Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - VI

90 Gnome Priest
Sweet, will be ordering shortly.

And you'd still recommend the Hyper/Evo 212 Cooler?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Sweet, will be ordering shortly.

And you'd still recommend the Hyper/Evo 212 Cooler?

I'm running a very similar setup and i use a hyper evo 212. I love it, and my cpu tems are normally low. if you plan to overclock though I would recommend a second fan for it. It comes with one fan but additional hardware for installing a second. if you plan to overclock past 4ghz, you should look into liquid cooling. but for regular use, the hyper 212 evo is more than enough
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Only would need an evo/hyper 212 if you want to overclock. Then you'd need an I5-3570k+Z77 motherboard.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Only would need an evo/hyper 212 if you want to overclock. Then you'd need an I5-3570k+Z77 motherboard.

it nice to have the evo 212 even if you dont overclock but after 4.3 ghz, ivy bridge tends to heat up expodentially. at that point liquid cooling is required.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Been very busy with work nowadays.

Upcoming changes include:

Radeon 7990

Price reduction on mid-range GeForce products are in-effect. This caused a significant shift to recommending GeForce cards instead of Radeon cards at budget level.
Edited by Kalganized on 5/1/2013 2:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
So...I ordered parts Chelsi pointed out on the 23rd. Rec'd parts, got IT guy at work to perform the gutting/rebuild.

Issue - VGA won't work. Try my old VGA...won't work. IT guy put in some ancient VGA he's got lying around the shop...works fine. Tries another ancient one in the PCI slot...works fine.

Go back to either of the modern VGA...nothing.

Oh, I also updated the PSU, so it's a new 750W Bronze PSU.

Anyone have any thoughts? Proven the PCI-E slot is working with ancient card. I know my old VGA was working the morning I brought it in. Now neither the new or my old work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
On a new build, it takes 3 power cycles connected to the video card for it to read it. That's why you hook up the onboard FIRST and change priority to the PCI-E x16 slot then change it to the video card.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I just had my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard die on me. I've got a Core i7 920 sitting idly now.

In the meantime, I'm stuck on an AMD E-350 with some other stuff I had lying around. Cobbled together quite the unbalanced system. I have close to 4 TB of storage, a solid state drive, a Radeon 7970, and a full ATX case...all powered by a CPU that's comparable to Intel's Atom, or slower than many Pentium 4 processors.

15 FPS in Thunder Bluff is not okay. :( 10 FPS while listening to music in Thunder Bluff is even worse! Also, the CPU chokes up when dragging stuff around on the desktop. It must not like the 7.8 million pixels; I'd hate to imagine this without a dedicated GPU!

Make Haswell come out faster, Kalganized! D: This is going to be a long month, haha. Maybe I can find a cheap LGA 1366 motherboard somewhere, and in the meantime I need to get another semi-beefy power supply to push some of my now-inactive graphics cards for Bitcoin/Litecoin mining.
Edited by Kodiack on 5/5/2013 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
2. CPU Cooler + Motherboard + RAM:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5592454629#2

Cooler
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or its EVO variant. It should cost somewhere around $30 at most.

Motherboard
ASRock 970 Extreme4 @ $100
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ $105
MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 @ $120

CPU
Recommended: AMD FX-8320 (Vishera) @ $175

Compare: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285&Tpk=AMD%20FX-8320&IsVirtualParent=1. Price is spot on.

Is that about right? About $330.00 for a motherboard/CPU upgrade.

I can still keep my Radeon 6870 gpu and get acceptable WoW performance with that upgrade?

I have new, high quality power supply, etc.

Trying to roughly compare with various suggestions, e.g.

CPU: AMD A10-5800k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
Motherboard: Any A75/A85 based motherboard, strongly recommending OC-friendly ones
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-2133+)
Power Supply: ~400W rated 80 Plus Bronze certified power supply
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB or -smaller- if you are fine with it.
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: Cheap ATX mid-tower case, but must support tall CPU tower coolers and have at least 2 fans

Example build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uBsr

Estimated cost: ~$475

Thanks. I'm slowly making sense of it all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-performance,3461-7.html for comparisons with Haswell and http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5063/amd_a10_5800k_trinity_and_fx_8350_vishera_joint_cpu_review/index.html comparing the Trinity and the Vishera.

Trying to compare the
Edited by Bitterhope on 5/5/2013 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
http://pricecomparisoncenter.com/product/amd-fx-8320-eight-core-3-5ghz

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8448457091452031267?q=CoolerMaster Hyper 212

Trying to undertsand the difference between DS3 and UD3 other than the number of ports.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

But at the moment I'm planning on a gigabyte board, an AMD FX-8320 (Vishera and a CoolerMaster Hyper 212. And, of course, the replacement RAM I'll need.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Minor update:

Replaced Sandy Bridge Celeron and Pentium with Ivy Bridge equivalent.

Bitterhope:

If you are looking to do CrossFireX or SLi later, pay close attention to available PCI-E 2.0 16x slots. Some of them will have second slot operating at 4x when in CrossFireX / SLi mode. You need it to operate at 8x.

You should list final parts choices before buying, so we can pick out potential incompatibilities.

Make Haswell come out faster, Kalganized! D: This is going to be a long month, haha. Maybe I can find a cheap LGA 1366 motherboard somewhere, and in the meantime I need to get another semi-beefy power supply to push some of my now-inactive graphics cards for Bitcoin/Litecoin mining.

:(

Sorry to hear what happened to your PC.

Yeah, Haswell can't come soon enough. I've heard news about how well it OC's too... too bad AMD's response to it won't come out this year. :/
Edited by Kalganized on 5/6/2013 6:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Kalganized, you should see my build planned for Haswell, I am hoping to keep it around 2 grand but a lot of the recommendations are gonna make it tough.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I could use some help with deciding on a new GPU.

I currently have a single sapphire HD6950 running 1 27inch 1080p and 1 24inch 1080p, only game on the 27inch.

I am no longer able to play wow on full ultra with shadows on high since mop came out and keep 60 fps, so I would like to upgrade my GPU to accommodate playing wow on full ultra settings while maintaining 60+fps on my 27inch 1080p monitor.

The card that I was thinking on purchasing today is the sapphire HD7970, but I am not sure if that is overkill for my needs? or would I be better off getting a GTX670 or even a HD7950 and save a few bucks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
You won't maintain 60 fps everyone Rellok, wow's coding just will not allow for it. That being said your CPU could be the issue here as an HD 6950 is still a strong card for 1080p.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
My system

I5 3570K OC 4.5GHz
Corsair H100 push/pull
Biostar TZ77XE4 MB
16GB G Skill sniper 1866
Corsair HX750 80+gold
WD Black 1TB HDD
Kingston Hyper X 120 SSD x2
Sapphire HD6950
Cooler Master HAF X with extra case fans
Windows 7 ultimate OS

I understand not being able to maintain 60fps in all situations but since MOP on ultra setting in out side areas I have a hard time getting over 50fps, no issues in raids. After many months of trouble shooting the cause I have decided to just replace my GPU with hopes of improvements with my fps.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Hmmm You try the newest beta drivers from AMD? That can help.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Yes, I have 13.4 and also tried 13.5 beta.

Thanks for the feed back.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I could use some help with deciding on a new GPU.

I currently have a single sapphire HD6950 running 1 27inch 1080p and 1 24inch 1080p, only game on the 27inch.

I am no longer able to play wow on full ultra with shadows on high since mop came out and keep 60 fps, so I would like to upgrade my GPU to accommodate playing wow on full ultra settings while maintaining 60+fps on my 27inch 1080p monitor.

The card that I was thinking on purchasing today is the sapphire HD7970, but I am not sure if that is overkill for my needs? or would I be better off getting a GTX670 or even a HD7950 and save a few bucks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What addons are you using?
Do you have things running in the background such as youtube, streams, etc?
Where are your fps dropping under 50? *Excludes major areas/raids/bgs

Places where I drop under 50 in the world is near daily hobs and where there are a lot of weather effects. Certain areas of dreadwaste seem to eat away at my fps as well. Everywhere else I am hitting my fps cap.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I have tried running no addons with no change in my fps.

Nothing running in the back round and if I do it does not make much of a difference.

The weird thing is I don't have any issues in raids 10 or 25 man and also not in BG's.

The areas that seem to have the worst fps like around 40 are anywhere in MOP outside areas, like the minute I walk out the door of the vale I drop from 60+ down to the 40's.

I spent all options trying to trouble shoot this issue with no luck whats so ever, I even went as far to do a complete system restore. I wiped the computer and put a fresh install of windows along with wow and nothing else just to see if it was some other program causing the issue.

I have also ran many stress test on all of my hardware with no indication of instability, with the exception of the GPU everything is under a year old.

The only thing I have seen that makes me think my GPU is maybe not working correctly is if I try to OC it or even just use ccc to slightly increase the card, my screens start to flash.

This is one reason I was thinking it would be best to replace my GPU and see if that was the cause of my problem, but I also wanted an upgrade from the 6950 and was not sure if it is worth the $400 for the 7970 or just save some money and get a lesser card.

Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I was also wondering about the Sapphire HD7970 GHZ edition Vapor X vs purchasing the standard HD7970. I have read about the extra $40 not being worth the minimal gains in performance because the standard sapphire HD7970 can reach the same numbers (by OC'ing) at a lesser cost.

So my question is, would it be worth spending the extra $40 for the better cooling of the vapor x for overclocking or just stick with the standard sapphire 7970? Also I was still wondering if it would be better to skip going with the HD7970 and go with the HD7950 to save about $100 ?

Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]