Monk Healing In PvP

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have my 90 monk that I have only played BM/WW on since lvl one and I've recently been wanting to change it up by trying healing. I've always loved healing as its the only thing I ever seem to excel at.

I currently am in a toss up between druid, monk and priest. I know the play style of both druid and priest but I have no clue how MW monk plays or feels in arenas or bgs. So here a few questions(try to be constructive and detailed in your responses).

-Are healing orbs a MAIN staple to your healing spells(do you cast them regularly i.e. Holy Shock for pallys)?

-Once geared how is managing mana? Teas look fun and interactive, but I'm not looking for tedious.

-Is the diversity while actively healing refreshing and provide multiple options?

In advanced Id like to say thank you to any and all who respond. Ive been healing for years in pvp, and Im just really nervous about taking the actual jump to doing monk. And whether Ill like it or hate it. Let me know your thoughts and also what 'YOU' like about healing as a monk.

-Sakred
Edited by Sakred on 2/13/2013 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
02/13/2013 03:01 PMPosted by Sakred
I currently am in a toss up between druid, monk and priest. I know the play style of both druid and priest but I have no clue how MW monk plays or feels in arenas or bgs. So here a few questions(try to be constructive and detailed in your responses).

The style for MW Monks is kinda not describable, but its kinda mashed up with Disc Priest's spell casting and RDruid Hot's & Defensives, Pallys bubble. Like i said can't really describe it. The only way is to really try it your self.

02/13/2013 03:01 PMPosted by Sakred
-Are healing orbs a MAIN staple to your healing spells(do you cast them regularly i.e. Holy Shock for pallys)?

You can say that healing spheres are the holy shocks of Monks. Yea i usually cast them where ever i can cause of the low mana cost and good heals it produces.

-Once geared how is managing mana? Teas look fun and interactive, but I'm not looking for tedious.

Managing mana when geared, gemmed, reforged properly is really easy and good to do, everyone has their own way of managing etc but once you get the !@#$ of things everything goes smoothly.

-Is the diversity while actively healing refreshing and provide multiple options?

Sure, always provides multiple options, got a wide range of things.

Couple tips while healing with MW Monks is not to panic take things easy, to much i see people when a warrior has poped all cds and a hunter poped zoo where they would use all defensive Life cocoon, fortifying brew, dampen harm, HP trinket and start using big healz like Revive that cost 75k odd mana and hardcast surging mist or soothing mist and surging mist and they'd go oom so fast and thats the worst thing you can do.
Just take it easy if that happens, cast Life cocoon on 30% > hp when they going wild on you, use some self heal e.g Expel harm (also a chi builder), Use Healing Spheres cheap and good heals. And if they dispel your cocoon you still have 2 defensive(which you can use while stuned in 5.2) and a trinket, use one of them. keep LoSing.

Also nother thing is when your teammate is Line of Sighting you (LoS) and your trying to heal him is to use uplift where his getting low and you cant reach him (Don't glyph it for pvp) you don't have to be insight for you to use it, also renewing mist. Also use renewing mist on CD.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you, I was secretly wanting you to respond as you seem to have a firm grasp on MW and how they play out.

The main reason I haven't tried it out myself is because I'm pretty casual(4 kids, job, 25 credit hours in college this semester) so I'm just trying to get a verbal feel of how it(spec) plays.

I love how diverse both priest and druids play but my monk is already 90 and offers a new refreshing class. I will probably soon be trying to attempt to get into rbgs so I'm trying to get into a healing class that's desirable.

-Sakred
Reply Quote
MW is also pretty forgiving, gearwise.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
02/13/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Sakred
I will probably soon be trying to attempt to get into rbgs so I'm trying to get into a healing class that's desirable.

If you don't have any gear what so ever, buy the full set of contenders gear and run some normal bgs to get a feel.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Are healing orbs a MAIN staple to your healing spells(do you cast them regularly i.e. Holy Shock for pallys)?

Ive found that healing orbs are a HUGE staple for mistweavers. Theyre extremely effective kiters because of this ability. When you're being targeted you cant be spamming soothing mists because you'll get interrupted easily and as a consequence you lose you're ability to efficiently use surging heal/enveloping mists. So the most effective way of staying alive is to kite targets around spam healing spheres on your feet while using renewing mists/chi wave and life cocoon in case you get low.
Without healing orbs you wont surive as a mistweaver.

I can't say that theyre as good with mana as holy pallies or resto druids but ive been in several arenas where ive lasted for 20-30 mins. You just have to learn how to keep yourself from spamming surging heal and only using it when absolutely neccessary by using other abilities to keep youre dps alive and topped off.
Theres also a glyph for mana tea that enables you to instantly consume 2 mana teas instead of channeling it but turns it into an 8 second cooldown.

Absolutely. Mistweaver is the most fun ive had healing with any class as its a lot different than any other that youll play. Theres a lot more diversity in MW healing than any other healing class. Though, be warned, it can be difficult and it takes some time getting used to their style of play.
Edited by Freeney on 2/14/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]