Few questions about Xarantaur.

90 Undead Rogue
Has he ever shown up in Lore?
Is he still immortal even with the Aspect's losing their primary powers?
Has he shown up in any of the books or comic's?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
1. He's a questgiver in the Storm Peaks, so yes.
2. Dunno.
3. No.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
As to #2 yes hes still immortal the magic used by the Aspects remains. Magic isn't dependent on the continued existence of its creator.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
He's a nod to an RPer.

I highly doubt his canonicity.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
He is canon. He is in the game.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/19/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Pumlaxer

And you can find a Kerrigan picture inside Goblin Shredders, yet I highly doubt that's canon.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I never knew he was a nod to a player. When I saw him in Storm Peaks, he told me an interesting story and I bought it.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

Obviously Tyreal is canon, the diablo universe is just really, really tiny. And Murlocs are capable of machine gun tech. Also, The Night Elves are in a secret alliance with the Zerg. Because after all, it's all in game.

Stormrage confirmed Xarantaur's backstory, at least, is non-canon. His character "may" be canon, but I doubt it.

I never knew he was a nod to a player. When I saw him in Storm Peaks, he told me an interesting story and I bought it.

He's more than a nod... The player, Xarantaur, was a lore poster over on the EU forums, and a friend of Metzen (least, from what I hear). His backstory, the one you read in game, was a word for word recreation from the posters RP backstory, which was heavily based on the Tauren's incorrect idea that they were the first Druids. He got the information from an ingame scroll, and took it as canon.

Nethera later confirmed that the Tauren just thought they were the first Druids, and that Malfurion was the first. This is AGAIN confirmed in Stormrage, where Malfurion is called the first druid.

Chances are Xarantaur himself is completely non-canon, but his Back story, at the least, is totally non-canon.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Someone should tell Blizzard(maybe at Blizzcon or on Twitter) about this NPC and ask their opinion on Xarantaur's canonicity.

There word alone will explain things once they are aware of Xarantaur's existance ingame(better yet ask them if the last generation of Tauren Druids only consited of him and if it was not only the last but also the only generation of Tauren Druids).
Edited by Archpaladin on 2/19/2013 8:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
I'd really rather someone didn't, because then Blizzard and there Horde loving, Night Elf hating ways would have no choice but to say he's canon, and thus retcon out one of few things Night Elves were the first at.

Because, uhh. It's not Arcane anymore. Or building the first civilization..

So let's just leave dead horses dead.. Im joking, of course (mostly) (only a little)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'd really rather someone didn't, because then Blizzard and there Horde loving, Night Elf hating ways would have no choice but to say he's canon, and thus retcon out one of few things Night Elves were the first at.

Because, uhh. It's not Arcane anymore. Or building the first civilization..

So let's just leave dead horses dead.. Im joking, of course (mostly) (only a little)

It's ok little guy. Everything will be over soon *Hides Dagger behind his back*
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
It's ok little guy. Everything will be over soon *Hides Dagger behind his back*

Funny thing, I don't have enough faith in Blizzard TO be stabbed in the back anymore.

See, on the bright side, low expectations mean I'm rarely ever disappointed (I let myself think 5.1 would be something different for some fool of a reason).

On the dark side, well... It makes me sound like a bit of an !@#.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
02/19/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Gandred

And you can find a Kerrigan picture inside Goblin Shredders, yet I highly doubt that's canon.

His a quest giver, with a his own quest chain.

A substantial yet easily missed quest chain. Giving one thr few look into the Taunka that we have.

Honestly his presence is so small in the grand scheme of things that people who are angry about him usual already diluted by their own Night Elf wangts.

So until stated otherwise, as a quest giver in game. As a character that take part in lore outside his own. And possible of existance is back up by in game info.
His is cannon.

Deal with it.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

A substantial yet easily missed quest chain. Giving one thr few look into the Taunka that we have.

Honestly his presence is so small in the grand scheme of things that people who are angry about him usual already diluted by their own Night Elf wangts.

So until stated otherwise, as a quest giver in game. As a character that take part in lore outside his own. And possible of existance is back up by in game info.
His is cannon.

Deal with it.

Stormrage states otherwise, as far as backstory goes.

Deal with it.
Edited by Ferlion on 2/19/2013 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

His is cannon.

Deal with it.

Stormrage states otherwise, as far as backstory goes.

Deal with it.

And how does that change the fact that he is in game. Has a clear impact on village and take part in history.

He is still cannon.

And so he is story and until it is stated otherwise.

And never claimed to be the first Druid, he says he was the first Tauren druid. And the fact that the very idea that Tuaren having druidism around this t ime so bothersome to Night elf fan boys is more telling of them then it is of the lore.

Honestly, you people curse druids for not been not elf enough and then in next breath you bark at the remote chance that the class and class leader you despise, is not in conic enough.

Get over it.

And deal with the loss of your special snowflake status.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Nathreim
As to #2 yes hes still immortal the magic used by the Aspects remains. Magic isn't dependent on the continued existence of its creator.

Woulda made fighting the scourge a hellova lot easier.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
And never claimed to be the first Druid, he says he was the first Tauren druid. And the fact that the very idea that Tuaren having druidism around this t ime so bothersome to Night elf fan boys is more telling of them then it is of the lore.

But he does claim to predate Malfurion.

See, Druidism didn't come around until the beginning of the War of the Ancients, when Malfurion was still only a few decades old (sort of. Time lines are not Blizzards strength), or if you go by the original WC3 version, until AFTER the War of the Ancients. Xanataur says he was a druid BEFORE the War of the Ancients, and more, the Tauren lore that's based off of claims that the Tauren knew of Druidism long before hand, forgot about it, and then relearned it in the Third War.

He's claiming he is one of the first Tauren Druids, but of the last generation taught during this time. Not only is this what he's saying, he's saying it was so long before the Sundering that the Tauren began to forget his lessons. He was already old by Tauren standards when Ancient Kalimdor (As in, before the Sundering) was still one piece.

This isn't possible.

Either his backstory is non-canon, or he is.

And yeah, we may !@#$% about Druids, and rightfully so.. But this isn't an issue with Druids or them being iconic. It's an issue with the timeline not being correct with his story, and more, an issue with him being a NPC put in because he happens to be a friend of metzen.
Edited by Ferlion on 2/19/2013 9:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
And how does that change the fact that he is in game. Has a clear impact on village and take part in history.

He is still cannon.

And so he is story and until it is stated otherwise.

Honestly, you people curse druids for not been not elf enough and then in next breath you bark at the remote chance that the class and class leader you despise, is not in conic enough.

Get over it.

And deal with the loss of your special snowflake status.

Stormrage came after Wrath was launched. It's lore takes precedence over Wrath lore at the time Wrath was launched. So Xarantaur is in fact, incorrect in his assumption about taurens being the first druids.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
And why do you care so much about it?

You said several times that ypu despise the druid acting as the night efls presence. So would it really be in the best interest of the Night Elves to be forever sattled with druidism from the vdyr begining?

Why do they need to be the first druids, what hell does that really give then. Same some very minor bragging rights.

And why is character, that is mostly a harmless reference, who has little exsitsnve outside his one little sphere of quests. Where the subject fits perfeckly with him, should be retcon out of existanc because of his flavor text.

That is is what bugs about it.

He is cannon,

He is nice character, and gave the Taunka ba.ack story.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
And his own backstory doesn't matter one whit about the taunka's backstory. He could be a goblin, and it would change nothing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]