Is this a 'bad' stance to take?

90 Orc Warrior
Now, I love my Warrior, and I love tanking ... but I'm looking at my reasonings for rolling characters and I've come to realise I choose speccs that mean I'll always get a fast PuG Queue. I'm bypassing whole styles of play for ease of access to end-game content, and then I shy away from the Raid Finder because I'm convinced I'm not good enough, and miss out on the Story anyways.

Now, having characters who can pinch-hit for the Guild should another Guildie be sick/decide they want to use another character/start climbing the walls and speaking in tongues is always good, but is it wrong for me to turn around and say "No, I'm maining a DPS Character for now."? I just want to get this guy to a minimum gear level to be a tolerable Heroic-level Tank to help out the Guild, then turn my Huntard into my Main.

As soon as the PuG system came out, love it or hate it, for me, it was a godsend because being an Australian Player on an American Server meant trying to do instances with just the realm Population was cripplingly painful. People were all either asleep, had replaced their entire bloodstream with coffee with the obvious side-effects or extremely frustrated already and wouldn't run with a poorly geared Warrior.

I just ... Warrior is fun, Tanking as a Warrior is something I can do in my sleep, with my toes (and I mean more the rotations/class abilities are second nature to me, not that I am a 'brilliant' Warrior.) no less, but I'm finding playing a Windwalker Monk and BM Hunter in the PuG/Scenarios is just as fun, but there's entirely no stress on my part, and being a helpful DPS in a PuG makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially since the last few times, my Huntard has been the only DPS who actually bothered to listen to and help the Tank and Healer.

Am I being selfish here?
Edited by Pellius on 2/15/2013 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's nothing wrong with playing what you want to play, unless it's screwing over other people.

Now, if you queued as a tank but insisted that you were a DPS, that would be a little out of line :P
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
There's nothing wrong with playing what you want to play, unless it's screwing over other people.

Now, if you queued as a tank but insisted that you were a DPS, that would be a little out of line :P

This! Play what you enjoy is the #1 rule as far as I'm concerned. This is a game we play for fun! If you're not having fun then it's time for a change.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This is a game, not a job. Play whatever you want!

Also, +1 for the pun in the title.
Edited by Aethun on 2/15/2013 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/15/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Jadoth

While I mostly agree, I have to say that the latter half really isn't true.

I've been playing MMOs with friends since...2003? Something like that? And I've primarily chosen my classes based on what my group needed. While it's a noble(ish) thought, it took me about 7 years to realize that it was making me really unhappy. I was often (not always, but often) picking up classes/roles that I really didn't enjoy.

There's nothing wrong with playing what you want to play, period. Putting too much weight on what others want can lead to your unhappiness, and could ultimately lead to you quitting the game you once enjoyed with those friends.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/15/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Saealandris

While I mostly agree, I have to say that the latter half really isn't true.

I've been playing MMOs with friends since...2003? Something like that? And I've primarily chosen my classes based on what my group needed. While it's a noble(ish) thought, it took me about 7 years to realize that it was making me really unhappy. I was often (not always, but often) picking up classes/roles that I really didn't enjoy.

There's nothing wrong with playing what you want to play, period. Putting too much weight on what others want can lead to your unhappiness, and could ultimately lead to you quitting the game you once enjoyed with those friends.

There's a noted difference between adapting based on the group's needs, and griefing the group.

The person you replied to meant the latter.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
is it wrong for me to turn around and say "No, I'm maining a DPS Character for now."

Of course not! Especially not for us. While I realize that any opportunity you have to apologize to someone is an opportunity you'll use. There's no fun to be had in forcing yourself to play or gear a character when it comes at the risk of you becoming frustrated with it. You've enjoyed your hunter and even your shaman. There's no harm in taking a break from the spec or the class and find something else to have fun with for a while. We still have people who can tank and enjoy it right now (even if Kaahn is speaking in tongues). You don't need permission to play what you enjoy.

You only need permission before you link me anything.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I shall link you all of the Ponies.

ALL OF THEM!

Join us under our pastel-coloured Overlords!
Reply Quote
is it wrong for me to turn around and say "No, I'm maining a DPS Character for now."?

nope

look what I did
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Priest
I shall link you all of the Ponies.

ALL OF THEM!

Join us under our pastel-coloured Overlords!

.........I have no idea what made you say this.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Because I link the Bossette pictures of Ponies ...

Mostly because of the reactions I get, but still.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Nah, if you want a bad stance, use berserker stance while tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
*Runs off into the distance, pantless* I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I queue as a tank while in dps gear all the time and it's an easy and fast way to clear a heroic. Even with undergeared dps, things die so fast that it doesn't matter with good ol Second Wind.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Wrong Char above, etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
........ I need a cold shower now.

Take that rose out of your mouth before the Server mobs you again.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
And on that note, thank you everyone, I feel much, much more confident now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]