When does Affliction overtake Demo?

73 Human Warlock
Simply as the title states.

I was leveling as Demo since I thought it would be the fastest. I switched to Affliction because I've been told it's the best high-end dps spec for Warlocks and I wanted to start getting a sense and feel for the spec/rotation. However my dps dropped enough to the point where I switched back to Demo for now.

So the question is, at what point does Affliction dps overtake Demo dps as far as leveling goes?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Are you talking about questing or dungeon leveling? If the former, just about any spec will do. If the latter, Demonology because dungeon mobs and most bosses die very quickly and you can't Soulburn your DoTs yet to negate the ramp-up.

EDIT: To be more precise, Affliction starts to take off as a leveling spec once you pick up Soul Swap at Level 79.
Edited by Eurydemus on 2/16/2013 1:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Once you get soul swap use Afflic for leveling, use Voidlord to then tank the mobs, all you have to do is one soul Swap and they die, so pull a million dudes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
tl;dr - 80
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
lvl 79, when you get SB:SS.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I just stayed demo until 90. It was super fast. The AoE potential is stupidly good.

Demo gets around the fastest with demonic leap + burning rush. Sacrificial Pact and Carrion Swarm ensure you don't get wrecked by mobs.

That said, do whatever is more fun or do what you plan to do at max level to start getting used to the spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
T12 H, affliction out dpses the other specs in simulation
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Once you hit 79 go affliction and do sb:ss with Gosupremacy with soul leech talent your pretty much not going to die. Thats what i did to lvl :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Aff tends to not outscale demo/dest till about 480ilvl unless you run the max mast/haste > hit setup in which case it does by 463'ish.

Ladnek: You will not have T12 bis gear for leveling nor do the mechanics those sims were run on still exist in the game...../facepalm

For leveling demo is fastest (am doing one now for herald of titans). Especially at lvl 10 to 60'ish but at least till 80 demo wins. Especially in terms of 5 man grinding. DA + imps is also very mobile while glyph of soul consumption always works since DA is considered a demon form. Once DA gets fury ward + harvest life you can probably out survive tanks in 5 mans.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
affliction is the most OP spec in the game besides arcane mages i believe

i tend to match my simmed dps with both specs

aff i pull about 112k dps over a 6 minute patchwerk fight. pulling about 125-130k on garajal just because of the dmg boost after add phases.

demo i pull about 12k less than aff, but im also much better at affliction. (skill-capped)
Reply Quote
78 Worgen Warlock
As you can see, my baby warlock is still leveling to and I noticed Aff is pretty slow in dungeons, although as soon as BC stat scaling kicked in I can just dotdotdot mobs to death.

If I wanted to go Demo for leveling/low level dungeons, what glyphs and talents should I pick up? I haven't played a Warlock since vanilla, and they've changed the class so much I'm still figuring out how it works.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
You *can* use DA but it will piss tanks off. Soul consumption is solid for massive self healing. One thing I'm actually curious about is if glyph of dark soul works as a stat increase at low level. Probably not...just thought of it for lols. Soul consumption always applies to kills in DA form so once you are 50+ you can have both.

Get harvest life at least till you have hellfire though I still like it for later since tanks/healers are iffy at times. Use your imp till you get your FG at 42. Basically dots up if things will live msot of corr's duration then HL. Hellfire in meta if you have the DF for it. Renew corr's w' ToC once you have it. Don't bother with doom unless maybe the dungeon bosses but even they die fast.

After harvest life I like coil just for self healing but shadowfury is also good. Mitigation talents are your choice just avoid soul link IMO. Once you are at that tier you can get the shield from your FG so its pretty good absorbs on short CD.

HoG, HL, and soulfire are going to be most of what you use in dungeons. Once you get wild imps you get TONS of procs from ToC spam in boa gear. Demo just has more instant/mobile damage plus honestly leap saves you tons of time.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I found Affliction to be absolute bollocks for dungeoning, especially when you dont have haunt and soul swap. I did find it to be the most efficient questing spec, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Destro is amazing for dungeoning until cata stuff, from what my guildies say. great aoe and burst damage, coupled with an easy rotation.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Destro is always awesome imo. I don't know much about affliction because I haven't played it very much. TBH i hate it. But Destro is the bees knees. :D
(Destruction for life)
Edited by Aixedox on 2/19/2013 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I just stayed demo until 90. It was super fast. The AoE potential is stupidly good.

Demo gets around the fastest with demonic leap + burning rush. Sacrificial Pact and Carrion Swarm ensure you don't get wrecked by mobs.

That said, do whatever is more fun or do what you plan to do at max level to start getting used to the spec.

Not to mention if you take harvest life.

Voidwalker + dark apoth + harvest life = not dying. Ever.
Reply Quote
69 Gnome Monk
The problem with affliction (similar to most dot based chars) is up time. Things die extremely fast and you barely get ticks at low levels. Now as far as leveling I'm a fan of desto however its really a play-style preference (ie all three specs do well).

From the limited raiding I've done lately it appears that affliction brackets faster then the other two specs, it walks away quickly past heroic dungeon gear.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
It also depends on how well you can play each spec.

I cannot play affliction for the life of me. (I cannot keep track of that many dots xD)

I may only do 45k dps as destruction or demonology, but that's also due to my ilvl. xD

Anyway, 5.2 class feedback thread has pretty decent buffs listed as just being applied to the PTR, so Destruction and Demonology may give affliction a run for it's money.

Warlock
- Hand of Gul'dan, Shadowflame, Shadow Bolt, Touch of Chaos and Wild Imp Firebolt +15%.
- Soul Fire damage +22%.
- Conflagrate and Immolate damage +20%.
- Incinerate damage +10%.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]