Guild Authenticator

90 Night Elf Death Knight
Okay,

I'm kind of lost on this one, to get promoted to anything beyond Trial Member, in my guild they require an authenticator. I'm broke and I have an SMS protect. I don't have a smart phone, so no app. A few fellow guildies said they get them for free from Blizzard, something about a deal or some bs. They said to just call them and ask.

WTF is this? I'm confused, paranoid, and lost now. I love the guild, it's a merge of my two old guilds and I know a lot of the people, but still, wtf.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have one guildie who says Blizzard gave her the authenticator. Otherwise it's like $6.50 as I recall.
Reply Quote
Any idea what number they called, or how they contacted Blizz? Just seems kind of odd that guilds have a "deal" supposedly with blizzard to get an authenticator. I'm just trying to keep myself and my own account safe, and not begging Blizz for free items, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2029915470

Check the blizzard store, if you're eligible for the freebie it should show as such.

If it doesn't, ask in the customer support forum if there's a criteria they use to determine who is eligible for the freebie.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
All I know is, my guildie (before I knew her) had been hacked, and was broke and wanted an authenticator, and after talking to billing for a bit, they sent her one. I don't think it was a deal with the guild at all.

Any gm can set any rank as requiring an authenticator. My guild has 3 ranks that require authenticators.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
How do you pay for your account without an authenticator? When I tried to add time on my account, it wouldn't let me because I didn't have one. I had to play on a trial account for a few weeks while I waited for mine to come in the mail.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm not sure what's going on for you Zarsha, but by no means does everyone have an authenticator. It's an optional but much advised security devise. There is a physical one that costs 6.50, and one that's an app for your smartphone. The physical (keyfob) one is slightly more secure, but both are substantially better than none.

That said, you should know if you have one. If you're being asked for one, either you got one and forgot about it, or you've been hacked and the hacker added one. Can you log into the game?

It's very peculiar if you were required to have one but never added one to your account yourself. Something doesn't add up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/16/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Dreadling
I'm kind of lost on this one, to get promoted to anything beyond Trial Member, in my guild they require an authenticator.

Makes sense. It's to protect their bank. Why is getting promoted of such importance that you're stressed about it? I don't know what type of guild you're in or what the ranks mean, but unless you aren't being permitted to participate in guild activities, then the only thing restricted from your rank is bank access. And if THAT is what's so important to you, then it's probably good you don't have any.

In either event, authenticators are $6.50. If you can afford your subscription fee, you can afford an authenticator.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm not worried about paying for one, I was just unfamiliar with the whole talk of it, as I just recently came back. I was just wanting a promotion for raid activities, etc. I'm not worried about bank access.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You should really talk with your gm. I can't imagine any guild would restrict attendance of guild events based on the authenticator, but every gm gets to set their own rules.
Reply Quote
If you can afford one there's really no reason not to have one, it's so much more security for your account...and getting hacked sucks. It's like someone walked up and slapped your dog.

I believe you can contact billing and have them pull some game time to cover the cost of it as well, I know people who have done that for realm transfers.
Edited by Feyranna on 2/17/2013 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Okay, thanks. You guys can close this thread, lol. I found out what I needed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
As others have said, the reason guild authenticators are necessary in some guilds, is to stop guild bank ninjars.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm the GM of a guild on Vashj, and one of my guildies insists that he has an authenticator. Does the guild rank required authenticator refer to the app OR the mail order authenticator, or do you have to have the key tag authenticator for the guild rank option?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In my experience, either the physical authenticator or app will suffice. If that player is having problems getting promoted to an authenticator required rank, then maybe an extra day or two is needed before the game recognizes it.

Or they're lying.
Reply Quote
I was hacked once and offered a free authenticator. I accepted it....Oh and it takes 72 hours for the game servers to update with the authenticator stating that this person has the authenticator
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
While this is a necroed thread, there is one thing to add while it's up: to remove an authenticator from your account you must send Blizzard 2 x pieces of ID. Consider your willingness and ability to do this prior to opting for the authenticator.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
While this is a necroed thread, there is one thing to add while it's up: to remove an authenticator from your account you must send Blizzard 2 x pieces of ID. Consider your willingness and ability to do this prior to opting for the authenticator.
Not true. If you don't have access to the codes at all, you may need to scan and send them a copy of one government-issued ID for the person whose name is on the account. But if you're using SMS protect, you can also use that to remove an authenticator you can no longer access without having to submit ID. And if you use a mobile authenticator, you should never have to remove it even if you lose or wipe your phone, because you can get two codes from the app when you install it that will allow you to later re-install the same authenticator and get the same codes without changing anything on your account.

Has anyone tried running the Android authenticator app under BlueStacks? It's an android emulator for windows. It's free, the app is free, and this way you don't need a dongle or a smartphone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
When did you try to remove it via SMS protect? I spoke to a Blizz representative in depth about this issue a few months ago when I was thinking of getting an authenticator. I was informed all removes have to be done with them with ID.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]