Will fire outshine frost in 5.2? (PvP)

90 Undead Mage
Been seeing talk around. Will having scorch baseline and having access to PoM as well really make that big of a difference?

Nonetheless, fire looks like a really fun spec compared to frost pvp
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
It will not outshine frost.

That does not mean it won't be completely viable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Fire is very, very fun. Honestly, I do better as fire than I do as frost. Really depends on what you're most comfortable with. I do think fire will get a slight boost next patch, but frost is getting buffed a bit as well it seems. Just play whatever you feel best playing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
There is a possibility that it may be dependent on comp, but I would say no. I'll probably be playing fire much more next season but I doubt it will outshine frost.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I've enjoyed fire ever since switching to it in Cata. Frost is still brutally effective in the right circumstances, but I just find it teeth gratingly boring or downright frustrating at times.

Fire is more or less still sub-par. But since I PvP casually, I'm just interested in capping conq each week, and then doing random BG's. And Fire is still wicked fun for just completely decking people with the right set up.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Will excessive PoM usage result in DF/pyroblast being nerfed even more? Probably.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Deep freeze/Pyro was nerfed?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/15/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Wyler
Will excessive PoM usage result in DF/pyroblast being nerfed even more? Probably.

You won't pick up POM, scorch is an absolute neccesity for fire pvp
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Don't comment unless you guys have played fire in pvp this season.

It is currently, imo, more viable that frost with all the frost nerfs.
I can keep a melee off me as fire much much easier than frost.

And for the kill shot, pyro proc, deep freeze, alter time, pyro (will crit), ATime, pyro (will crit), combust, dead. Massive burst.
Edited by Propheta on 2/15/2013 5:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/15/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Propheta

First of all, scorch is baseline for fire next patch. Second, some high rated fire mages run with PoM THIS SEASON anyways because of the crazy burst it adds.

And for the kill shot, pyro proc, deep freeze, time warp, pyro (will crit), TW, pyro (will crit), combust, dead. Massive burst.

And in what area of pvp does time warp matter? Is that what we need to be qualified to post about fire? Doing a BG or two?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

First of all, scorch is baseline for fire next patch. Second, some high rated fire mages run with PoM THIS SEASON anyways because of the crazy burst it adds.

And for the kill shot, pyro proc, deep freeze, time warp, pyro (will crit), TW, pyro (will crit), combust, dead. Massive burst.

And in what area of pvp does time warp matter? Is that what we need to be qualified to post about fire? Doing a BG or two?

a) I find that very hard to believe that a caster likes to sit still casting
b) I corrected my post, it's alter time, not time warp

edit: c) just went through 3 battlegroups, in 3v3, about 2 out 10 of the top mages were using Pom, none of the top 5 in each BG had pom.
Edited by Propheta on 2/15/2013 5:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
The biggest issue with c is that, at the moment, there are only two high rated fire mages. And one of them has PoM in his pvp spec btw...

But more to the point it's not about sitting and casting, it's exactly the opposite. With PoM you essentially cast nothing and build instant Pyros with Inferno Blast and then pop PoM in conjunction with alter time to turret Pyros into someone.

And I can't imagine anyone would enjoy playing it either.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Propheta

Just stop talking.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/15/2013 06:38 PMPosted by Pyrokinz
Just stop talking.

Sorry, I'll add, if you want to be a decent player. Else pick up POM, like you did
Edited by Propheta on 2/15/2013 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/15/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Propheta
Sorry, I'll add, if you want to be a decent player. Else pick up POM, like you did

No fire is viable w/o scorch and a lot can play it w/o pom.

next patch there's no issue though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I'll probably try out fire to get a feel of what it's like. I was watching Droon live stream as a fire Mage and it looks really, really fun.

As for the "fire Mage burst", I feel like frost can burst as much as them with the right set up, right?

Just one question: I thought fire mages were supposed to stack crit? I see some of them stacking haste.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Just one question: I thought fire mages were supposed to stack crit? I see some of them stacking haste.

Perhaps they were only trying fire to see how it goes. All their gear is probably still gemmed/reforged for frost
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Probably not, we have lost crucial ability after ability from cata and gained only deep freeze while everyone else just gets new stuff. We will still have ridiculous situational burst as always though, and with pom it will get even more crazy. Pom is probably better to take right now but I don't like it because the only reason to take it is for broken overpowered burst and I'd rather work for my wins although then again this is mop pvp, I guess no one works for their wins anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I can't wait for 5.2.

Glyph of purge adding a 6 second cooldown is going to be an indirect buff to fire mages simply because we have the huge problem of getting spam purged off of every proc, even through trash buffs.

I find that when we're facing any team that's 2k+ mmr in 2s or 3s, they know to purge spam me whenever I'm about to get a proc and sometimes it's gone literally half a second after I get it. I'll hit inferno blast for my 2nd proc and go to hit blanket CS on their shammy or spriest etc and it's already gone. And CS isn't even on the GCD.

Personally I would rather have purge protection than PoM, simply because I have more problems with losing my procs than staying alive- although Pom makes us a lot stronger offensively and defensively (pom sheep + pom Ring/frostjaw).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Fire is and will be weak to frost. Blazing speed/Ice barrier is going to be strong for frost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]