SFK solo - futile?

40 Human Paladin
OK, so I've done Deadmines solo with no problem, and I don't have any problem getting to the end of Shadowfang Keep, either. But Lord Godfrey's a mean motorscooter - he just chews me up in no time at all. Any advice on how to whoop him, or should I just give it up as a bad job?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
02/18/2013 05:45 AMPosted by Menschenhass
Any advice on how to whoop him

Yep, try again in after you've gained another 10-20 levels. Depending on your class & spec, you often have to out-level a dungeon by quite a lot before you can solo it safely.
Reply Quote
Yep, try again in after you've gained another 10-20 levels. Depending on your class & spec, you often have to out-level a dungeon by quite a lot before you can solo it safely.

This.

As stated, some mechanics have this kind of effect on ability to solo encounters. Of course, since you're deriving no real benefit if you're not grouping to do a dungeon at level, it hardly matters if you do it fifteen levels after you should or fifty. Lots of folks solo lowbie dungeons at significantly above level for pets, achievements, or mounts, or for gear that they can transmog. Since it isn't giving you experience or gear you can equip, the level gap is relatively meaningless.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
The main thing with Godfrey is to get out of the way when he's channeling Pistol Barrage, and try to interrupt or cleanse Cursed Bullets. Since paladins can't remove curses, you'll need to save Avenger's Shield for interrupting him, and in a couple more levels you'll get Rebuke; I forget whether or not Hammer of Justice can be used on him too (won't stun him, but I think it'll interrupt). Right after he summons ghouls, he'll do Pistol Barrage, so be ready to get behind him. Holy Wrath, Consecration, and his attack should take out the ghouls easily.

Prot pallies have an easier time soloing content before outleveling it, but some encounters like Godfrey require more practice with the timing and abilities before they can be mastered.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Eh, soloing at that level is rough. You just don't have all the abilities you need yet. It's not the best experience either - unless you're doing it just for kicks, I'd recommend getting back to questing and LFD.
Reply Quote
40 Human Paladin
Thanks, Drewb. Last time I did manage to get behind his Pistol Barrage just fair, not great; but I didn't realize Avenger Shield could interrupt his Cursed Bullets, so I wasted it on the ghouls (still gunshy from Admiral Ripsnarl's Vapors, I guess!).

The big thing, though, is the marked contrast between Godfrey and the rest of the dungeon mobs, bosses included. I got into a nice comfortable groove with them, but they all sorta lulled me to sleep, almost disappointingly, whereas Godfrey didn't respond at all to my groove and let me have it with both barrels 8D. Ah, but it's great practice, and I'm learning ... yass ... I'm learning!
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Paladin
You might want to see how Holy Spec works. I'll try soloing it myself sometime on this trial character.

Holy seems to have almost unlimited healing... I killed a lvl 57 monster with this lvl 20 toon (With as much +hit gear as I could find).

It might be harder to deal with the little ghouls as holy though. but at your level you should have more options than I do.

I'll try it myself and see how it goes.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/18/2013 06:59 PMPosted by Glaladarm
It might be harder to deal with the little ghouls as holy though. but at your level you should have more options than I do.

Holy doesn't gets any aoe damage until the level 90 talents (which are weak damage abilities and mainly used for aoe heals) so you'd have to tackle the ghouls one by one. Could still be do-able though.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Paladin
Tried it out tonight. It is rough. I can last a long time but eventually the ghouls overwhelm me. Most of Lord Godfrey's abilities can be avoided with line of sight or by simply walking through him when he starts to cast. I did clear everything else in the dungeon though. woot for lvl 20 twinking!

I might want to give it another try or two, but my equipment is starting to get messed up after a few deaths against him.

If only there where some cross-builds (like you could do in Vanilla WoW) I'm sure I could do it. If I had Hammer of Justice rather than Denounce, it would be much easier. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
02/21/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Glaladarm
If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

you could try replacing the white vendor items you're wearing with items which have stats.. you'd live longer, hit harder, and be able to heal more.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Paladin
After a few more attempts i think there is a way to do it. Godfray's own Pistol barrage will kill his own Ghoul minions! The trick is getting in the path without killing yourself. I'll give this another try tomorrow.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Paladin
02/22/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Nobully
If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

you could try replacing the white vendor items you're wearing with items which have stats.. you'd live longer, hit harder, and be able to heal more.

I'll take that as a joke coming from the pink bunny. I happen to really like the look of the armor from the BE starter zone, so I use it most of the time when I'm not battling. It is too bad Bliz didn't make these items available for transmod.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
02/22/2013 01:51 AMPosted by Glaladarm
I'll take that as a joke coming from the pink bunny.

...the rabbit is deadly serious.

If you want to live longer, wear gear which will help you to do that.
Reply Quote
40 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Glaladarm
Tried it out tonight. It is rough.

Wow - I'm impressed that you're even trying it solo at lvl 20 ...!

Even at 36, I'm still dying like snow in August. I'm having trouble timing Avenger's Shield to interrupt Cursed Bullets (it's like a one-second interval!), and I can't evade him long enough for the Mortal Wound stack to fall off. I'd be OK, I think, if I could heal myself at something near normal power, but it ain't happenin' yet.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Wow - I'm impressed that you're even trying it solo at lvl 20 ...!Even at 36, I'm still dying like snow in August. I'm having trouble timing Avenger's Shield to interrupt Cursed Bullets (it's like a one-second interval!), and I can't evade him long enough for the Mortal Wound stack to fall off. I'd be OK, I think, if I could heal myself at something near normal power, but it ain't happenin' yet.

The timing of cursed bullets is very predictable, once immdiately after pistol barrage and I think exactly 10 or 15 seconds after that. Once you get in the habit of seeing the pattern you should be ok with getting them all.

For mortal wound I would recommend tanking him on one side of the room, when he starts casting pistol barrage run to the other side to give the debuff time to fall off, should be plenty of time. Just make sure you are still in line of sight to interrupt his cursed bullets with your avenger's shield
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Hunter
I tried it right now (on this hunter), using my death knight to facepull everything up to Godfrey.

For the fight itself:

-Used my Ravager pet at the beginning, and kited Godrey with Swiftness Potions + Disengage + Posthaste. I was able to move myself and my pet out of the Pistol Barrage very easily. Then he summoned Ghouls, and soon afterwards my Ravager died.

- Switched to my Bear, which managed to get aggro from Godfrey. Then I wiped out the Ghouls, from which point onwards it was smooth sailing, and I got the kill.

It was a nice fight and took a few attempts to nail down.

Edit: I found a video of a level 20 restoration shaman soloing him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoIoYSEcURI
Edited by Ayrithialya on 2/22/2013 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
40 Human Paladin
02/22/2013 08:45 AMPosted by Cuddles
For mortal wound I would recommend tanking him on one side of the room, when he starts casting pistol barrage run to the other side to give the debuff time to fall off, should be plenty of time.

Yeah, one mistake I've been making is to fight him on his platform. I need to pull him down the stairs where I've got a little more wiggle room. I'll give 'er another go pretty soon ... Thanks for all your advice, folks!
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Hunter
back in cata i was on my lowbie, had this 85 help out. just as he got to last boss *big !@# train on the other end* he died. - pointing it out because its possable to die as 85 *grins*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]