Help me decide: Resto, Mistweaver or Hpally

10 Pandaren Shaman
Hi everyone,

Been looking to make a healer, and I'm interested in mainly in dungeon healing and eventually being a raid healer. I'm not out to break meters, just want to have fun and keep everyone alive. AOE healing particularly intrigues me. I took a Resto Druid to 80 during Wrath and enjoyed it. Any suggestions welcome.

Also, what's your favorite dinosaur?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
They're all pretty different in playstyle, and, I dunno, most people would not be playing their specs if they didn't find them fun. There's a healthy population for all three.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Right now Disc Priest seem to be the top when it comes to healing dungeons and raids. If all ilvls and player skill are about the same, disc priest out performs other healing specs by about 5-20%, depending on boss mechanics.

For pvp, shaman and druid are decent.

Disc priest can also do decent dps while healing later on once you get geared, i've seen 20-45k dps from a disc priest in dungeons, while keeping everyone healed, this is more than any shaman or monk can do.

They also seem very strong going into 5.2, especially with their set bonuses giving out free 100k smart heals
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you like AoE healing then Mistweaver might be your best bet. Paladins and Druids both lack a spammable AoE (unless you count Rejuv).

I really liked Brontosauruses. Made me sad when it turned out to be unreal :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Whatever you do, do not go Mistweaver.
If you want to be a ranged healer, is all based on RNG.
If your a fistweaver (melee), our heals arent even close to other classes HPS or capabilities.
Fistweaver AoE (Renewing Mist and Spinning Crane Kick) are unreliable require alot of stacking.

Its just not well thought out right now and I would avoid them like the plague.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I would agree with Cubchoo and advise against investing in a Mistweaver monk at the moment, our healing is all over the place and we are looking at another nerf come 5.2 with the increase of Jab and breaking apart of Fistweaving and Mistweaving. I've pretty much made the decision to put this character on the back burner next patch and return to my Discipline priest which will allow a much more thought out and well built class for raiding in the new tier.

Holy Paladin are always a solid choice, the Holy paladin I raid with is always pulling excellent numbers and seems to have good mana management. Also, the Shaman I heal with seems to have a lot of raid utility and excellent mana cooldowns.

Personally, knowing what the meters look like I'd advise Holy Paladin, unless your raid team would better benefit from the excellent utility of the Shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
My vote is for a holy paladin. Especially in 5mans, beacon of light makes healing a joy...you rarely will ever have to directly heal the tank. They are also the most stable class this exp that still is doing quite well, and there's nothing to indicate that will change any time soon. Tbh the biggest drawback I see is their dps spec uses completely different gear then their healing spec, but besides that they are great.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Druid is the most fun IMO. I have a holy paladin at 90 as well and while its powerful and ridiculously mana efficient, but its such a bore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Hi everyone,

Been looking to make a healer, and I'm interested in mainly in dungeon healing and eventually being a raid healer. I'm not out to break meters, just want to have fun and keep everyone alive. AOE healing particularly intrigues me. I took a Resto Druid to 80 during Wrath and enjoyed it. Any suggestions welcome.

Also, what's your favorite dinosaur?

Thanks!

mfw people still consider mistweavers a healing class. They're more like blizzards attempt to have a "support" role.

edit: but in all seriousness, paladins pro healers, they have fast bursty raid heals and the best tank healing in the game. Their long duration raid healing is basically eternal flame spam on the raid.
Edited by Imgandiloljk on 2/18/2013 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Hpally. Definately Hpally. Right now you have almost all the strengths (powerful spike heals, good aoe, wonderful mastery, fantastic scaling) and none of the weaknesses. Besides...you know, being a paladin.

Mistweaver is very new, and is undergoing major teething issues and suffering from 'we don't want it to be OP' design philosophy. Come back in a few patches, maybe next expansion for the spec to be done right.

Resto druids haven't had much love since Beta. They were a little too strong in Cata, and were nerfed hard coming into MOP. The new damage profile in raids really does not cater to them either, meaning a 'double nerfed' situation which has seen them phased out of progression guilds. Worst of all, while Resto's problems have been known since Beta it took nearly 6 months for Blizzard to even *aknowledge* that there was a problem in the first place. Evidently, druids are very, very low priority.

Again, go Hpally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I really like both Mistweaver and Resto Druid. I'm not so fond of Paladins, but most of that is because I sort of don't understand them. >.>

I really like the bright blue and white tricerotops on the Isle of Giants. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd probably have to vote for hpally - mainly because at this time, they're in a good spot, they're not getting mechanic changes every patch, and they don't need four hands to play well. In other words, they're stable, and you probably won't learn the mechanics only to have them change on you next patch.

They're also decent both pvp and pve, and if you start from scratch, the learning curve feels pretty natural.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Would just like to comment, for those of you saying Mistweaver is "Broken" or bad, I feel your grossly overstating. Granted they're not as stable as paladins, but Mistweavers in the hands of a solid player can still remain competitive if not take charge.

Holy Paladins don't have reliable AoE heals. With the cost of Hradiance, unpredictability of Divine Purpose, and limited number of people Light of Dawn hits. We have Light's Hammer, which blizzard is reducing the effective time by 2secs, which is only two seconds but that's a lot of healing in 25man raids. Blanketing the raid in Eternal Flame, and EF hots isnt what I would consider reliable Aoe healing. Single target and burst single target Paladins still rock them socks off.

Shamans are in a solid place I feel. With two potentially raid saving cooldowns in Healing Tide and Spirit Link Totem. Plus they have solid single target healing and excellent stack healing via healing rain.

The general consensus on Disc Priests and Resto Druids soung good to me. I've hardly raided with a resto druid in MoP so can't really weigh on them. I've raided with a few disc priests and they seem solid. Pull decent numbers, have decent utility and absorbs help with all the physical damage done by many of the bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Coming from my experience with raiding this tier Mistweaver healing is highly RNG dependent, mana inefficient, and uncontrollable. Our main mechanic Renewing Most jumps randomly to players and due to this presents an issue when utilizing Uplift, you just hope Renewing Mist had gotten placed on the people it needs to be before a high damage phase. Our only reliable chi generator is Jab which is going up to 6% base mana next patch. Also, our single target healing is clunky and difficult to switch when there are high damage spikes on someone quickly, due mainly to the interaction between Soothing Mist, Surging Most, and the other one (forget the name)

With the changes coming Mistweaver is going to be in a bad spot. We're getting more mana cost increases, healing % nerfs, and removal of chi spending abilities with the change of our t30 talents. It's looking like they are also making fistweaving extremely cost prohibitive which will result in an inability to fluidly switch between mistweaving and fistweaving, and require substantial commitment just to maintain the fistweaving buffs while not going OOM.

Disc. Priest is also getting substantial changes to their healing method. This leaves Holy Paladin, which has always performed well, just by checking raid bots they're performing above all but disc currently and with the changes to disc one could argue they will be performing on-par with disc or better. I expect them to stay near the top in regards to raw performance.
Reply Quote
24 Human Paladin
Thanks everyone! Going to try a Pally out. You all rock!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
For pve healing I think you'll be really happy with your pally. (They're pretty solid in pvp too.)

Have a great time. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd go with your druid. Druids are extremely good at AoE healing and pretty easy to get the hang of. You have to keep an eye on your HoTs, especially Lifebloom, but it keeps the druid entertaining.

However if you do not feel like dealing with HoTs (you said you liked your druid so I imagine you are used to watching Rejuv) I would then try a holy paladin. Our AoE healing is good, and with beacon you can raid heal while still keeping up the tank without even looking at him. Not to mention our CD's are some of the best (in my opinion of course) and can mean the difference between life and death in both 5 man's and raids.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Stay far, far away from MW. You will cry. As I currently am.

Edit: How silly. My favorite Dinosaur's are Stego's. Because Spike was the most lax dino ever.
Edited by Celestïal on 2/22/2013 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Personally, I have the most fun with my Druid, compared to Hpally and Mistweaver.. He also happens to be my highest level of the three though (my 2 90s are my Priest and Shaman, my Druid is 87, Monk is 82, and Paladin is 75). I also like Druids because they're so versatile and can switch to different roles. I've been Balance/Resto since I rolled him, and I decided to level him to 90 as Feral for the first time instead of Balance, and it's like I'm playing an entirely different class, it's a great change of pace.

Also, since you asked, my favorite Dinosaur is the Triceratops.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you want something interesting MW feels a lot different from the other healers, just odd how much you can do with them.

Rdruids are about the same as they have been since WG came into existence, toss a few hots, keep LB rolling, SM on CD, hit rejuv as you feel necessary.

Hpallys are also really strong especially in 10 mans, though they are pretty much the same old thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]