What spec are you playing 5.2?

90 Troll Mage
02/15/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Breaktheice
FYI in 5.2 Frost's damage isn't getting a buff on single rotation. According to our Mage forum MVP, Frost is getting a single target neutral dps change, meaning the damage you put out will be about the same but the rotation will change as Freeze will no longer be used on bosses.

That was before

Last PTR Build:
Frostbolt damage and SP scaling increased by 23%.

Frost's damage has been buffed quite a bit. If that's enough to make it actually compettitive- I'm not sure.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Having played frost at the beginning of Cata and jamming the icy square peg into the round hole to make it work, then sadly having to switch to fire once I realized how dismal my performance had become (right around Zon'ozz or so), I doubt I could go back.

Fire until the next expansion and beyond.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
My plan is to start with arcane.

However, I'm expecting a 20%+ nerf to arcane's dps when 5.2 hits and this going to be very painful. I expect I'll be forced to switch to fire relatively early in 5.2, especially since so many 5.2 pieces have crit on them.

The only real question is how soon am I forced to switch to fire...

My guild requires everyone to perform in order for us to proceed. I can't justify telling my raid group I want to play a particular spec when a different spec performs so much better (and would mean fewer wipes and faster progression).

It's not about the gameplay style you like... it's all about which style has the goods to allow you to succeed. Blizzard's plan of "bring the player not the spec" is a complete failure in my opinion.
Edited by Mistwynd on 2/15/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
frost foreverrrrrrrrr
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Frost
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
FYI in 5.2 Frost's damage isn't getting a buff on single rotation. According to our Mage forum MVP, Frost is getting a single target neutral dps change, meaning the damage you put out will be about the same but the rotation will change as Freeze will no longer be used on bosses.

The fact that Freeze will not affect bosses means you lose the FoF from it, but will gain the damage from Frostbolt and the increased proc chance of FoF to compensate.

On multiple target fights Frost will probably take a hit, DPS-wise as losing 2 FoF per Freeze will probably not be compensated enough with the changes presented. The Invocation rework is also probably going to hurt Frost a little. Also no more Scorch to fish for FoF procs.

So really there's no buff to speak of to justfiy that Frost will be viable for competitive raid. Keep in mind that Frost scales poorly when up against Fire & Arcane, and normal gear has gone up to 522 next patch. So basically the better geared you are as Frost, the more better off you are changing spec to Fire/Arcane.

We're losing the debuff from frostbolt which ups ice lance and pet damage as well. In addition to having less FoF procs (since freeze generates more than the 3% proc increase Blizzard is adding), adding the 9% damage increase on frostbolt probably won't be a neutral change, damage for frost will likely go down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
PLEASE GOD PLEASE BE FIRE
I really liked going frost for the change, the cc and procs were really cool but I'm a fire guy. Fire is probably the most fun spec in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/15/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Rasthen
We're losing the debuff from frostbolt which ups ice lance and pet damage as well.

We aren't.

The Frostbolt change increases the damage of each Frostbolt. Additionally, Frostbolt still stacks, but stacking Frostbolt will not increase the damage of Frostbolt itself, the other spells (Waterbolt & Ice Lance) still get the damage boost.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/14/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Hakuren
Affliction.

This.

Affliction/Destro.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Arcane/Frost, but mainly arcane (call me crazy, but I'm more comfortable with arcane rotations).
Edited by Pandhorus on 2/17/2013 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
I suck at fire, so I'm going to start out as frost and see how it goes. :)
The latest frostbolt buff will likely keep frost at a viable level for raiding. I'm also going to learn the 5.2 arcane rotation and see how it plays out. Frost actually does okay on 2-target cleave fights, so I think it will hold up okay.
Edited by Lissanna on 2/17/2013 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Honestly I wish blizzard could make up their mind!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Perhaps I haven't found a way to play it well, however with the recent changes to Arcane on the PTR, damage output got destroyed. My damage dropped ~15% compared to the previous arcane changes (which I will agree, was insanely overpowered). Due to the Invocation change, we may be stuck with Rune of Power again.... Arcane damage seems to be more in-line with what it is supposed to do, but I cannot justify going arcane to do just average damage since I hate the RoP playstyle. I put up with RoP on live because the damage output is too good to pass up. Take away that carrot and I don't feel like suffering with RoP to be worth it.

As it stands, in the current PTR state, I'll be going frost.

I cannot render an opinion for fire at the moment since I don't believe I have the gear necessary to bring out its true potential. I'm sitting at 505ish ilvl with a T15 5 piece and it seems lackluster. At higher gear levels, it may be worth it.
Edited by Deepchill on 2/17/2013 2:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Frost for PvE, fire for PvP. Arcane bores the hell out of me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm playing frost, but the hitch in the spell-casting animation with the icy veins glyph is driving me !@#$%^- batty.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/17/2013 06:29 AMPosted by Pandhorus
Arcane/Frost, but mainly arcane (call me crazy, but I'm more comfortable with arcane rotations).

To me, Arcane's rotation isn't difficult. The challenging part for me when I Arcane is mana management and limiting movement, which is why I don't play it right now. Also don't know how Arcane mages will do on fights with heavy movement in 5.2 without Scorch.

I'm so used to never running out of mana as Frost that I've stopped making Mana Gems and removed the skill from my bar altogether. The only time my mana pool takes a dent is when I'm spell-stealing Cleansing Waters from the Protectors in Terrace (because for some reason healers can never dispel it fast enough so I always steal it away). Even then, it's nothing an Evocate can't fix.

Fire's rotation is also easy, the only thing you need to properly time is Combust, but Fire for me is gamble based and I don't know why I get so many cold, non crit streaks as Fire even with a spell crit of 32%.

Frost's rotation IMO is the most clunky, especially with Freeze being an AoE but being in rotation even on single target. Although I'm glad it will be out of rotation on some boss fights in 5.2, I really think they should have given us Water Jet or another replacement spell to make the pet more interactive.
Edited by Breaktheice on 2/17/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Arcane hopfully

if not, fire.

Frost is just not fun to play, even if its more effective.
Reply Quote
78 Gnome Mage
I started this guy fire, I'll continue as such. My other mages, and there have been more than a few all went Arcane in Wrath. I stopped playing my main soon after hitting 85 in Cataclysm.

I'm not making that mistake again. I have always loved the Fire spec., I regretted giving it up.

(I know I'm a lowby ((again))now, but I'll get there. And have fun doing it...)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Definitely Fire at the start, it's what I'm comfortable with. Want to see more Live impressions of Arcane and Frost. Might carry around a Frost spec too for Thunder Isle Rare soloing. They're tougher and have more HP than the 5.0 Pandaria Rares.
Edited by Digerati on 2/18/2013 2:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I started fire but have been enjoying frost recently, so might continue it in 5.2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]