is my frosmage crummy or am i just a n00blet?

54 Gnome Mage
hi

first of all, yes my mage is in the 50s and has no boas or any superb gear. however, in dungeons i notice that everyone, including warlocks in the same crummy gear are doing higher dps then me, at the same level.

my rotation is frost bolt 3x, usually more until my frost fingers proc, then ice lance and whatever else as fillers. i can't see using any other abilities to maximize dps at this point. during boss fights i pop mirror image, my icy veins and do the same thing.

meanwhile in the land of pvp, i fail too.

this is my first mage and i am use to casters in both pve and pvp (mains include priest) but will the dps improve over time or am i doing something wrong?

any answers are good answers
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
dont bosses die in like.. 5 seconds at your level

how do you even look at dps
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Mages excel at max level, anytime before that we're a waste of space in a party
Reply Quote
54 Gnome Mage

because i have recount blaring and i'm usually doing half of what others are. i use to think warlocks had the worst lvling dps but i may stand corrected. it also helps to know how to maximize your dps at any level in order to kill things faster.

id rather not use all the mechanics at this level, just freeze, point and kill without anything touching me because my dps is !@#$ and things dont die fast enough
Reply Quote
54 Gnome Mage

ps - in blackrock yesterday, two separate dungeon ques, i went through 2 phases of mirrorimage on the king. lol i wish it was 5 sec, even with better dps it hasnt been thus far
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Destro is fantastic dungeon dps, not sure how demo is right now. On the other hand, mages have been pretty neutered for levelling power, and our aoe has gone down the drain at max level. Any advantages we may have once had in dungeons has dwindled. The best we have at max is frost specs frozen orb.
Reply Quote
Switch to arcane. Arcane levelling DPS is superb. And the rotation is incredibly simple.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Most casters suck at lower levels, caster are bauss at end game tho. Don't even worry about ur DPS in dungeons and pvp at that lvl lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Seriously, just get levels and don't worry about it right now. But once you get brainfreeze/frozen orb/mage numbers will be better. Mages don't pick up steam till 70s and 80s. Also locks are just silly right now
Reply Quote
I hardly play my frost spec so I may not be the best person to respond, but frost strikes me as being primarily useful for CC rather than direct damage. I think of myself as supporting the tank and other DPS when I cast frost spells (frost nova, followed by blizzard I find effective with groups of trash mobs). All your slowing spells, like cone of cold, etc., can serve to give DPS and tanks a moment on catch up on their cool downs and avoid damage, etc.

I didn't really find myself especially useful in dungeons till level 60, tho, when the AOE spells start rolling in. OTOH, I'm new myself, so maybe it wasn't till 60 that I got a better grasp of what a mage does.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage
If you want to do damage at lower levels, just spam Arcane Explosion on the trash mobs. If there are three or more of them, you'll likely wind up topping the damage charts due to AE's base damage.

Your current method is what's best for getting used to the actual rotation, however. I'd recommend just dual speccing into Arcane; the damage is much higher on bosses/higher hp enemies, and you'll notice next to no difference on trash mobs.
Edited by Vocalyze on 2/16/2013 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]