Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - VI

87 Night Elf Death Knight
the CPU itself shouldn't make any noise at all. do you mean the fan that blows air through the heat sink that sits right on the cpu?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Yes, Eithris. I was pretty tired when I post that last night apparently.

Edit: since last night I managed to install windows 7, and its up and running. I also installed the motherboard drivers (the disc that came with it).

However, the cpu fan is still roaring quite loud, im wondering if its because the fan has a 3 pin connection, but the motherboard has a 4 pin connector?

The power button is still unresponsive, I tried flipping the connector over, but then the computer just didnt start at all. Ill probably take pictures of it if you guys ask because im fairly certain its plugged in properly.

I also ordered an extension cord for the case fan, but until i get that im mildly scared of keeping the computer on for more than 15 minutes without the fan plugged in.

Hopefully I can get everything up and running by thursday(when the extension cord comes).
Edited by Creedyz on 4/2/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's possible that the power button is broken. It is a fairly common issue, and very rare for motherboard to be at fault for this.

If you know anyone who is tech savvy, see if you can test if it's the case at fault, or motherboard at fault.

I assume you plugged CPU fan to the CPU_FAN receptacle near where the CPU is? Download HWMonitor and report to me the CPU temperature. It's possible that the cooler is not installed properly, which can cause the fans to work overtime to make up for it.
Edited by Kalganized on 4/2/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
03/28/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Selvaganesh
Creedyz - there's only one reason I mentioned the possible need for a new case, and that's the way the power/reset switches and power/HD LEDs connect to the board. Often, OEM computers put all the connections in one plug that connects to the board. Not all boards have the exact same pin layout for the buttons and LEDs, so it's possible you could throw a new board in the case but not be able to turn it on because the connector has the wrong pin layout for your new board.

I believe this is my issue with the power button. I looked around about how my old motherboard was plugged in, and the power button plug and such were all on one connection. The way I managed to turn my computer on at all is by plugging another thing into that slot on the motherboard (it made sense to me because my motherboard had 4 pins in a row then an empty space where the power button connection would go and it matched the other thing I plugged in). So it appears I will probably have to get a new case if I ever want to turn my computer off without unplugging the cord from the back =/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I assume you plugged CPU fan to the CPU_FAN receptacle near where the CPU is? Download HWMonitor and report to me the CPU temperature. It's possible that the cooler is not installed properly, which can cause the fans to work overtime to make up for it.

Yes, that is where the CPU fan is plugged in. But I downloaded HWMonitor, and it says both cores are at 17 degrees Celsius. But the CPU fan is spinning at 4500 RPM which is where the noise is coming from.

Edit1: About 30 minutes to an hour after posting that I rechecked the CPU temps, they are now at 20-21 degrees.

Edit2: About another 90 minutes later, the cores are slightly higher, about 24-25 degrees at the moment. But the fan is still spinning at 4500 RPM. I'm wondering if maybe its because the current processor only has 2 cores? So maybe my new processor will fix the noise issue then I only need to buy a new case to rectify the power button issue, then everything should be golden.
Edited by Creedyz on 4/3/2013 8:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
CPU fan may not be being controlled properly; check BIOS and ensure CPU fan is set to auto. If uncomfortable with BIOS, you can try using SpeedFan to manually slow down the CPU fan.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
i currently have i-3 2120 cpu. would it be worth it to upgrade now to an i-5? how hard is to switch motherboards? would i have to backup my data to an external hard drive?

If your motherboard has a bios update for an Ivybridge based i5 there is no need to change motherboards. If you go to a Sandybridge based i5 like your i3 you don't have to do anything but change the CPU most likely. I have a i7 3770K and from screwing around with cores it benefits a lot from a second core, but after that core is almost non existent in improvement.

WoW benefits from raw speed of the cores, and Ivybridge sees about 10% over Sandybridge from my experience. If you want to change motherboards and CPU wait for Haswell in June.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Bump for people to see...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What's to come:

nVidia is preparing a huge price slash on their GTX 650 Ti, Ti Boost, and GTX 660. This will put Radeon cards pretty much no-longer-recommended unless they also do a price drop.

Since the price drop hasn't actually happened yet, I won't update, but it will come soon for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Question, I've got my 2008 Dell XPS that is leaning towards the grave. I'm quite hardware illiterate. My main question is whether what I've got is just a huge paperweight (still viable for my 90% WoW use - 2 monitors?) or even if it's worth rebuilding the current computer (“We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”) or if there's an issue with compatibility with the tower/hard drive/etc. which would result in a total scrap...

Key items -
XPS 630, Intel Core2 processorQ6600 (2.40Ghz,1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
Have ~ 4GB RAM

Much obliged for any expert advice!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
@Ghirth, the system is very balanced but sadly it's LGA 775 pin which means, unless you wanna drop 300 dollars on an extreme quad core CPU (Which u can get an I5, mobo, 8GB of ram for), you cannot do much. 9800 GT is a solid card but is getting dated. So you will end up replacing it all pretty much. Still a solid rig for the time being.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Chelsi - is it worth upgrading to keep some of the minor parts? I found this article (I searched 'upgrading XPS 630') and it seems like a decent move, or would it not even be worth it (and are their selections the same you'd make today)?

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/operation_upgrade_how_we_rebuilt_three_old_pcs_part_part
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
That talks about COMPLETELY getting a new PC lol...

I'll list a few issues to help you understand some of the key issues:

CPU/motherboard: Uses socket LGA 775, the only decent upgrades cost MORE than newer MUCH MORE powerful products

Ram: DDR2, older than the current ram DDR3, and MUCH more expensive. Going from 4>8GB in this case would cost 160 dollars and add less than 1% performance boost

Video card: You can upgrade this, but in games like wow which is more so CPU limited it won't add very much. Also note a power supply upgrade may need to be done as well. However, upgrading those 2 now you can reuse them for a new build

HD/DVD: If it's SATA interface you can reuse for a new build.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
But I can upgrade the motherboard and CPU together and not use LGA 775 (as in their example) right? I just don't know which motherboards will fit in the space.

The example they used looks to be LGA 1155. Is there a certain population of motherboards which would fit in the case and certain ones which wouldn't? This is where my ability to figure stuff out drops off rapidly.

The RAM they used says DDR3/1600.

I used to have 2 video cards when the computer was new, but am down to one now when one took a dump. So not sure if the power supply would support (haven't looked in my case, and I'm at work now...)

Buddy said I could look into mobo/processor bundles (example he provided below)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1246777

With 8GB RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Video card would be open item for the time being (thoughts?), I'm just wondering if I can upgrade those key components better/cheaper than a 100% new build.

SSD would also be something I'd be interested in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
You're talking about overhauling not really upgrading. If your case is decent, dvd and HD are both SATA you can probably reuse those. With that said, throw me a budget and your expectations and I'll see what I can come up with. Do you have a copy of windows 7 because you will need to re-install it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
That setup is fine, however this ram is cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148662

use promo code: + 20% off w/ promo code SAVE2041925, ends 4/30

Personally though, AMD FX Gen 2 doesn't shine unless you OC a little, that board should be able to handle a small OC but you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler like an evo/hyper 212 from cooler master.

As for graphics cards, I wouldn't go past an HD 7850 2GB/GTX 650 TI Boost/GTX 660 as I would believe anything more would be unbalanced power wise especially when not overclocking.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Was looking in the ~$700 range.

Thoughts (I won't be overclocking anything)? And will the graphics card support dual monitors?

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157293

(both bundled for $295)

EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card ...
Item #: N82E16814130910

($180)

The RAM you listed

($59)

Windows 7

($100)

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147192

($145)

Grand Total - $772
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SB1m

Better optimized since you won't be overclocking, better graphics card, from Newegg cost is 726 as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]