underwhelming compared to the other two. Many (maybe most?) people just look up what the "best" dps spec is and roll with that anyway.

It's just a big slippery slope for something that isn't really that widely desired nor is it necessary.

The necessity could be argued (see the lack of current tanks in queues for an example), but more importantly, who are speaking for? "Isn't really that widely desired?" The fact that I can come to this forum and nearly always find something about warlock tanks on the first page suggests otherwise.

If you want a tank that uses dots, pets, etc, then roll a death knight. That's what they were made for.

But death knights don't turn into demons, aren't ranged dps in their other specs, can't choose their pets, and...well they really don't use the same set of abilities at all, now do they? Weak argument.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
This should be a good response :

Not really. All I needed to do was open the dungeon finder to get my response, rofl:

http://i.imgur.com/iVVMyZs.png

"Enough tanks as it is" indeed. Why would someone not want to add another role to a class? It's not like you'd have to play a warlock tank if you didn't want to...

How often is that LFD call to arms indicator lit up for DPS?

02/16/2013 03:28 PMPosted by Kruil
Don't forget to mention about the skill-less tanks that don't use Shroud of Reversal or Nullification Barrier on Feng. But if you only do lfr, then it doesn't take much skill.

All that does is reinforce my point that it's easier to DPS than it is to tank, ergo the only reason I can think of that someone wouldn't want a role added to their class is because they don't want their raid leader to "force" (rofl) them to play that role. :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Aesica you are a Monk. Get out of the Warlock forums.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
All that does is reinforce my point that it's easier to DPS than it is to tank, ergo the only reason I can think of that someone wouldn't want a role added to their class is because they don't want their raid leader to "force" (rofl) them to play that role. :D

Now you are making an assumption. And you know what the say about "assume". It has nothing to do with being "forced" to tank, it has to do with the fact I like my class being different then hybrids. If all classes can heal, tank, and dps then it loses that uniqueness that classes bring.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/16/2013 03:54 PMPosted by Kruil

Has it occurred to you that maybe I have a warlock too, and that I can't be bothered to switch characters every time I want to post in a class-specific forum?

My main has been a warlock since vanilla, FYI. :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/16/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Aesica
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Aesica has some very good points. Demon locks could have their mastery changed to dodge, or spirit = dodge like some other casters have spirit = hit. I would love being a tank. It'd be like my assassin on SWTOR tanking. Asfor the naysayers saying that everyone having a heal or tank spec would ruin the game, look at SWTOR. 6 out of 8 classes have a tank or heal spec and it still has the same problem with most people wanting to be dps. Warlocks tanking would be a good thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]