More 5.2 news

90 Blood Elf Mage
Was breezing through some patch notes (and yes I realize they are changing frequently) and noticed this just a bit ago.

•Arcane
•For Arcane Mages, Evocation now restores 40% (was 60%) of total mana over 6 seconds, and consumes all Arcane Charges. For each Arcane Charge consumed, the total amount of mana regenerated is increased by 10%, up to a maximum of 80% over 6 seconds. Evocation remains the same for Fire and Frost.

Now running the Evo talent removes our charges?! Hopefully this does not stick. From scorch weaving to Evo weaving to this? Say it aint so.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552#class_mage
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
They want to remove any sort of 'weaving' that helps us stay at full stacks, so I don't expect them to revert this change.
Edited by Nav on 2/15/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ego
The main reason is like Nav said is to stop the weaving. Basically the devs don't want mages to cheese their damage out by just smashing 2 buttons. They want some form of rotation to go into the class. Honestly I like this.
Now if only they can make Fire better at single target.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
RoP FTW it looks like...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The main reason is like Nav said is to stop the weaving. Basically the devs don't want mages to cheese their damage out by just smashing 2 buttons. They want some form of rotation to go into the class. Honestly I like this.

Yeah, because AB, AM, ABar is sooo much more, then AB, X, AM.... :P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
02/15/2013 11:00 PMPosted by Cupofcheese
RoP FTW it looks like...

Hell yeah, another patch of being chained to the ground!
Reply Quote

Yeah, because AB, AM, ABar is sooo much more, then AB, X, AM.... :P

Seriously. Do the devs not see the stupidity in their silly tirade against the weaving specs when they are advocating a mutually boring rotation? It's silly and it looks like they are just pushing their personal agendas on us.

02/16/2013 12:00 AMPosted by Megamagas
RoP FTW it looks like...

Hell yeah, another patch of being chained to the ground!

Oh goody...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I honestly enjoyed scorch weaving it was fun to have 6 charges and use your machine gun procs :). Rune of power was the hardest part :/. If they kept scorch weaving in the game i dont see what they would lose from it. You guys were saying that the devs want us to have more of a rotation... Okay i challenge any of them or any of us to come up with something less boring/ more of a rotation, that in turn does higher dps.

Was i the only one who enjoyed scorch weaving? Like i said firing off a machine gun (arcane missles) every so often was/ is a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Agreed with several comments. I does seem like the devs never thought of weaving, so we are all going to be punished for figuring it out. There is no, "You guys thought of this, good for you, go nuts with it"...it's "you're not playing OUR way, so we're going to force you to whether you like it or not". I think that's the part that irks me. No room for creativity, just be a robot and do as you're told.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Meanwhile, Affliction Warlocks still do top dog DPS in 5.2 while suffering almost no DPS loss when on the move.

I enjoy playing Frost regardless (also found Scorch weaving to be somewhat fun as Arcane), but it makes you stop and wonder who thought it would be a good idea to turn Warlocks into a class that can move freely without any real DPS loss, a benefit that has always been exclusive to melee (and for good reason).
Edited by Deculture on 2/16/2013 5:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
So the weaving rotation is ....

AB AB AB when mana is 80% spam Scorch and Arcane missles until full again to spam AB once again to abuse mastery?

New to level 90 raiding. Many things have changed!!
Reply Quote
8 Draenei Priest
02/16/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Fhizz
Was i the only one who enjoyed scorch weaving? Like i said firing off a machine gun (arcane missles) every so often was/ is a lot of fun.

No, you're not the only one. I don't like it for the same reasons you do, though.

I like it because it's, in my opinion, a better model of mana management than Blizzard's intended playstyle. Alternating between expensive spells to damage and inexpensive spells to regen (let's ignore Missiles for a moment) creates a balancing act in gameplay that is just more fluid than building up to max charges and Barraging when you've reached that threshold where your mana will regen during the next cycle. Every cast is a decision, unlike standard where you can sort of just glaze over building up Charges. The only real decision comes from Barrage, and that's usually cast at a predetermined moment.

But if I designed a playstyle, I probably wouldn't like people playing a way I didn't intend.

So the weaving rotation is ....

AB AB AB when mana is 80% spam Scorch and Arcane missles until full again to spam AB once again to abuse mastery?

New to level 90 raiding. Many things have changed!!

You want to keep your mana as high as possible without wasting regen. Cast Blast to keep from reaching 100% mana, use Missiles when they're available, keep your bomb up, and Scorch when all else fails.

The easiest way to describe it would be an AB X rotation. X is either Scorch, Missiles, your bomb, or Rune of Power if it needs to be re-painted. This rotation isn't mana neutral, however, so you'll sometimes need to cast two regen spells (that means anything but Blast).

There's more to it, but those are the most important, basic things you need to know about Scorch-Weaving.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
02/16/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Raìden
Agreed with several comments. I does seem like the devs never thought of weaving, so we are all going to be punished for figuring it out. There is no, "You guys thought of this, good for you, go nuts with it"...it's "you're not playing OUR way, so we're going to force you to whether you like it or not". I think that's the part that irks me. No room for creativity, just be a robot and do as you're told.

I concur with Raiden. Instead of being congratulated for figuring out a way of maximising the specs mechanics, we are punished for it. To me it seems Arcane is a lost child at the mall with no way of finding a way home. Players found an engaging way of managing our mana, which was the whole point of the spec right?, and now it seems Arcane will be back to more of a wrath style rotation. AB, AB, AM, AB, BA.

I have spoken to some Mages who have had access to the PTR and dumping at 4 stacks is the rotation. There is no mana management at all. I honestly didn't see anything wrong with weaving. I guess we better start praying to the RNG gods in hope for some decent AM procs.

Off topic but it needs to be said. Please redo our 90 talents! My god
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
02/15/2013 09:37 PMPosted by Nav
They want to remove any sort of 'weaving' that helps us stay at full stacks, so I don't expect them to revert this change.

And as punishment for scorch-weaving, they're going to make an Invocation playstyle require us to both constantly evocate for resources AND remove our arcane charge every single time.

It's the most retarded change they've floated since the introduction of our T6 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/17/2013 01:50 PMPosted by Ryegeleye

And as punishment for scorch-weaving, they're going to make an Invocation playstyle require us to both constantly evocate for resources AND remove our arcane charge every single time.

It's the most retarded change they've floated since the introduction of our T6 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
5.1 Fire damage was too high, I think all who raided as fire could agree on this one.

Simple fix--->Scale down fire spells
Blizzard fix--->Gut combustion, lower CM % (effectively ruining fire for non 16/16HM mages)

Ok Blizzard, I can take one sucker punch and keep on rolling, no big deal. It was a good one too, hotfixed during the middle of the raid week. Blizz-1 Fire Mages-0

5.2 (planned changes)

Simple fix--->Scale down AB damage slightly
Blizzard fix--->Reduce Charges to 4 and DMG of charges accordingly (not bad) and cause Invocation to now clear stacks the longer its channeled.

Just when we finally stand back up on our own two feet again, after recovering from the first sucker punch to a completely new and ,imo, horrible spec, Blizz knocks us back down again. Blizzard-2 Mages-0

I don't even know what else to say at this point. Hell, I thought mages were a mess when I figured out how horrible our level 90 talents where. But whatever, we're resilient, and we'll just keep on keepin on I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Time to brush the dust of my 'ol Holy Pally I guess.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Combustion only based on 100% ignite damage was overpowered. It was SUPER easy to set up. The damage was way too high. I knew it wouldn't last. But they didn't just revert it. No, they made combustion even worse than it was before that.

The fire nerf was just so hard to swallow after they let the combustion/ignite buff go live even though the nerf it was tied to (pyroblast cd) was scrapped. Like, are they even paying attention during PTRs?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]