Step/Burst of Speed Macro

100 Gnome Rogue
I was wondering if there is a way to make a macro that would do shadowstep when specced for it, and then if you switch talents to burst of speed that same macro would cast burst of speed. I know you can do things like /cast [spec:1], so the macro changes with spec, but I dont know if they implemented a way in which to specify talents in the argument when 5.0 came out, so that the macro changes with talents.
Edited by Newkie on 2/17/2013 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I actually have no idea as to why you would need to do this, but I am really curious why you want to make this macro? Especially since you can drag skills straight of the talent tree page.

Not a snoody question, I'm actually looking for ways to improve my rogue play.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Rogue
Couldn't you just make a macro that tried to cast both, and it would only cast the one that were actually able to?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
well sometimes i switch talents against a certain comp in arena, and most of keybinds have shift mods attached to them. So like my current step macro is basically like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Redirect; Shadowstep

then i want to change my talent to Burst of Speed against a certain comp so i have annother macro that is

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Redirect; Burst of Speed

So when i change talents i have to switch this macro and a couple other ones. I also plan on testing out Marked for Death and I would like for when i change back and forth from Shuriken Toss to Marked for Death to not have to move an entirely different macro into its place every time i swap talents. I just want to switch my talent depending on what I am doing and have the macro change depending on what talent i am specced into. It could read somethingn like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] redirect; [talent:4,2] Shadowstep; [talent:4,3] Burst of Speed

where 4 is the row and 2,3 are the columns in this particular case.

@Vege

Something like

#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed

Doesn't work if specced step it will cast it, and if specced burst of speed it sees the shadowstep line and then terminates because you dont actually "know" the spell, it wont just pass it over.

Anyways I only have a few macros like this that I wish would change based on my talents, it just seems to me and especially for other classes with more of these kinds of choices within their tree to add in a [talent] argument into the game. Like a warrior might want to include ones that will change to Bladestorm, Dragon' Roar and Shockwave depending on which one they are specced for.
Edited by Newkie on 2/17/2013 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Maybe something with cast sequence in it? I'm not sure being that I'm not much of a macro-er myself.

Though I DO know that macros right now do not interact with the talent system in terms of individual talents, the reason being is blizzard didn't want to automate talent switching. Without automation to talent switching, there's no way to "Cast talent in X tier" with one macro
Reply Quote
#showtooltip
/cast shadowstep
/cast burst of speed
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Castsequence won't work because they will not progress to the next ability in the list until the first one is used, even if you do not know the first ability it will still wait there for you to use it (you can actually use this to create an anti-spam macro to avoid doing things like using a low cp evis after a 5p evis by using castsequence with some non-existent ability after eviscerate and a 1 or 2 second reset condition, so you can spam it until it uses evis and then it'll essentially lock itself out until you let it go for a sec or two).

Just putting both abilities in the same macro like Rainymood suggests will work in this case, but only because they're not both on the gcd, if they were both on the gcd then the game would only attempt to use the first one and never even attempt to use the second. Though the #showtooltip in Rainymood's macro won't work properly, it'll always attempt to show shadowstep's icon/tooltip even if you're talented into BoS (it'll just show the ? icon).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
/cast shadowstep
/cast burst of speed

This is the one I use and I never get an error it seems to work fine for me =)
Edited by Zhào on 2/18/2013 9:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Hmm i will have to try it again i didnt think

#showtooltip
/cast shadowstep
/cast burst of speed

woould work but it does dont i feel stupid. but still as pancake says its kind of a special case
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed
/script m_ds=GetSpellInfo(36554); m_h=GetSpellInfo(108212)
/run SetMacroSpell("60t", GetSpellInfo(m_c) or GetSpellInfo(m_ds) or GetSpellInfo(m_h))
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed
/run SetMacroSpell("60t", GetSpellInfo(m_c) or GetSpellInfo(m_ds) or GetSpellInfo(m_h))

Keep in mind you have to spell the macro name to whatever you called it in the script, in this case 60t.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed

Keep in mind you have to spell the macro name to whatever you called it in the script, in this case 60t.

Keep in mind he just necrod da s*** out of this. But its nice at least he's answering a question instead of just bringing back an old topic.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I would suggest this mod

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/talentmacros

it will make a macro for the tier and it automatically updates to whatever talent you currently have
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed
/run SetMacroSpell("NAMEOFMACRO", GetSpellInfo(m_c) or GetSpellInfo(m_ds) or GetSpellInfo(m_h))

Excellent, works great for my rogue, chane NAMEOFMACRO to the name of the macro.
Edited by Bubblebobble on 8/11/2015 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
holy double necro! please pay attention to the date on threads.

also,

#showtooltip
/use [talent:4/2]Shadowstep;Burst of Speed
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
02/18/2013 05:49 AMPosted by Rainymood
#showtooltip
/cast shadowstep
/cast burst of speed

^ it's just this.
It's literally not any more complicated than this. You're putting way too much thought into it.

You can even add focus modifiers and party 1 party 2 modifiers and it won't hurt the burst of speed functionality.

#showtooltip preparation
/cast [mod:shift, target=focus] [mod:ctrl, target=party1] [mod:alt, target=party2] [ ] Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed
/cancelaura Death from Above

That's mine. The cancelaura doesn't work anymore. You wouldn't believe the shadowsteps i got with that ^_^

if you're bored

/run ToggleSheath()

does what it says
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
This one does work.
#showtooltip
/cast Shadowstep
/cast Burst of Speed
/run SetMacroSpell("NAMEOFMACRO", GetSpellInfo(m_c) or GetSpellInfo(m_ds) or GetSpellInfo(m_h))

I have no idea why, but the simplified version doesn't work for me either:
#showtooltip
/cast shadowstep
/cast burst of speed

I do suggest however to remove the part at the end, or you'll just get error messages when you press the macro, even though it will do as intended.

This part "/run SetMacroSpell("60t", GetSpellInfo(m_c) or GetSpellInfo(m_ds) or GetSpellInfo(m_h))"
Edited by Ermåc on 7/12/2016 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
seriously a 2013 thread
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]