Hunter, Warlock, or Mage?

90 Draenei Shaman
For LFR/Normal raids, casual PvP, random fun? I don't really care if they are top DPS as long as they are useful and fun to play! I have all 3 at level 80 and can't decide.

Halp! :C
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Definitely leave the mage alone. If you dont mind dying lots and not really killing things fast, then id say go for it. I play a,hunter as my main, and you can pretty much wing everything...pvp, pve, old school dungeon/raid solo, dailies, farming etc. its fun too! Warlocks are supposed to be fun as well, but they are sort of different because of being casters. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
My hunter is named fhuura if interested!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Don't play a mage. They're good dps but anything but fun, you'll have a lot of fun on a warlock. With their remake they have three entirely different specs. They are the only pure in the game that has such divergent playstyles between spec.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Don't play mage. We have level 90 talents that simply make our game play not enjoyable. I agree that hunters will be a joy to level, and if interested in some pvp, warlocks will be extremely fun.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
If you think you'll like beastmastery, go hunter. The other two specs are sort of screwed up at the moment.

Otherwise, warlock is what you want.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
As a predominate fire mage I have endured the good, the bad and the just pain ugly in terms of buffs/nerfs/balancing attempts by Blizz.

That said, Fire is fun, but it is also very frustrating especially early in tiers. If you are going to look towards End game content (specifically Heroics) then Fire DPS scales above all others - period and are FUN.

Demo/Destro Locks are also good fun. If you are looking for Endgame content though its Affliction all the way and they are as entertaining as hunters....

FYI I don't get hunters, I really don't. So nothing to add here. :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Mage no question. The ONLY person that says not mage is playing a mage. They want to be that special snowflake.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/17/2013 09:25 PMPosted by Fats
Mage no question. The ONLY person that says not mage is playing a mage. They want to be that special snowflake.

What's that? The people playing the class say it isn't fun?! WTF BIAS, don't listen to all the people actually not having fun! Listen to the people who don't play mages, it sure looks like mages are having tons of fun from the outside. I bet all the priests just want to evocate every 40 seconds. I know many ret pallies who would love to stand in a tiny circle and never leave it for a whole fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/15/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Surelda
Definitely leave the mage alone. If you dont mind dying lots and not really killing things fast, then id say go for it.

What is this? Opposite day?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
For LFR/Normal raids, casual PvP, random fun?

Since you're not interested in hardcore raiding you don't have to worry about perfect uptime on the mage talents. They're fine. Most who complain just never realized how easy they've had things until now (wish they could try Cata launch destro). In casual PVP they can still stomp most classes once you learn how. Hunters are similar and have the best soloing capabilities in the game outside of blood DKs. Warlocks are fairly fun to play at long last, do good in raids (provided you really like affliction), but are terrible in PVP at present sadly.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
For LFR/Normal raids, casual PvP, random fun?

Since you're not interested in hardcore raiding you don't have to worry about perfect uptime on the mage talents. They're fine. Most who complain just never realized how easy they've had things until now (wish they could try Cata launch destro). In casual PVP they can still stomp most classes once you learn how. Hunters are similar and have the best soloing capabilities in the game outside of blood DKs. Warlocks are fairly fun to play at long last, do good in raids (provided you really like affliction), but are terrible in PVP at present sadly.

Essentially this;

Frost is getting a boat load of damage loaded back into frost bolt, two / three bolts in a deep freeze (PoM required) is going to kill someone.

If you're not super min / maxing; just grab incanter's ward and use it like a reactionary shield. See incoming damage? Hit it. Otherwise; the passive is enough to keep you going. Mage talents are only aggravating if people try for 100% uptime. Like haunt in affliction; its not designed for that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
02/20/2013 07:23 AMPosted by Subrosian
Since you're not interested in hardcore raiding you don't have to worry about perfect uptime on the mage talents. They're fine

No, they're not - they're even worse for casual players. You're walking around in the world with essentially a third of your power permanently disabled. Want it back? Oh, well you need to get wailed on, or drop a rune and stand in one place, or sit there for 4s channeling an ability on yourself. Sound like fun? Oh yes, it completely is.... for sure....

Or you could play a Warlock, and stroll around in your world spec with your pet tank and have combat be fast and fun. Or you could play a Hunter and constantly be able to burst stuff out in the world. If you play a Mage, you are constantly, constantly dealing with your god-awful level 90 talents. Play a Warlock or Hunter? No problem, just constant fun.

Well considering "out in the world" implies that you don't have a tank or healer redirecting 100% of potentially incoming damage; incanter's ward sounds like the ideal, still mobile solution to small amounts of incoming damage. It even gives you that chunk of damage back when it is used correctly!

While everyone should be encouraged to play what ever they want; it doesn't help the state of any class to overlook or downplay mechanics that are in place to help with specific circumstances.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
02/20/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Subrosian
It doesn't reduce damage nearly as much as you think it does. Playing a fresh 90 Mage is awful - I hope you like casting slows, blinking and scorching while running. Since letting yourself get hit while doing that is simply dumb, Incanter's Ward remains a bad talent, and you're forced to invoke before combat, kite, scorch, kite.

Color me confused; "I hope you like casting slows, blinking and scorching while running." a ... kiting class... should kite?

I thought that was the premise of the class. Not face-tank-and-win. The point of incanter's isn't to block all incoming damage. Its supposed to shrug off some (ie, not all) unavoidable damage for your damage chunk back. It prevents the aggravation of pre-channeling invocation for dailies, or needing to stand in your rune and face-tank to keep your bonus.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
If you're looking for a good PvE class and one for casual PvP, a warlock would be perfect for you.

Though, if you're planning on playing arena competitively, pick any class but a warlock. As far as arena goes, we're going to be right at the bottom in 5.2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]