Processors

90 Tauren Druid
I am looking to get a new one so that I can stream. What should I look for in one? I have seen some that are close together, like 3.4 Ghz to 3.6....but are way diff in price terms.

Any tips on what to actually look for when looking at them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Personally i ask someone i know what they've used that works. That order is correct as far as gaming, but your price point is most likely going to be the deciding factor. Intel does make better higher end CPU's than AMD but that also comes with a price.

I built my desktop about 4 months ago and picked up the AMD FX-8150 8 core and overclocked it to 4.6 ghz with no problems (something AMD's are pretty good for). So far I've had no problems with any games including the most recent stuff like bf3, far cry 3, planetside 2, etc.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if you want the best possible processor and money isn't an issue then go with an I7, but if you buy AMD you shouldn't notice much of a difference and you save a few hundred bucks. Mine was about $160 if I remember correctly. And check what socket your motherboard has or it won't work. Mine required an AM3+ socket and was fairly cheap, I believe around $130.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
are you looking to replace the cpu in a current build? the processor # needs to match the motherboard socket #. for instance my first computer ever used socket 754 and the processor had 754 pins on the bottom of it.

nowadays, the pins tend to be built into the motherboard not the processor. however, ive had a socket 939 processor, lga 775, and an lga 1155 cpu (my current one).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]