Best class for world PvP

90 Human Mage
Which is the bet world PvP class? This includes more than running around and getting the first hit in. For example, which class does the best when it doesn't get in the first hit?

Ret paladin seems to be a contender, but I don't know.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Entirely dependent on which class gets the first hit in. Paladins are the most resilient to an ambush due to bubble I suppose but it can be removed by priests/warriors. Rogues can obviously reset any fight (provided CoS/Vanish are both up typically). Mages/Hunters are good at creating space if opened on by melee, Locks to a lesser extent if prepared.

Overall I'd say hunters are probably the best open world PvP class due to flexibility in various situations.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Strictly for world PvP? Rogues, hands down. I'm not saying a rogue is amazing in PvP before anyone gets mad at me, but rogues get to pick and choose in world PvP. Get ganked? Vanish and bugger off. If you come up on someone and they're better geared than you? Ignore them. You're in stealth, there's nothing they are going to do to you. You can just wait until someone does something that weakens their position then open.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Pyrotato
90 Human Mage
Odyssey

Strictly for world PvP? Rogues, hands down. I'm not saying a rogue is amazing in PvP before anyone gets mad at me, but rogues get to pick and choose in world PvP. Get ganked? Vanish and bugger off. If you come up on someone and they're better geared than you? Ignore them. You're in stealth, there's nothing they are going to do to you. You can just wait until someone does something that weakens their position then open

i can do this just as easily.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
moonkin or hunter
Reply Quote
Play a ranged class for world pvp. You're welcome.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Druid, you can never, ever die in world PvP unless you die in a stun or don't use your abilities.

Following that, hunter. Effectively unlimited ranged usually without dedicated healers make hunters some tough cookies.

I'd probably say mage after that for all their control and escapability. Polymorph gives you ample time to mount or flee a good distance to reset a fight.

What really matters is the ability to keep yourself alive as long as possible. It doesn't matter how much damage you do if you die in 3 seconds (DKs being a very poor choice for world PvP). You need to be able to create space, regenerate cooldowns and resources, reset, and heal.

For example, I've had multiple situations over the years where I get ambushed by someone while questing or gathering, come out of their opening cooldowns with less than 20% hp, escape, CC, and slowly heal myself up, turn the fight around and win.
It's possible to go full recover on most classes, my experience this xpac coming with mostly monk and some warrior, but I also have pretty extensive experience on my mage, hunter, rogue, shaman, and paladin (All have reached 2k in one bracket or another), and what really matters is how you handle your CDs vs theirs.

In the end, though, the classes I mentioned above definitely have a massive advantage in a world PvP environment.
Edited by Falcrest on 2/21/2013 3:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
There is no world pvp just ganking
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
02/21/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Xenocider
There is no world pvp just ganking

Well that's just entirely untrue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
any class with stealth

being able to pick and choose encounters is invaluable in world pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
hunter > rogue > mage > spriest > shockadins
Edited by Jkspiritlink on 2/21/2013 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
hunter = druid > mage > rogue > spriest > shockadins
Edited by Falcrest on 2/21/2013 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/21/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Falcrest

boomkin or feral? mage / rogue / spriest / hpally should all be able to handle a boomkin... mage rogue might struggle against feral, but not entirely impossible..

and both feral & boomkin have much less of a chance at escaping if this wpvp situation goes from fair 1v1 fight into "oh crap they just showed up with half their guild and i need to rocket boots/goblin glider outta here"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
a good feral will bleed you to death, they can methodically take you down over time, or right away if they want to pop cds. also lots of utility.

against some classes yes.... but others... no....

i doubt even the worlds best feral would be able to bleed kite a shockadin to death.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
well if I had to pick one class, definitely hunter. they have the kit to deal with healers or dps.

and the escapes to get out of dodge when they decide to zerg you.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest

boomkin or feral? mage / rogue / spriest / hpally should all be able to handle a boomkin... mage rogue might struggle against feral, but not entirely impossible..

and both feral & boomkin have much less of a chance at escaping if this wpvp situation goes from fair 1v1 fight into "oh crap they just showed up with half their guild and i need to rocket boots/goblin glider outta here"

Feral generally. There is no better escape in world PvP than flight form. Root - dash - flight form in 5 seconds in a 1v1. Shadowmeld-flight form for NEs, even with 9 guys on you, you'll get away and will only die if they get enough dots on you. Until next patch, Displacer Beast is a 30 second CD instant escape from world PvP, and even post 5.2 the distance gained combined with a vortex, or literally any CC will get you away from all but the most imbalanced of skirmishes.

Also, people seriously underestimate boomkins in 1v1 situations... People generally don't know how to heal themselves as DPS in this game though.

Edit: Also, feral burst with CDs is pretty much on par with the highest in the game, if not above. A skilled feral can kill someone in a pounce to DRed mighty bash, no joke.
Edited by Falcrest on 2/21/2013 6:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/21/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
hunter > rogue > mage > spriest > shockadins

melee are !@#$ for world pvp

any ranged class with stealth is the best
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/21/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Falcrest
There is no better escape in world PvP than flight form. Root - dash - flight form in 5 seconds in a 1v1

flight form is definitely annoying, but its much less effective if it isnt a 1v1 scenario.... something like deterrence + rocketboots is going to be much more effective if its not 1v1.

02/21/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Falcrest
Edit: Also, feral burst with CDs is pretty much on par with the highest in the game, if not above. A skilled feral can kill someone in a pounce to DRed mighty bash, no joke.

agreed. no question feral is scary as heck with burst.

02/21/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Plibt
melee are !@#$ for world pvp

considering the only melee i mentioned was a rogue, im assuming you're saying rogues are crap for world pvp, in which case i have to laugh at you...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]